Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

https://www.facebook.com/ReviewByRichard/ 

Ive just arrived the beautiful Queenstown, New Zealand attending the Panasonic regional GH5 press event. I will try to post some updates during the trip if not you can expect a blog post after this trip. Photo is the welcoming ceremony... Can you tell me how many GH5s are there in this photo?

gh5 in queenstown.jpg

20 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Impressive real world stabilisation. Check from around 45 seconds when water droplets appear on the lens to see the action of the stabiliser. This footage would be unusable on a camera with less stabilisation and more rolling shutter.

1 hour ago, hyalinejim said:

Impressive real world stabilisation. Check from around 45 seconds when water droplets appear on the lens to see the action of the stabiliser. This footage would be unusable on a camera with less stabilisation and more rolling shutter.

I never really thought about it, but I wonder if there's a difference in the effectiveness of the IBIS in HD vs 4K? I never really tried that on my G85, since I don't shoot in HD.

2 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Very impressive....rolling shutter is down Alexa territory!!...and never thought I'd be into a camera with stabilization but with this you can truly travel without a tripod....have not been this excited about a camera in a while!!

@Jonpais....the 3rd part of Hugh Brownstone's to GH5 or not...interesting perspective he brings to the why's for a camera (completely different from mine) 

I don't really think people are going to be selling their Tripods using this camera! You are not going to hold a camera for minutes, hours and be a happy camper, and I would bet you would want a Barf bag when you watch it After a few minutes.

Now the Rolling Shutter, this does look like a big improvement. Do we want to make movies where we are Flying all the time, I Really doubt that. That shit gets old quick, just like VR does. I have 2 electronic Gimbals and to be honest both have not been out of my house in 2 months. It is by no means realistic, it is phony looking and it shows.

Just because we can do it, does not mean we should! Just write out the part where we are running down a path crap for 10 minutes, and do short takes at different angles like we have been doing for years. Short duration flying well yeah, half the movie hmm...

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I don't really think people are going to be selling their Tripods using this camera! You are not going to hold a camera for minutes, hours and be a happy camper, and I would bet you would want a Barf bag when you watch it After a few minutes....Just write out the part where we are running down a path crap for 10 minutes, and do short takes at different angles like we have been doing for years. Short duration flying well yeah, half the movie hmm...

Agreed.

I've utilized IBIS effectively for my low-end corporate shoots.  Unless one is a complete moron shooting video, ya figure out what looks good and what doesn't and make it work for your production.

No, you don't use IBIS as a replacement for a tripod.  If you're doing loooong-take event videography, (boring, but whatever) you most likely get a tripod.  

On the other hand, if you attempting to knock out a ton of quick but elegant b-roll shots, you can make IBIS footage look great.  With decent IBIS I quickly and easily learned how to emulate a dolly/slider shot.  I do this handheld with a simple technique.  Doing that on the fly adds a level of quality I try to accomplish on my gigs.

Back in the day, I'd have to set up track to handle the bulkiness of video gear.  Then, as gear got smaller, I went to a slider to accomplish the same look.  Now I can do an entire shoot handheld and still get that more sophisticated footage. What's not to like about that?

Bottom line:  You still need to be a half way decent shooter, nothing compensates for that talent.  But if you got the chops and know how to make smart decisions, (IBIS is NOT a steady cam people) then the added tool of IBIS is a welcome capability.

So, like everyone else, I am definitely intrigued with the GH5. And like everyone else, the camera seems to be a lot better after the promised firmware updates. After a quick look at Panasonic's website... most of the best features are promised for a future update and most of the best promised future updates are promised for the "second half of 2017."

Now unlike most people, I am mostly intrigued by the high bitrate All-I 1080p in 24p and higher frame rates. Don't get me wrong, as a hobbyist with dreams, I appreciate the 4K, but it is unnecessary for me at this point... I am much more interested in the 10 bit 4:22 1080p @ 24p and 60p. As someone who is intrigued but not sold on the GH5, could somebody please tell me if there is any high bitrate 10 bit 4:22, 1080p in All-I at 24p and 60p that ships with the camera at launch? And what is the bitrate... 200mbps at launch is what I am seeing, but I want to be sure. 

Thanks.

The reason I ask is because Panasonic's warranty extension ends on the 31st. So, if the GH5 will end up being the beast it seems it will be, it may behoove me to preorder it before the 31st so I can get the warranty extension.

Best I have found.

"GH5 Firmware Upgrade Path:

4:2:2 10bit – Available April, 2017
6K/24p Anamorphic Video Mode (4:3) – Available Summer, 2017
(200 Mbps) FHD 4:2:2 10bit ALL-Intra – Available Summer, 2017
(400Mbps) 4K 4:2:2 10bit ALL-Intra – Available, Summer 2017

V-Log Color Profile  – Available at launch, Cost: $100

6K/24p Anamorphic Video Mode will be available in a 4:3 aspect ratio in the Summer and the very fact we are talking about getting 6K, or close, Anamorphic out of a $2,000 MFT body is exciting. Panasonic is calling this upcoming mode: “High Resolution Anamorphic” as it is 6K resolution in terms of pixel density, but not 6000 pixels of horizontal resolution.

**Update: The camera ships with Anamorphic 4K (4:3) with H.264 compression enabled. Come Summer 2017, 6K (4:3) will be shootable in H.265 compression with free firmware update. Firmware schedule below." 

update on the update!  :grimace:

"Color depth is improved and the GH5 will eventually shoot internal 4:2:2 10bit, compared to the 4:2:0 8bit of its predecessor, but launches with 4:2:0 8bit only in IPB compression. 4:2:2 10bit color is double the information of 4:2:0 and provides greater grading flexibility in the post process before the image falls apart."

It looks kind of gimped in the roll out, but really picks up the pace in the Summer IF it all comes true, which I am sure it will, but why, after this long, are they not doing all of this at launch???

This sort of is like Olympus on the EM1, it was twice as good of a camera 2 years later than at launch. They had a ton of Good firmware updates on it, but what the hell, did the software engineers go on strike at the launch date or what. Sad to say Panasonic is following suit.

15 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

It looks kind of gimped in the roll out, but really picks up the pace in the Summer IF it all comes true, which I am sure it will, but why, after this long, are they not doing all of this at launch???

This sort of is like Olympus on the EM1, it was twice as good of a camera 2 years later than at launch. They had a ton of Good firmware updates on it, but what the hell, did the software engineers go on strike at the launch date or what. Sad to say Panasonic is following suit.

Yeah, I have more research to do, but it does not look like any 10bit All-I ships at launch. Kind of a bummer, but there is no reason to think it won't happen. However, I am a little concerned because originally, the 2nd firmware update was slated as Summer of 2017... now it says second half of 2017. I hope it doesn't become another VLog update that was promised and took forever to happen.

But that warranty extension from 1 year to 3 years makes this a much safer purchase in my mind. So if I believe I will be interested in the GH5 in 6 months it still may make sense to pick one up now.

All I know is when I had the FZ2500 a few months ago, I absolutely loved the look of the All-I 1080p at 24p... it was absolutely stunning with CineLikeD and that was 8bit 4:20... at 10 bit 4:22... it may just be better than BM's newly announced ANUS cam...