Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

Two features not many are talking about that may be useful for what I'm planning to do are Bluetooth and USB-C. Bluetooth, because Panasonic already has a good phone app, and Bluetooth will make it much easier for me to connect when I start vlogging. And USB-C because my MBPr doesn't have an SD slot, and I don't believe the adapters they sell in the shops here can handle high speed cards. I'd like it if Andrew could compare the upload speed of USB-C to SD cards.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Bluetooth audio would be a good feature on future cameras because it would eliminate the need for the crappy 3.5mm audio jack and another cable coming out of your camera

Monitoring on wireless headphones would be a pleasure

There are some seriously good ones out there as well including the Sony MDR 1000X at $400 so sound quality would not be an issue, at all.

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Bluetooth audio would be a good feature on future cameras because it would eliminate the need for the crappy 3.5mm audio jack and another cable coming out of your camera

Monitoring on wireless headphones would be a pleasure

There are some seriously good ones out there as well including the Sony MDR 1000X at $400 so sound quality would not be an issue, at all.

Yeah, no more cables blocking the LCD would be nice!

1 hour ago, mercer said:

With the addition of the waveform, does anyone know what ire middle grey should hit at with CineLikeD or V-Log? 

Isn't there also a vector scope? If so, I guess there will be no excuse for bad skin tones with the GH5.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I would "guess" between 35 to 40  for CinelikeD, maybe 32 to 35 IRE for V-Log? :grimace:

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

going to the theater, what people were watching was actually only something like 1K and nobody complained about the picture.

Shooting film can look awesome, but the delivery quality in theaters was a crap shoot.  Heck, I watched the last Mission Impossible, shot on film, and the digital projection was merciless revealing flaws of the source footage.

I watch a ton of films sourced on digital consumer gear (film festival stuff) and believe me, the things kids do with cheap gear looks incredibly better than film projections from back in the day.  Everything stays clean 'til it hits the viewer's eyeballs.

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Are you getting a GH5? 

Not sure yet.  I might get one for a tourism gig coming up in May.  Otherwise, believe it or not, I'm thinking of getting a second EM5II B-Cam for a doc I'll be shooting this summer.  Lots of reasons why (IQ not at the top of the list).

2 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Otherwise, believe it or not, I'm thinking of getting a second EM5II B-Cam for a doc I'll be shooting this summer.  Lots of reasons why (IQ not at the top of the list).

Wat!!! I know it is a Lot cheaper, but heck the GH5 will be viable for 3 to 4 years at least as top of the heap that we can afford. Even if a new Sony A7mkIII comes out and tops it I would not be able to afford it. I can sort of afford a GH5. And it would match my G7 and AF100A.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

With the addition of the waveform, does anyone know what ire middle grey should hit at with CineLikeD or V-Log? 

Isn't there also a vector scope? If so, I guess there will be no excuse for bad skin tones with the GH5.

TBH, there's no excuse for the unnatural looking skin tones we're seeing now. I only just started playing around with AWB on the G85, and the skin tones are often great. At the same time, most of the footage I see online by technicians with their color charts looks awful.

18 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

:P Sareesh and his 2 cts regarding the 8 VS 10-bit pre-release controversy...

Well I can't say his logic was failed. His points are pretty valid. There is a reason top end cameras have 12bit, 14bit etc. And why Raw on even a small sensor camera like the BMPCC still kicks some butt in this day and age. But yeah Sareesh.  :grimace:

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Shooting film can look awesome, but the delivery quality in theaters was a crap shoot.  Heck, I watched the last Mission Impossible, shot on film, and the digital projection was merciless revealing flaws of the source footage.

I watch a ton of films sourced on digital consumer gear (film festival stuff) and believe me, the things kids do with cheap gear looks incredibly better than film projections from back in the day.  Everything stays clean 'til it hits the viewer's eyeballs.

Not sure yet.  I might get one for a tourism gig coming up in May.  Otherwise, believe it or not, I'm thinking of getting a second EM5II B-Cam for a doc I'll be shooting this summer.  Lots of reasons why (IQ not at the top of the list).

You have always been an Olympus supporter, you're definitely worthy of becoming one of their ambassadors with the amount of support and praise you have thrown their way over the years. 

17 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

That BMPCC is so so good. I'm thinking about just like hack modding/cannibalizing my G7 and fill it up with BMPCC internals. :P

You should try attaching the ibis from a GX85... 

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I would "guess" between 35 to 40  for CinelikeD, maybe 32 to 35 IRE for V-Log? :grimace:

That sounds about right. I'll have to look for one of their white papers. I'd imagine that info would be on there. 

You know since I have bought this Panasonic AF100A I have realized that my "editing skills" sort of well, ain't so hot. I guess we get caught up into having to have the latest and greatest Camera, and forget the final output is probably more important than the camera! I bet the best editing guy will win shooting a Canon T3 99% of the time over the best camera guy using a Arri that sort of sucks at editing. :frown: But I would imagine it is pretty hard to be great at both.

Speaking of editing, man if I had this guys talent, I would, well I would be better that's for sure. I was in sort of a depressed mood until I watched this video!

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

TBH, there's no excuse for the unnatural looking skin tones we're seeing now. I only just started playing around with AWB on the G85, and the skin tones are often great. At the same time, most of the footage I see online by technicians with their color charts looks awful.

You know, for the most part I have always used AWB with Panasonic. It didn't work quite as well as with a Canon or a Nikon, but a whole lot better than it does with a Sony.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

You have always been an Olympus supporter.

Well, I'm not going to claim Oly creates the best video.  At all.  I'm not  sure I'm a true Oly supporter, so much as a guy that just likes the EM5 cameras for some reason.

But, for this next film I'm shooting, with the lenses and camera I already have, plus the audio gear set up I use, and then finally the budget, it's the smoothest choice for me right now doing an A cam, B cam. 

Honestly, would have liked to have kept my GX85's, but I require a more convienant audio solution for this next gig.

I also need all the $$ on hand for PR once the thing is done. The production is shoe-string all the way, so I'm doing it lean and mean. 

A used EM5II is cheap and the IBIS is great, so...

25 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

<Wolfcrow's Video>

That's a great point: 8-bit 420 at 100Mbps needs to be matched by 10-bit 422 at 280Mbps, yet only 150Mbps is available right now. So shoot 8-bit until the 400Mbps firmware update is released.

Then that article is right to point out the limitations as the camera is being sold without the 400Mbps, no?

Also, why is this simple pan still stuttering like the G85 before they fixed the ibis? Did they ever correct this on the G85?

To me the highlights on this camera don't look great.

The autofocus for video is still unusable from what I've seen.

I don't get why people are so hyped for this camera. Maybe it'll be amazing when they release the 400 Mbps?