Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

White balance was too magenta. Corrected in Photoshop. Now the background is gray, however green-magenta bands are still mixed in and skintones are slightly greenish. Some shades go magenta and some go green. That's the big challenge cameras have with color science. To get everything right in this example it would take secondary color correction and/or masking- a lot of work. While Canon is certainly not perfect, in my experience I have far less work in post with Canon vs. Panasonic or Sony (both of which can look great, but takes more time in post). Part of the issue could be the lights- spikey spectrums are hard for many cameras to deal with (that's why natural light and tungsten can look nice, and all other non-continuous spectrum lights prove challenging).

GH5Skin.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I bet any 8-bit 4:2:0 artifacts can be overcome on HDMI 10-bit going on much higher bitrate with external recording... I just am not sure I had understood it well, hey, Simo: Atomos much better than the Blackmagic's external recording device? Why should it be so? So strange that.

Saluti,

E :-)

2 hours ago, jcs said:

White balance was too magenta. Corrected in Photoshop. Now the background is gray, however green-magenta bands are still mixed in and skintones are slightly greenish. Some shades go magenta and some go green. That's the big challenge cameras have with color science. To get everything right in this example it would take secondary color correction and/or masking- a lot of work. While Canon is certainly not perfect, in my experience I have far less work in post with Canon vs. Panasonic or Sony (both of which can look great, but takes more time in post). Part of the issue could be the lights- spikey spectrums are hard for many cameras to deal with (that's why natural light and tungsten can look nice, and all other non-continuous spectrum lights prove challenging).

GH5Skin.jpg

Judging not only from other videos we've seen, but also the incorrectly applied preset in this video, I don't think we can use this video in any way to judge skin tones from the GH5.

Hi everyone, sorry to interrupt your discussion as i dont wanted to start a new topic for a minor question. I was lucky enough to get a GH5 today and was wonderign if you guys could recomend me some good, reasonably priced, SD cards for shooting video? And should i wait for the new v60 standard cards, because of the 400mb/s update? thanks a bunch!

2 hours ago, wonderboy said:

Hi everyone, sorry to interrupt your discussion as i dont wanted to start a new topic for a minor question. I was lucky enough to get a GH5 today and was wonderign if you guys could recomend me some good, reasonably priced, SD cards for shooting video? And should i wait for the new v60 standard cards, because of the 400mb/s update? thanks a bunch!

Well I don't know of any place that even sells v60 cards as yet, so I guess use what you got for now and by the time the Firmware Update comes out maybe B&H, etc. will have some. Cards we have now sure are not going to be able to push 400mb/s content with ease.

The 95MB/s* seems to classify as V30 (so max. sustained 30MB/s, 150Mbit/s should be a little less than 20MB/s, so I imagine that's fine; *read, 90MB/s write). More about speed classes, as you've probably seen, here: https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/choices/speed_class/index.html . Haven't seen any official V60 cards yet (required for GH5 w/ firmware update; 400MBit/s - 50MB/s, so V60), but I have V90 and those would roughly be the ones with spec: R280/W250. The Panasonic and Delkin ones, don't come cheap though. If 90 equals 30 and 250 equals 90, you're looking at about a factor 3x. So, 60x3=180 (also 90+30=120/2=60 and 250+90=340/2=170). That's the exact writespeed of the 'Transcend Ultimate SDXC 64GB, UHS-II U3/Class 10'. With all that said, draw your own conclusions and then check cards availlable and pricing right here.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Here is a link to a German site that gets close to what you need!

https://www.foto-mundus.de/17049/lexar-professional-2000x-uhs-ii-64gb-sdxc-300mb/s

Twice the cost, but the 128GB is a better idea for those future codecs. How fast is the sustained write on these? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090745-REG/lexar_lsd128crbna10002_pro_1000x_uhs_2.html

In other news, the vlog activation works fine. 

2017-03-23-15.19.37.jpg

14 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

New video I have not seen, maybe on here, don't know. Looks like ISO 3200 Could be used in a pinch, but damn good color at lower ISO's.

Nice all around camera. Can be cinematic with the right lens (e.g Voigtlander F.95), filter (ProMist or similar), 24p, and log to protect highlights (+grading. Lighting is important though cinéma vérité can work too).

This is a no excuse camera, now anyone can make a blockbuster :). @Orangenz are you waiting for Peter Jackson to get his so you can combine cameras for District Kong Hobbit IX 3D? If you shoot it Birdman style in one take then throw on a LUT, you'd be done in about two hours! ;)  

Yeah I think you are right jcs, this camera is a no brainer as far as I can see. It, to me, looks like Panasonic has changed their "color science" on the GH5 for well it is a lot better skin tone wise as I see it so far. And that is a damn good thing!

The color looks more natural for sure to me, but I can't put my finger on any camera to compare it too. Ah , I can throw out a lot of cameras here, but I think they have come up with a unique look that has a smooth yet colorful look to it. Yeah I guess it still is a bit Video Camera looking but I don't think we are ever going to get rid of that look with 4k, even 2k. It just has a Lot more detail, and lets be honest, the film era viewed in a movie theater was soft, not tack sharp, but still had a lot of definition, contrast, and hell I guess the DR of film was what made it happen, not counting the best lens, best lighting.

Do I think it has a film look, well not close, do I think it has a modern, this is what we are wanting, Indie look, well hell yes. We can always add LuTs, but you have to have a great output to start with, and I think the GH5 has it in spades! This thing could end up being the best camera under 5000 bucks money can buy.. This camera I think can be used as is, out of camera, and end up on Vimeo, YouTube as a winner look wise.

@webrunner5 everything I listed above plus film grain (ideally organic noise), and film-look grading or using a film style LUT (PP CC has a few, there's also Film Convert and others), I'm certain it can have a film look, even in 4K. A super detailed noise free look is fine for corporate, commercials, YouTube vloggers, etc., and with a little work can look quite filmic too. Remember @Neumann Films example (I tweaked this frame- see full screen):

KidBarnGH5.jpg

https://www.filmconvert.com/ has a GH4 + Vlog and Varicam LT profiles and I'm sure will have GH5 too (if the Varicam LT is log, that might work on the GH5).

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

New video I have not seen, maybe on here, don't know. Looks like ISO 3200 Could be used in a pinch, but damn good color at lower ISO's.

Was the entire video shot with a pro mist filter, because all the images look soft and the skin looks kind of airbrushed.

11 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Was the entire video shot with a pro mist filter, because all the images look soft and the skin looks kind of airbrushed.

If a Pro Mist or similar diffusion filter was used, you'd see blooming and glow on the highlights (which I didn't see). The hair in some shots is over sharp. If the hair is sharp and skin looks soft, either the face is not quite in focus, the camera is doing skin smoothing, or compression is removing skin detail (which can be very subtle compared to hair). I would suggest turning noise reduction off if possible (though might be a challenge for 4K material at these low bitrates). In order to get highlights looking filmic, it's best to shoot in log and make sure highlights don't clip (which they didn't do).

When I used to shoot 4K with the GH4, hair looked brittle, and since most of my subjects have hair, it was disconcerting. I'm not seeing that so much with the G85. I'm able to get realistic looking skin tones with the G85, but I shoot with noise reduction dialed down to -5. Even the close up of the young woman, where the lens is stopped down to f/4 or so, and we can see the tiny wrinkles around her eyes and her eyelashes are clearly in focus, the details look smoothed over. Excuse me for a moment while I delete another spammer. :) 

I like skin tones that have some richness, tonality, and texture. I dislike washed out out skin tones with no texture or detail, particularly in shots of men. In the fashion shoot we saw earlier, shot with the Leica 42.5mm f/1.2, the lighting was very soft and flattering, and the model is wearing makeup, so we won't se much skin texture, but we want to see crisp detail in the eyes, the hair, and the lips, which there is. Below are screenshots from a lighting test I uploaded last night and from a recent video on YouTube over at the Cinematography Database. I resemble a Chernobyl victim with a radioactive lime green polo, while Matt Workman bears an uncanny resemblance to a marshmallow wearing a hoodie. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 2.50.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 2.51.22 PM.png

8 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

@jonpais

Strange! In the picture you posted above, your skin seems rich and evenly coloured to me. But in the YouTube video there's all sorts of red patchiness going on.

jonpaid_wtf.JPG

Thanks for pointing that out. Now I've got to spend weeks researching the best settings so my YouTube videos look like the actual files, rather than a Frankenstein version!