Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

Hello, I received my GH5 this Thursday and unfortunately, he's already back to Panasonic workshop :( 

I had a dust blocked between the sensor and the filter. I took him to a photo shop near me and they weren't able to clean this dust. They think the camera was delivered as this. I opened the sensor cap only a few seconds to put the lens. They are almost sure it's only a dust, but maybe it’s actually a scratch on the sensor. I hope no !

The dust is very small on the sensor but very visible at f/22 on images. Check the still frames below, I can't keep that seriously…
And at f/2.8 it's already visible, like a dark spot on the images.

The workshop is faster than I thought (and located only a few kilometers from where I live). I should get back the camera for the end of next weekend, hopefully.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

P1020172.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, dbp said:

Came in to post this. Only a matter of time, I suppose. Maybe they move the GH line to the video division?

I would almost guess the next GH will not be a GH, it will be in a Camcorder style body. A true Video Camera. I can see Panasonic getting out of the camera business altogether.

Oh no, Panasonic is shuffling some board chairs! - relax people, we have the GH5, 10 bit color, IBIS, nice almost everything. I'm confident the GH line will continue like the other popular models. The only thing we can do is make nice photographs and videos so other people like to try a dedicated camera too. Relax people.

7 hours ago, lmackreath said:

There is no such thing as prores straight from the ad card

No: I can easily play (and preview from Mac's preview) the ProRes 10 bit files I shot from BM Pocket, BM Mico, GH4 trough Video Assist, so it has to be something different... 

2 hours ago, Cas1 said:

Oh no, Panasonic is shuffling some board chairs! - relax people, we have the GH5, 10 bit color, IBIS, nice almost everything. I'm confident the GH line will continue like the other popular models. The only thing we can do is make nice photographs and videos so other people like to try a dedicated camera too. Relax people.

Panasonic works on a 3 year schedule on the GH series. Now it just has come out. So what do you think Smartphones will be like 3 years from now? That would equate to at least 4 generations more by then.

I really doubt many people are going to be running out buying Panasonic cameras 3 years from now, I can't imagine people buying ANY camera manufacturers cameras 3 years from now, other than a few diehards like us on here.

I think cameras have come to an end. There will be NO money in making them other than some dumb ass fur covered Leica for 15,000 bucks, for a limited edition version of it. So I think it is going to be higher end dedicated video cameras and a few 5000 dollar cameras for sports shooters, and that will be it.  Young people could give a flying crap about cameras.

They get zoom lenses figured out on Smartphones it is Game Over.

webrunner5,

I can ask the visitors with and without cameras coming to the outdoor park I work at why they use what they have. Most will be happy with a simple documentation device, photographing vertical because eh.. what composition? But others bring dslr's, mirrorless and superzooms to get better photos. Rarely I see a video camera. But I believe you're right, the youth of today is not into photography, they are into social media and games. I'm actually asking myself how school treats the arts in class theses days, a few photo assignments would be cool to teach. Although people are saturated with images, and lack the examples in their environment to teach and train their third eye. Maybe we could inspire the art teachers to include photography in their curriculum? - yeah I think the cheap dedicated cameras will disappear. The superzoom reach will linger on, and for hobbyist and pros we'll have less middle and high end choice. I think military, surveillance, robotics, sensor, AI ('smart everything') are the growth markets, and core business. Consumer camera's are a side thing for giants like Panasonic. Broadcasting I believe is important, and having people grow to like Lumix may nudge them to get Panasonic pro stuff later on.

But hey let's return to the GH5-topic ;) Will it nudge more film makers of the future to use Panasonic?

7 hours ago, JazzBox said:

No: I can easily play (and preview from Mac's preview) the ProRes 10 bit files I shot from BM Pocket, BM Mico, GH4 trough Video Assist, so it has to be something different... 

He meant that the GH5 does not record ProRes. It records in an h.264 codec instead. To get ProRes from a GH5 you would need to hook it up to an external recorder that does ProRes.

20 hours ago, JazzBox said:

The very same mine late-2013 iMac, on which I easily edit ProRes from BMPCC, BMMCC, GH4 to Video Assist, 4K from GH4 and G7...

We just have to hope that those files were converted in some strange format.... I'm going to buy the GH5 (I sold the GH4 for buying it) but I absolutely need to check the files from time to time while shooting during music videos etc... so I always use my little MackBook Air for preview during shooting... 

Please let me know if ProRes straight from the SD card is going to play easily on a normal Mac :)

My 2010 MBP (12gb ram, i5) can not play the 4K 10bit file. It had problems with the GH4 4K files as well. The file opens in VLC, the first frame freezes and that's it.

Same on my PC (32gb ram, 1080 geforce, i7). 

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 can handle it, but not very well. Still having problems with continous playback on 1/4 quality.

@aldolega took a good point. These files are not prores, they are coded to .h264, you get the prores from an external recorder.

from Kholi Hicks...

"GH5 w V-Log
UHD out to BMD 4K ASSIST/ProRes HQ (Does not take the DCI 4K signal)
V-Log to Comet Color LUT (early 
early stages, converted from my B-Side LUT for Blackmagic's Ursa Mini 4.6K/Pro)
Sony Cinealta 4K 35 and 25mm (In that order) w/HotRod Cameras PL mount 
NiSi IR ND 1.8

Early thoughts: Reminds me of the A7SII, honestly. Not that far off, nearly same color and aesthetic, less rolling shutter of course. Pana may beat out the A7SII for base color, though.

Tell your favorite LUT builder to jump on building some, not a huge fan of what comes out of the camera stock. Alexa to Rec709 doesn't look bad as a starting point, still needs a fair amount of massaging IMO.

Don't have much time with it, going to mess with CineV and acquire some more V-Log footage to tune the Comet Color port."

17 minutes ago, austinchimp said:

Does anyone else think the skin tones are a bit orangey in the style of the GH4? Hopefully just the grading as from my own tests on GH5 the vlog gives very nice and natural skin colour.

Maybe it's the LUT?

6 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

from Kholi Hicks...

"GH5 w V-Log
UHD out to BMD 4K ASSIST/ProRes HQ (Does not take the DCI 4K signal)
V-Log to Comet Color LUT (early 
early stages, converted from my B-Side LUT for Blackmagic's Ursa Mini 4.6K/Pro)
Sony Cinealta 4K 35 and 25mm (In that order) w/HotRod Cameras PL mount 
NiSi IR ND 1.8

Early thoughts: Reminds me of the A7SII, honestly. Not that far off, nearly same color and aesthetic, less rolling shutter of course. Pana may beat out the A7SII for base color, though.

Tell your favorite LUT builder to jump on building some, not a huge fan of what comes out of the camera stock. Alexa to Rec709 doesn't look bad as a starting point, still needs a fair amount of massaging IMO.

Don't have much time with it, going to mess with CineV and acquire some more V-Log footage to tune the Comet Color port."

I guess it's just me that's not a fan of this in & out focus technique, sudden jerky movements that seem to be senseless and a grading that just doesn't seem right. In fact, if this were being used to demonstrate the AF of the camera, most people would say, "when is the GH6 coming out?".

It just shows you how much subjectivity there is in these videos. :)