Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

@jonpais

Strange! In the picture you posted above, your skin seems rich and evenly coloured to me. But in the YouTube video there's all sorts of red patchiness going on.

jonpaid_wtf.JPG

That's different lenses on each shot btw. The red patchiness is there on both shots, but the Leica is a little darker/contrasty so that might have something to do with it. 

It's there on @jonpais other video with the 12mm too. Could it be that -2 contrast setting?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

That's different lenses on each shot btw. The red patchiness is there on both shots, but the Leica is a little darker/contrasty so that might have something to do with it. 

It's there on @jonpais other video with the 12mm too. Could it be that -2 contrast setting?

@Fredrik Lyhne I double checked myself, the same frame in my original file with the Leica and over at YouTube. YouTube is definitely adding patchiness and red in my complexion, making me look like Quasimodo.

@Fredrik Lyhne Are you seeing anything in the GH5 that would convince you to upgrade?

15 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Fredrik Lyhne I double checked myself, the same frame in my original file with the Leica and over at YouTube. YouTube is definitely adding patchiness and red in my complexion, making me look like Quasimodo.

@Fredrik Lyhne Are you seeing anything in the GH5 that would convince you to upgrade?

Well, that's good news, sort of... It's looks a lot better on Safari than Chrome btw. 

I'm seeing lots, and have been since I got my GX85 in June. The GH5 is actually a little overkill for me. Something between the G85 and GH5 would have been sufficient, but that's not going to happen. The way I see it is that I'm paying 500 $ more and getting a camera that I will have for years, until the next GH is out. 

Seriously, what's not to like? Color, RS, noise performance, crop, stabilization is much improved over the GH4. DR could always be better but apart from that it check's basically every mark off the list. 

I'm know there's other great cameras in that price range, but the GH5 is by far the best production tool in my opinion. 

Here's my trick with Panny cameras I shoot tungsten at 4000k , never 3200k as it looks too pale on skin , I like warm tones , is shot the whole of the Pandora movie at 4000k for the tungsten ( arri Fresnels) and all the exterior day at 6500k not 5600k , and I've used that for the past 3 years on all panny cameras , it just looks nicer on skin tones , just dial in the kelvin manually , don't use presets at all

2 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Something between the G85 and GH5 would have been sufficient, but that's not going to happen.

But it is going to happen, and I've been saying all along that we can expect an announcement  of a premium rangefinder style body by the fall of this year with some of the refinements of the GH5. Which features those will be is anybody's guess, but unlike Canon, when Panasonic comes out with stuff like 4K Photo, DFD technology, Dual IBIS, highlight and shadow curves, monochrome live view, and tons of other features, they don't just reserve them for their high end cameras. 

6 minutes ago, andy lee said:

Here's my trick with Panny cameras I shoot tungsten at 4000k , never 3200k as it looks too pale on skin , I like warm tones , is shot the whole of the Pandora movie at 4000k for the tungsten ( arri Fresnels) and all the exterior day at 6500k not 5600k , and I've used that for the past 3 years on all panny cameras , it just looks nicer on skin tones , just dial in the kelvin manually , don't use presets at all

Precisely - if you're using lighting, there's no excuse in the world for using presets, except out of sheer laziness.

19 minutes ago, jonpais said:

But it is going to happen, and I've been saying all along that we can expect an announcement  of a premium rangefinder style body by the fall of this year with some of the refinements of the GH5. Which features those will be is anybody's guess, but unlike Canon, when Panasonic comes out with stuff like 4K Photo, DFD technology, Dual IBIS, highlight and shadow curves, monochrome live view, and tons of other features, they don't just reserve them for their high end cameras. 

Precisely - if you're using lighting, there's no excuse in the world for using presets, except out of sheer laziness.

I highly doubt it. I think they're going to be releasing an update to the GX8, but there is no guarantee it will even have a headphone jack. I'm guessing it will be aimed towards photographers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but no other Panasonic camera except the GH-line has ever had as high frame rates, bigger batteries, headphone jack, v-log L etc. Ergonomics is subjective, but I prefer the GH-line and GX8 over the smaller G85 and GX85.

The GH5 is meant to last for 3 years, why would they release a cheaper similar camera to compete with it? Maybe in a year or two we will see 4K 60p in a cheaper Panasonic camera.

9 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

I highly doubt it. I think they're going to be releasing an update to the GX8, but there is no guarantee it will even have a headphone jack. I'm guessing it will be aimed towards photographers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but no other Panasonic camera except the GH-line has ever had as high frame rates, bigger batteries, headphone jack, v-log L etc. Ergonomics is subjective, but I prefer the GH-line and GX8 over the smaller G85 and GX85.

The GH5 is meant to last for 3 years, why would they release a cheaper similar camera to compete with it? Maybe in a year or two we will see 4K 60p in a cheaper Panasonic camera.

Many of the features that were on the GH4 were inherited by the G85, and it arguably has the better sensor, better color and more accurate white balance (some will disagree, that's fine). Not only that, but they added IBIS to the G85, one reason I stopped using the GH4 and eventually sold it. And for me, the G85 is the perfect size. But opinions are what make the world go 'round (or something like that). 

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

Many of the features that were on the GH4 were inherited by the G85, and it arguably has the better sensor, better color and more accurate white balance (some will disagree, that's fine). Not only that, but they added IBIS to the G85, one reason I stopped using the GH4 and eventually sold it. And for me, the G85 is the perfect size. But opinions are what make the world go 'round (or something to like that). 

And the G85 came out almost 3 years after the GH4 which is what I'm saying. That's a little too long to wait for me. 

Don't know if that's for me but,  I don't disagree that the G85 has better color and more accurate WB. I posted that many months ago as the main reason to why I sold my GH4.

11 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

17 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

And the G85 came out almost 3 years after the GH4 which is what I'm saying. That's a little too long to wait for me. 

Don't know if that's for me but,  I don't disagree that the G85 has better color and more accurate WB. I posted that many months ago as the main reason to why I sold my GH4.

If it were a rangefinder style camera, it wouldn't necessarily be competing with the DSLR shaped body of the GH5. Many people, myself included, prefer the ergonomics of the DSLR style. Remember, Panasonic also released the GM1 shortly after the GH4, which was a hit among several of us here, as well the G7, which was like a poor man's GH4, and I believe even Andy Lee said he used six or seven of them on a production. So there will still be lots of innovation, and as I've said in the past, I never used a tenth of the features on my GH4, and I would most likely not use 1/20th of the features of the GH5 after I've played with them for a while. For example, I never touched master pedestal, i don't do multi cam work, so I have no use for color bars, I don't do stills, so I have no need for high buffer rates, I never shot V-Log or anamorphic, I never used 4K photo and on and on, all these features I'm paying for but end up not using. 

15 minutes ago, jonpais said:

If it were a rangefinder style camera, it wouldn't necessarily be competing with the DSLR shaped body of the GH5. Many people, myself included, prefer the ergonomics of the DSLR style. Remember, Panasonic also released the GM1 shortly after the GH4, which was a hit among several of us here, as well the G7, which was like a poor man's GH4, and I believe even Andy Lee said he used six or seven of them on a production. So there will still be lots of innovation, and as I've said in the past, I never used a tenth of the features on my GH4, and I would most likely not use 1/20th of the features of the GH5 after I've played with them for a while. For example, I never touched master pedestal, i don't do multi cam work, so I have no use for color bars, I don't do stills, so I have no need for high buffer rates, I never shot V-Log or anamorphic, I never used 4K photo and on and on, all these features I'm paying for but end up not using. 

It would be competing if it had the same features, which it won't. That's all I'm saying. 

8 hours ago, jcs said:

This is a no excuse camera, now anyone can make a blockbuster :). @Orangenz are you waiting for Peter Jackson to get his so you can combine cameras for District Kong Hobbit IX 3D? If you shoot it Birdman style in one take then throw on a LUT, you'd be done in about two hours! ;)  

No no, just a few pictures for me. Still have a backlog of all kinds of stuff to edit yet. 

3 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Quite Interesting. Panasonic has different timelines regarding when the HJ5 will release across various countries. And, a few people already seem t have received their copies and some people have also posted unboxing videos. 

Indeed. Seems to be still unavailable in Switzerland. Would have gone and bought one today to use on this weekend on a city trip (leaving tomorrow morning), now I'll wait and see the independent user reviews first.

Germany is available, when I checked earlier there was even two kits left on Amazon Germany.

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

I like skin tones that have some richness, tonality, and texture. I dislike washed out out skin tones with no texture or detail, particularly in shots of men. In the fashion shoot we saw earlier, shot with the Leica 42.5mm f/1.2, the lighting was very soft and flattering, and the model is wearing makeup, so we won't se much skin texture, but we want to see crisp detail in the eyes, the hair, and the lips, which there is. Below are screenshots from a lighting test I uploaded last night and from a recent video on YouTube over at the Cinematography Database. I resemble a Chernobyl victim with a radioactive lime green polo, while Matt Workman bears an uncanny resemblance to a marshmallow wearing a hoodie. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 2.50.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 2.51.22 PM.png

Jon, I wouldn't be concerned about facial detail on the GH5. I've seen plenty of those posted already. I'm not sure what they did in that video that was posted of the couple, but it's obvious something deliberate was done to smear much of the texture. I think we need to take all the posted videos as an 'average'. Dwelling on any one video is bound to bring us to some erroneous conclusions. :)

BTW, who is that amazingly good looking guy in the top shot above? ;)

Well I thought the skin tones looked damn good to me is the reason I Did post the video. For once a Panasonic GH- series camera that does not look well Videoish, looks more "Filmic", hell not sure if that is even a word?

I don't want cameras that you can cut your face on. Hell buy a Sony A7r mkII if you want that. I personally liked the skin looks, colors overall.  I would be happy as hell if I Could get that look in one.

I think finally Panasonic is forgetting that their cameras take photographs, and that it is a Movie camera first.  :glasses:  Movie cameras are not suppose to be sharp as heck in my mind anyways..