Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

5 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Jon, I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. Use Movie Mode. At that point using aperture or shutter priority as well as Program mode, will result in the loss of zebras as soon as you adjust exposure via the EV route, not aperture or shutter speed. As I had mentioned, this behavior doesn't occur with Sonys.

Okay, so in fact, zebras do not disappear when adjusting shutter speed and aperture in manual mode, only when using the EV button in automatic. That's probably why I've never noticed it, since I don't shoot in auto. Good to know though.

13 minutes ago, Dude_ger said:

At least a anamorphic de-squeeze in b/w would be great. It doesn t take much power , the Magic Lantern guys do the same with raw liveview. I think that without internal de-squeeze the cam wouldn´t be that perfect- you already have a really small cam with no need for external recorders due to 10 bit, how cool would it be to keep this setup with anamorphic (lenses are heavy enogh)

I'm considering making a pinned topic where everyone can list all the features that should have been included in the GH5 but weren't.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Dude_ger said:

Actually they think about implementing this feature, so it s not a wish

yeah, I think I recall a Panasonic representative saying it might be incorporated, but can't really be sure, since I don't shoot anamorphic and wasn't paying close attention.

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

I wish I could like that post a few more times. Panasonic crams this device with more features than ever thought possible, thousands asking for even more. Sat through an hour and-a-half long video with one of Panasonic's representatives, super patient and good-humored, just fielding questions about why Panasonic doesn't do this, why don't they do that. Said it before, I'll say it again, Panasonic has given this community more than it probably deserves. And since Davey brings up skateboard gimbal videos, one newbie, who happens to only shoot BMX in extremely poor lighting conditions and is all worked up on saving for the GH5, I say he'd be better off buying a Sony a6XXX and he blows me off like I have no idea what I'm talking about. 

What a nice welcome to this forum jonpais... In that topic i appreciated your recommendation about sony a6xxx and didn't mean to "blow off" you or whatever.

Still waiting to get a chance to test gh5 myself, but for now based on what i have seen and read its very interesting camera with proper 1080p with fast RS, IBIS, good ergonomics and that viewfinder. Big and sharp viewfinder makes filming so enjoyable. 

I hope Andrew is going a bit more into 1080p in he's review. Everywhere else all i see is about 4k or 180fps hd. Also waiting to see how is that ex. tele conv mode in gh5. Anyone knows is it the same x2.5-x2.7 as in GH4?

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Sort of HDR on Steroids! That video was a waste of 2 minutes of my life. And I am running out of minutes!  :grin:

As unrealistic as that grade is, as in, nobody would ever grade that severely, it does indeed show that 10bit internal is working, and well.

2 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

...using aperture or shutter priority as well as Program mode, will result in the loss of zebras as soon as you adjust exposure via the EV route, not aperture or shutter speed. As I had mentioned, this behavior doesn't occur with Sonys.

Panasonic seems to have a policy to hide or block exposure information when shooting with auto exposure. User must guess what the camera is doing and only at home we figure something has been wrong.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:37 AM, jonpais said:

Why don't Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic release h.265? Because it's not widely adopted yet, and they'll be inundated with calls to their help center. 

Are you competing with Yogi Berra? It is difficult to "adopt" H265 if Sony, Olympus and Panasonic do not support it. In any case, it is factually untrue that mainstream processors (Intel) and software editors do not support it (Vegas Pro 14, Power Director, Resolve, etc.). 4K TV's support it (playback from video files). H265 is part of the HEVC spec.

I do not think we should let Panasonic off the hook on this, when the real reason *may* have to do with royalty payments, and not specious arguments in abundance here about the "quality" of H265 compression for high bitrate video, its inability to be used for intra, or the lack of "adoption."

6 hours ago, markr041 said:

Are you competing with Yogi Berra? It is difficult to "adopt" H265 if Sony, Olympus and Panasonic do not support it. In any case, it is factually untrue that mainstream processors (Intel) and software editors do not support it (Vegas Pro 14, Power Director, Resolve, etc.). 4K TV's support it (playback from video files). H265 is part of the HEVC spec.

I do not think we should let Panasonic off the hook on this, when the real reason *may* have to do with royalty payments, and not specious arguments in abundance here about the "quality" of H265 compression for high bitrate video, its inability to be used for intra, or the lack of "adoption."

I'm merely repeating the reason given by a Panasonic representative during an interview dude. Let Panasonic off the hook? Why don't you take on the entire camera industry?

For a moderator, you can be rude (and not just here). Dude? In any case, if you were "repeating: what someone has said, you should give the source reference. You did not. In any case, what is the point of repeating less-than-candid manufacturer's excuses? You are right, just let alternative facts go, or better, "repeat" them....

P.S. I do really like your videos, and know you are not a Panasonic fanboy.

1 hour ago, markr041 said:

For a moderator, you can be rude (and not just here). Dude? In any case, if you were "repeating: what someone has said, you should give the source reference. You did not. In any case, what is the point of repeating less-than-candid manufacturer's excuses? You are right, just let alternative facts go, or better, "repeat" them....

P.S. I do really like your videos, and know you are not a Panasonic fanboy.

First, sorry, I didn't get the Yogi Berra reference, thought you were making fun of me. Guess I have to Google that. You already said this would be a less-than-candid manufacturer's excuse, but just to show I'm not making anything up, here's the video with Sean Robinson where he explains why they don't use the h265 codec for all video modes. And glad you enjoy my videos! :) 

On 6.3.2017 at 4:23 PM, webrunner5 said:

Sort of HDR on Steroids! That video was a waste of 2 minutes of my life. And I am running out of minutes!  :grin:

Hallo,

to me it seems being the first video to show the big advantage of 10 bit vs 8bit on a Panasonic Hybrid! 8 bit is severly broken after the grade,

whereas 10bit remains the gradation. Have not been able to detect this obvious difference on the GH4 with internal vs external recording.

But as they say, always good to do ones own tests than waiting for others to do the hard testing work:)

Also very nice news from the slashcam testchart: exellent resolution in HD mode up to 60fps, C300 level, better than its older Panasonic silbings.

I must say, color science on the GX80 has greatly improved, first time I would accept footage ooc without grading.

So color should be great too on GH5.

13 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Some nice work here in mixed light and low light

Hey, I played it in 720p on a 27inch display. Even like that it look exellent.

So GH5 definately is  a player in the resolution department. Colors looked adequate not great though. Thanks for posting this video.

It shows some problems in the dark areas. But even on FS700 underexposing SLOG when recording to an Atomos shows chunky pixelation

as well, whereas my G6 on linear space did not. Still the FS700 is the vastly superior imaging machine! Isn´t it. :)

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Hallo,

to me it seems being the first video to show the big advantage of 10 bit vs 8bit on a Panasonic Hybrid! 8 bit is severly broken after the grade,

whereas 10bit remains the gradation. Have not been able to detect this obvious difference on the GH4 with internal vs external recording.

But as they say, always good to do ones own tests than waiting for others to do the hard testing work:)

Also very nice news from the slashcam testchart: exellent resolution in HD mode up to 60fps, C300 level, better than its older Panasonic silbings.

I must say, color science on the GX80 has greatly improved, first time I would accept footage ooc without grading.

So color should be great too on GH5.

Hey, I played it in 720p on a 27inch display. Even like that it look exellent.

So GH5 definately is  a player in the resolution department. Colors looked adequate not great though. Thanks for posting this video.

It shows some problems in the dark areas. But even on FS700 underexposing SLOG when recording to an Atomos shows chunky pixelation

as well, whereas my G6 on linear space did not. Still the FS700 is the vastly superior imaging machine! Isn´t it. :)

I agree it has some pretty good, maybe great resolution, but... Like you sort of hinted at, maybe too good. I think most of us on here are looking for more of a Cine look, I am afraid the GH5 is just going to be a GH4 on Steroids! Still videoish, is that a word? Too much, later Panasonic video camera, looking.

But I have to admit I guess I would rather have too much data to play with then too much less. We have seen rays of hope on it from a few people. I am sure it is going to sell like Hotcakes, but is it our brand, style of Hotcakes on here?

I have to admit, it really is Not on my Radar at all. Nada. I can think of 3 or 4 older semi pro, pro used cameras that I would buy before it in a heartbeat for 2 to 3 grand or less.

And yes, the FS700 IS on that list. Someone got a deal of a lifetime with is auction.  That is a Video camera! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-NEX-FS700U-w-4K-Upgrade-and-Zacuto-Accessories-/322441953597?hash=item4b1309c13d%3Ag%3AzScAAOSw32lYuwn2&nma=true&si=BN8gvAtMb%252BuG%252BtYOSgQcP31agMs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 T

Hallo,

I wouldnt  worry about this camera to be too videoish. Important and valid point of yours, of course. We will see in a few days.

For now, good night sleep :)

17 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I have to admit, it really is Not on my Radar at all. Nada. I can think of 3 or 4 older semi pro used cameras that I would buy before it in a heartbeat.

If you say LS300, well, for 2000 USD/EUR and with internal stabi and a great viewfinder and 10bit and higher bitrate, I´d buy that too in a heartbeat.

But that would be the LS500 then:)

34 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Hallo,

I wouldnt  worry about this camera to be too videoish. Important and valid point of yours, of course. We will see in a few days.

For now, good night sleep :)

If you say LS300, well, for 2000 USD/EUR and with internal stabi and a great viewfinder and 10bit and higher bitrate, I´d buy that too in a heartbeat.

But that would be the LS500 then:)

Hmm funny you say LS300, someone I talk with a lot will laugh at this statement, I just don't think I would want it. Maybe doing Weddings?, uhh thinking, ahh I can't think.. I just don't see a damn thing that stands out on it other than the crop factor ability. That is interesting. but... Pass, Pass, Pass. It is a glorified Sony VG 10-30! Which by the way I had all 3!!!  :grimace::grimace::grimace: My Bad.

Now all were Very used, and cheap as hell. But I did like the form factor. Just goes to show Sony is a Whore just like Canon is by not wanting to take away their cash Cows!! And we get screwed in the end. Christ.

Was the VG-30 going to replace a Sony F3, no, but with a little more effort it could have been a vacation camera from hell, even do Weddings. No they had to shit it up.

But I am going to say we all on here are looking for the best camera we can get for the buck, not what camera can Make us a Buck. So the LS300 is probably a winner in that category.  :glasses:

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

First, sorry, I didn't get the Yogi Berra reference, thought you were making fun of me. Guess I have to Google that. You already said this would be a less-than-candid manufacturer's excuse, but just to show I'm not making anything up, here's the video with Sean Robinson where he explains why they don't use the h265 codec for all video modes. And glad you enjoy my videos! :) 

Call me naive, but I think his explanation was perfectly plausible and made sense. I harken back to my NX1 days. I loved the camera's output but hated being locked into editing solutions that were not of my choice. At the time I was using Edius Pro and it would not take H265. Transcoding was a PIA, so I had to use a very simple program that didn't being to have the capabilities of Edius.

Now that I'm using FCP, I'd be faced with the same dilemma, switch to an editing program not of my choice that does accept H265, or transcode. So I'm actually glad Panasonic stuck with 264 at this point.