Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

38 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I thought the skin tones looked damn good to me is the reason I Did post the video. For once a Panasonic GH- series camera that does not look well Videoish, looks more "Filmic", hell not sure if that is even a word?

I don't want cameras that you can cut your face on. Hell buy a Sony A7r mkII if you want that. I personally liked the skin looks, colors overall.  I would be happy as hell if I Could get that look in one.

I think finally Panasonic is forgetting that their cameras take photographs, and that it is a Movie camera first.  :glasses:  Movie cameras are not suppose to be sharp as heck in my mind anyways..

Nothing to worry about. It's just the opinion of one old guy with liver disease.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Any dynamic range tests out yet?  I'd love to see a side-by-side of the GH5 and GH4.  Not a chart, but actually living, breathing images.  It would be nice to see a few with pushed shadows, as well, at more optimum ISO settings.   I'd like to see if the quoted 2/3 stop difference is apparent.  

29 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Nothing to worry about. It's just the opinion of one old guy with liver disease.

Well you have a opinion just like I have. IF you like razor sharp output, hell who I am to suggest you are wrong. I guess I would rather be able to have it Your way and make it look My way. Win Win. So you have a legit point on the video. but we didn't shoot or grade it so we have no clue what the person did in camera or in post.

3 minutes ago, 4KFILM.com said:

Any dynamic range tests out yet?  I'd love to see a side-by-side of the GH5 and GH4.  Not a chart, but actually living, breathing images.  It would be nice to see a few with pushed shadows, as well, at more optimum ISO settings.   I'd like to see if the quoted 2/3 stop difference is apparent.  

I am sure someone will do that sort of test soon. Yeah DR and better low light would have to bet the top tests to do against each of them.

Has anyone seen any comparisons of the new Dual IS II vs IBIS only on the GH5 yet? 
I have seen some videos of Dual IS, but none comparing it to IBIS only. 
I'm curious to see how much of a difference it makes (for video)

6 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I saw a host of photos and videos shot on the GH5. I suspect the Dynamic Range may be less for photos than the GH4 and more for video. Which is ok, quite frankly, because 12.8 stops is pretty respectable for a sensor this size. 

Wow that would damn near be BMPCC range. Hmm, that would be cool if it were. But I find that a bit hard to believe.  My Af100A is really only 10.1 to maybe 10.5 stops. That would be a Big improvement in a pretty short time, new sensor or not..

But I guess we will find out soon enough, be lots of tests checking it.

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow that would damn near be BMPCC range. Hmm, that would be cool if it were. But I find that a bit hard to believe.  My Af100A is really only 10.1 to maybe 10.5 stops. That would be a Big improvement in a pretty short time, new sensor or not..

But I guess we will find out soon enough, be lots of tests checking it.

The GH4 has 12.8 stops for Photo. Video would be more on the lines of 11+ stops. 

12.8 stops for the GH4 is for stills in RAW at ISO 100 only.     It drops away quite quickly as you go up the ISO range (as most cameras do). 

I think we worry about DR headline numbers too much.      

As long as there is enough is all that really matters (unless you are shooting a Hollywood feature film maybe).

Yeah but it would be nice as heck to be filming indoors and have enough DR to capture what is outside the window also. I mean that is what WE see with our own eyes. I would think that would be a nice tool to have in your bag as they say. I sure as heck would Not turn more DR down.  :dizzy:

And I know shadows are where you can add a lot of suspense, but it would be neat to be able to sort of see at least the outline of the shadows. That is a big reason Film sort of has a 3D effect to it not counting DoF adding to it. Black and White movies particularity.

That is why animals only see in B&W, it has incredible contrast and DoF really stands out more.

I almost always have my AF-100A EVF set to B&W view. It is way easier to focus in B&W. All ENG cameras have B&W options on their viewfinders.

2 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

But often, what's going on outside the window when shooting indoors, is just a distraction that diverts attention from the indoor subject.

Very true, but I would sure like the option of being able to control it IF I don't want it, and on interviews you are right, it can be a Big distraction.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but it would be nice as heck to be filming indoors and have enough DR to capture what is outside the window also. I mean that is what WE see with our own eyes. I would think that would be a nice tool to have in your bag as they say. I sure as heck would Not turn more DR down.  :dizzy:

And I know shadows are where you can add a lot of suspense, but it would be neat to be able to sort of see at least the outline of the shadows. That is a big reason Film sort of has a 3D effect to it not counting DoF adding to it. Black and White movies particularity.

That is why animals only see in B&W, it has incredible contrast and DoF really stands out more.

I almost always have my AF-100A EVF set to B&W view. It is way easier to focus in B&W. All ENG cameras have B&W options on their viewfinders.

Very easy in that rare case where it's relevant, to diminish the DR of the scene, using a couple of lights...as it is 11 to 12 stops are quite respectable:glasses::glasses:

1 hour ago, noone said:

12.8 stops for the GH4 is for stills in RAW at ISO 100 only.     It drops away quite quickly as you go up the ISO range (as most cameras do). 

I think we worry about DR headline numbers too much.      

As long as there is enough is all that really matters (unless you are shooting a Hollywood feature film maybe).

Actually if you were shooting a Hollywood feature film the  DR would be more than adequate, as you would have lights and Grips and Gaffers...but they would also insist that you shoot on an Alexa! :glasses:...and I agree with you about DR...

6 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

But often, what's going on outside the window when shooting indoors, is just a distraction that diverts attention from the indoor subject.

I think dynamic range has more value than seeing out a window. Makes for smoother and more pleasant transitions between light and dark, even if you don't need to see the detail on either of those ends.

That and color and motion cadence are what seperates the good from the great cameras, in my view.