Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

20 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think you are wrong, the you get a 36 1.4 lens is right. But the statement that theM4/3 is really still is 1.4 lens is not right, a native 35 1.4 ends up being a F2.8 in reality without a Speedbooster compared to FF.

Nah, noone's right on this one. The Speed Booster gets you to a super 35 field of view on the 50mm f2. An easy way to remember it is that APS-C's field of view is roughly 1.5x the focal length and depth of field of 35mm film, and micro four thirds is again roughly 1.5x the APS-C equivalent focal length and depth of field (actually 1.4x, but 1.5x is faster to calculate). This works backwards as well as forwards, so you can calculate how the 50 will render relative to the smaller sensor, or what lens you'd need to emulate the look it gives you on a larger one.
On a super 35mm camera, the 50mm is going to act something like a 72mm f2.8 would on full frame, in terms of angle of view and depth of field. Which as we know is close to what a 36mm 1.4 would act like on M43. The advantage of the Speed booster is that you get the light transmission of the 36mm 1.4 as well, not just an F2.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think you are wrong, the you get a 36 1.4 lens is right. But the statement that the M4/3 is really still is 1.4 lens is not right, a native 35 1.4 ends up being a F2.8 in reality without a Speedbooster compared to FF.

I think he's right. I think what people mean when they say you get an APSC sensor, is t hat the 50 f2 now looks and behaves the same as it would on an APSC camera, in terms of FOV and DOF. 

19 minutes ago, dbp said:

I think he's right. I think what people mean when they say you get an APSC sensor, is t hat the 50 f2 now looks and behaves the same as it would on an APSC camera, in terms of FOV and DOF. 

A 50mm f2 lens on a .72x focal reducer becomes aprox a 36mm 1.4 lens.    Doesn't matter what sensor size the format is.       If you put the 50mm lens on a non focal reducer adapter on M4/3 you get a 50mm f2 lens with the FF angle of view of 100mm with f4 DOF (while still being a 50mm f2).        With the focal reducer it has a 72mm FF angle of view with 2.8 FF DOF (while still being a 36mm 1.4 lens).

It makes NO difference to the sensor at all.

A native 35 1.4 lens is not really any different to a 50mm lens on a focal reducer.     I believe some fast wide angle zoom lenses are constructed using a focal reducer internally.

The thing is that mostly focal reducers seem to be used with fast lenses for more exotic results or to  make slow kit type lenses more useful especially on M4/3.

2 hours ago, noone said:

A 50mm f2 lens on a .72x focal reducer becomes aprox a 36mm 1.4 lens.    Doesn't matter what sensor size the format is.       If you put the 50mm lens on a non focal reducer adapter on M4/3 you get a 50mm f2 lens with the FF angle of view of 100mm with f4 DOF (while still being a 50mm f2).        With the focal reducer it has a 72mm FF angle of view with 2.8 FF DOF (while still being a 36mm 1.4 lens).

It makes NO difference to the sensor at all.

A native 35 1.4 lens is not really any different to a 50mm lens on a focal reducer.     I believe some fast wide angle zoom lenses are constructed using a focal reducer internally.

The thing is that mostly focal reducers seem to be used with fast lenses for more exotic results or to  make slow kit type lenses more useful especially on M4/3.

Hmm I think I said something about it being f2.8. I think your right and I am right. It's late.

i found the gh4 viewfinder to be horrible- having to squish right up to the camera to use it- i mounted a magnetic magnifier to the screen which worked well to give a sense of focus - it is actually a pretty decent solution. 

So is the gh5 a lot more accurate for pulling focus and exposure?

9 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

I took it out of the box. Was fun. I have no idea how to pronounce your name Jon.

Super job, hope you don't mind if I post this on my blog? You'll get lots of exposure, I've got around 5 subscribers so far. :) 

11 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Nice to see someone rocking one of the best native lenses for m43. But I find it questionable that a professional studio photographer uses a white balance preset rather than setting it manually. It only takes a second, and colors will be better.

6 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Jon, where did you see he used a preset? I didn't see that in the video or the description below...unless I missed it.

When they show the back of the camera, you can see he's using 'cloudy' instead of Kelvin. There's no way in god's green earth that those LED lights have a color temperature of 'cloudy'! hahaha :) 

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 11.41.56 PM.png

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

When they show the back of the camera, you can see he's using 'cloudy' instead of Kelvin. There's no way in god's green earth that those LED lights have a color temperature of 'cloudy'! hahaha :) 

It's an old trick to warm up the image, done when the first digital cameras didn't have dedicated Kelvin settings.