Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

16 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but it would be nice as heck to be filming indoors and have enough DR to capture what is outside the window also.

True but even if you use a camera that can capture those outdoor lights pretty well (Sony a7s is a good low-budget cam for that stuff in slog2) you might still need to add some lights to your indoor shots. Otherwise you will spend an eternity in grade doing power windows.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, funkyou86 said:

If you would like to have some downloadable test footages, let me know and I'll try to make it happen during the weekend.

That would be great! Did you have problems playing the ProRes files to preview them without transcoding? I tried with Mac's "Preview" and VLC and I was not able to play them smoothly, while I played normally ProRes 10 bit from BM pocket, micro and Video Assist. That would be my only concern. Other then that I want to buy it since I sold the GH4 in order to buy the GH5 and I'm using the G7 which I love :) 

16 minutes ago, JazzBox said:

That would be great! Did you have problems playing the ProRes files to preview them without transcoding? I tried with Mac's "Preview" and VLC and I was not able to play them smoothly, while I played normally ProRes 10 bit from BM pocket, micro and Video Assist. That would be my only concern. Other then that I want to buy it since I sold the GH4 in order to buy the GH5 and I'm using the G7 which I love :) 

Is it really prores? I'm really not sure. I just got my camera, I am going through the settings, and will start to shoot tomorrow. I only tried to play back Luke's footage from the pre release model, my 2010 MBP died immediately :D 

This may be from a production camera as it seems the AF is much improved over some of the early samples we've seen:

12 hours ago, dbp said:

I think dynamic range has more value than seeing out a window. Makes for smoother and more pleasant transitions between light and dark, even if you don't need to see the detail on either of those ends.

That and color and motion cadence are what seperates the good from the great cameras, in my view. 

Oh I'm not arguing that, just simply pointing out that the value of increased DR in that specific instance may be questionable.

4 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

This may be from a production camera as it seems the AF is much improved over some of the early samples we've seen:

Oh I'm not arguing that, just simply pointing out that the value of increased DR in that specific instance may be questionable.

I think it just looks smoother because the lens is at infinity and it was shot at 60p.

In the flower shots, I think it's just the 60p because you can still see the weirdness in the OOF areas. 

I hope better footage pops up because, no offense to the creator and I am sure they are just tinkering with settings, but there was nothing I found remotely nice about that video.

The lens is clearly not at infinity as you can see throughout the video. Focal point changes from near to far later in the video. 

At any rate my point in posting this video was not to show any artistic merits on the part of the shooter, but to show the improved AF. I truly don't believe the earlier firmware would have been this consistent.

16 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

The lens is clearly not at infinity as you can see throughout the video. Focal point changes from near to far later in the video. 

At any rate my point in posting this video was not to show any artistic merits on the part of the shooter, but to show the improved AF. I truly don't believe the earlier firmware would have been this consistent.

Sorry I spoke too soon, I was originally referring to the walking down the street section.

I've used enough Panasonic cameras and have seen enough from the GH5 to know that their contrast based AF is only capable of so much and we probably shouldn't expect miracles here.

Btw, my point wasn't to question the artistic merit of the shooter, my point was that I don't think the AF looks that good, nor does the out of camera video quality at 4K 60p... of course there could be plenty of reasons not related to the camera for that.

Yeah that scenario is definitely a better use of the CAF... it looked good.

I am seriously considering the GH5 and have almost preordered it a half a dozen times over the past week, but I have been too flippant the past 6 months with my camera purchases, and since my next purchase will be with me for at least the next year or two, I need to be very convinced.

I have seen some nice footage from great shooters, now I am hoping to see some good footage from average shooters.... because honestly that's where my skill set lies. 

4 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Just got mine from CVP! If you would like to have some downloadable test footages, let me know and I'll try to make it happen during the weekend.

If you have access to a GH4, I would love to see several shots of a subject matter in front of a window, in order to gauge the dynamic range improvements of the GH5.  Ideally at an optimal lower ISO, and maybe a few higher ISO shots.    Thanks!

9 minutes ago, 4KFILM.com said:

If you have access to a GH4, I would love to see several shots of a subject matter in front of a window, in order to gauge the dynamic range improvements of the GH5.  Ideally at an optimal lower ISO, and maybe a few higher ISO shots.    Thanks!

I'll have acces to a GH4 in the middle of the next week, will do the video for you than :)

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Yeah that scenario is definitely a better use of the CAF... it looked good.

I am seriously considering the GH5 and have almost preordered it a half a dozen times over the past week, but I have been too flippant the past 6 months with my camera purchases, and since my next purchase will be with me for at least the next year or two, I need to be very convinced.

I have seen some nice footage from great shooters, now I am hoping to see some good footage from average shooters.... because honestly that's where my skill set lies. 

Hehe...I'm in no denial myself!:glasses:...I know I'll get one...own 26 lenses already (yikes!) and just bought the Panny/Leica 12-60 especially to go with the GH5...really glad I did judging by the  clip by Richard today though...

20 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Is it really prores? I'm really not sure. I just got my camera, I am going through the settings, and will start to shoot tomorrow. I only tried to play back Luke's footage from the pre release model, my 2010 MBP died immediately :D 

The very same mine late-2013 iMac, on which I easily edit ProRes from BMPCC, BMMCC, GH4 to Video Assist, 4K from GH4 and G7...

We just have to hope that those files were converted in some strange format.... I'm going to buy the GH5 (I sold the GH4 for buying it) but I absolutely need to check the files from time to time while shooting during music videos etc... so I always use my little MackBook Air for preview during shooting... 

Please let me know if ProRes straight from the SD card is going to play easily on a normal Mac :)