Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

52 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Nice grade!  I'm feeling more Sepia tones myself, but this looks damn fine :)  Most compressed images are pretty bad when you look too closely.  I generally just use the phone and TV test.  If it looks good there...I'm covered.

Thanks! Color is about mood for story so sepia or supersat can both work here- since you know story sepia must be right ;)

TV/phone are good tests when Red and Alexa footage end up with artifacts too. That said I wonder if it's possible to get less NR on th GH5 to keep more noise as it's really needed for 8-bit material as a form of dither (400Mbit 10-bit will help capture- delivery to 8-bit might need some grain added)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

So, looks like Pana really can't handle the release date. It was march 20th for europe, but I have been told from the CS of CVP that still no information about the stocking of gh5. Amazon says "dispatching from 1 to 2 months", lol :D #theNewBlackmagic :D

I'm getting mine in Malaysia, told I might have to wait until May. :( 

59 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

So, looks like Pana really can't handle the release date. It was march 20th for europe, but I have been told from the CS of CVP that still no information about the stocking of gh5. Amazon says "dispatching from 1 to 2 months", lol :D #theNewBlackmagic :D

I spoke to a store in the UK yesterday and they said that Panasonic date they had was (week commencing) 20th March and that they still expected the cameras this week.

1 hour ago, funkyou86 said:

I spoke to the store I ordered from in Norway last week and they told me I'm number 3 in line, but they only get 2 cameras in the first shipment. They expected to get the camera in the end of March, and I would probably get the camera in mid April. I ordered from one of the biggest stores in Norway on the same day the opened for pre-orders, so for those who waited a few days I guess it could take a while. 

12 hours ago, Chrad said:

A guy sponsored by Canon, and probably the only professional cinematographer who would choose to shoot with the C500 as an A cam over the Alexa on a Hollywood production. No relation between these two facts, of course...

His claim that the 5D will always trounce the GH4 no matter the setting was and still is completely ridiculous. I believe that he was genuine in his dislike of the GH4 footage, but his stance there is super subjective, to put it lightly. 

For the record, he came around on the GH4 when V-Log L was released and said it created very nice skin tones in 10 bit. 

Some cinematographer made a video of the Canon 5D Mark ii in 2008 or something where he lied about its low light capabilites and actually used lights (I believe shadows or reflections of light sources were visible in the frame, something similar to the Stabiliser seen on the Yi 4k+ cam video lately and some smartphone photo shots of various manufacturers). Was that Shane Hurlbut? 

5 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Nice grade!  I'm feeling more Sepia tones myself, but this looks damn fine :)  Most compressed images are pretty bad when you look too closely.  I generally just use the phone and TV test.  If it looks good there...I'm covered.

what´s going on with those skintones?

10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well l do respect Shane a lot, but I really don't think many of us on here are going to be trying to match our cameras to the Reds, or Arii's we are also shooting with!

The GH5 is a 2000 Dollar camera! Is it a Arri Alexa, a Sony F55, a Arriflex that Sam Peckinpah shot, with one off lenses, in slo mo from hell, well no. It is probably the best camera that 90% of us could Ever afford, new or used! Can it sort of look like a Canon 5D mkIII in raw, BMPCC in Raw, you bet your ass if you can grade worth a shit. 

This is finally, a no F-ing excuses, for the masses camera. This is a camera just like the Panasonic AF 100A I just bought, that you can stop pissing about the camera and blame your own ass if it comes out good or not, both shooting with it, and editing, grading with it.  Well I do wish it had the AF 100's form factor but, this is the Camera where the Rubber meets the road thing.

Time to put up or shut up. It is here to take advantage of, and go out and do it! It really is that damn simple. Make It So, or find another job, or another hobby. Excuses are in the Past Tense with this camera with all the updates they plan in the summer to have you can install. Hmm, end of rant today!  :blush:

Agreed...and if one was shooting an interior scene with daylight flooding in the window and you fogged the room with atmosphere and had a lighting crew and grip department and art department and wardrobe like you would with the Alexas or Arriflexes I would bet the GH5 image would look nothing like the samples we see of it today...I think if you could not shoot a beautiful feature film with this camera, you probably can't do it on an Alexa either...and for the full frame crowd who advocates that the GH5 sensor is too small...can any of them name 10 feature films shot on full frame last year?...just want to see how well they did with keeping up focus for a feature length film...and if full frame is the holy grail, finding 10 films shot on full frame out of the some 600 films produced per year in the US alone, according to the Motion Picture Association of America, should be a piece of cake

15 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Those Sam Kolder transitions, though. Everybody is doing 'em now these days, all them zooms and twirls. I mean, maybe it can be done tastefully, but this was just tacky as hell, no? Everytime a Casey Neistat rises, we get hordes of copycats that just do the same for the sake of being hip... but with poor execution.

Never cared one iota about the transitions...or how the clip was shot....camera movement etc....only posted it for the image from the camera which I liked...

Panasonic India is launching the GH5 on the 1st of April with Driftwood helping people get through with using the camera (he is one of the Brand ambassadors, and they have advertised him as a famous DoP).

I only hope they figure out how to market it and working on the terrible after-sales.

India's photography and nd videography  market is huge. If Panasonic plans well, they could easily make a few billions.

Panasonic can easily tripe their annual sales figures by solely concentrating on India and China. I wish they would hire people to concentrate on these markets. 

https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3728997?page=2

20170315_134935.jpg

7 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Still showing 3/30 on both Amazon & B&H here in the U.S.

Digitec in Switzerland has 10% discount on Panasonic products until 27th of March so pre-ordering the GH5 would bring the price to 1790 Chf (1800 USD). Unfortunately no shipping date announced yet.

I will go to Paris this weekend and Reims in April. Should have planned my vacations for after NAB :expressionless:

11 hours ago, noone said:

Apart from a few serious video users, are many people really going to be deciding between an M4/3 GH5 and a FF A7ii/A7Rii/A7sii?       It seems to me the GH5 is going to get a huge part of the semi pro/lower budget pro video market and indie film market but the only Sony in that space is the A7sii and that camera is to me complementary to the GH5 rather than in opposition to it.      I love m4/3 but much prefer a larger sensor to shoot at night/high ISO/low light and don't see that changing any time soon.

GH5 would be serious overkill for my video use and while it seems a nice stills camera, I still couldn't see it being a better stills camera than even the APSC Sony's, Fuji's and others.

Well I sort of disagree. When you put a Speedbooster on the GH5 you will be at APSC size sensor, that is Bigger than a s35 sensor is. So what is a problem with that other than having less DoF than a FF A7, and I will admit better low light ability, but we are allowed to buy lighting. I bet there is not Any scene in a top, say 100 million dollar film, that does not have one frame without some kind of lighting, or a bounce board, umbrella in it. 

And I don't get this "I have to have razor thin DoF" thing anyways. There is no way you can keep stuff in focus at F0.95 for frame after frame. Still photography well yes.

The A7 series sucks on overheating, does not have continuous time shooting, no articulating screen, no touch screen, battery is weak to say the least, no 10 bit, and I don't think I would rather have one of those over a GH5 with a Speedbooster on it to shoot with.

Hugh Brownstone is impressed with the GH5's focus pull feature. Shot on the GH5 with the Leica 25mm f/1.4 wide open.

Parts of this review of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 and Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 were shot on the GH5. So we should expect a complete Camera Store review soon!