Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

I am not expert at it, but it would seem that it might not really be any better if it truly is ALL-I. I must admit I find it hard to believe that the GH5 can do IPB 400bps internally. If so they are using some pretty serious computer horsepower to do it. That is a Ton of data to move for a "consumer" camera.

But I think I read that the Olympus EM1 mkII is using a separate computer just for focus alone. So nothing saying Panasonic can't do the same for data crunching alone. Just makes it amazing how much a Smartphone has tucked inside such a small body computing wise. Hell 50% of it is battery. We live in an amazing technological time for sure.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

- It's undecided yet whether the anamorphic mode will have the option to desqueeze or not

- The "6K" 24p anamorphic update due in the summer will use the full width and height of the sensor at a resolution of approx. 5000 x 4000 in h265 (although not 400Mbps h265, it will be a lower bitrate)

So, assuming that the h265 implementation is better than 150Mbps h264 IPB and/or 400mbps h264 All-I, this could be a great option for those who want to shoot V-Log internally without chroma smearing artifacts... as long as you're willing to shoot 4:3 and crop top and bottom when using a non-anamorphic lens.

The Panasonic rep in that interview knows his stuff. It's a pity the blogger isn't a little bit more up to speed on the Cinema5D controversy as this would have been a great opportunity to get an insight into Panasonic's take on the issue.

@Neumann Films I don't recall anyone who's shot with the GH5 sharing  a great deal of information about the new exposure aids, the vector scope and waveform monitor. Did you find yourself relying on them much during your shooting? If so, could you share any thoughts on your experience with them?

10 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Neumann Films I don't recall anyone who's shot with the GH5 sharing  a great deal of information about the new exposure aids, the vector scope and waveform monitor. Did you find yourself relying on them much during your shooting? If so, could you share any thoughts on your experience with them?

The waveform was a little weird and it took up too much screen space for my liking so I just set Zebras to 95 and went from there.  

3 hours ago, Chrad said:

Why don't Panasonic release an h.265 option for encoding 10 bit 4K? 200-400mbps. Problem solved.

I don't see why it should be exclusive to 6K anamorphic 8 bit.

And on that note, why not 400mbps h.264 IPB?

Why don't Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic release h.265? Because it's not widely adopted yet, and they'll be inundated with calls to their help center. 

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Why don't Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic release h.265? Because it's not widely adopted yet, and they'll be inundated with calls to their help center. 

Sure, but they are including h.265 recording for the '6K' anamorphic update. Why not add it as an option for internal 10 bit 4K as well? It would solve some big issues.

1 hour ago, Chrad said:

Sure, but they are including h.265 recording for the '6K' anamorphic update. Why not add it as an option for internal 10 bit 4K as well? It would solve some big issues.

Maybe because the masses who buy this camera will film everything - and I mean everything - at 4K60p for the first six months until the novelty wears off and the views die down. They will not care for bit rates or efficient codecs. Those who buy the GH5 as a production workhorse are in the tiniest of minorities and will likely only use its showcase feature very sparingly.

Just as the YouTube viewing market was swamped with rats scurrying about at 4am in deserted cities when the a7s first came out, it will shortly be swamped with slow motion skateboard gimbal videos from the end of this month onwards. None of them will care for h.265, let alone Anna Morphic or whatever her name is.

Panasonic need to make money and they do that via the masses and not the serious filmmakers, just as every company does that sells prosumer gear.

30 minutes ago, Davey said:

Maybe because the masses who buy this camera will film everything - and I mean everything - at 4K60p for the first six months until the novelty wears off and the views die down. They will not care for bit rates or efficient codecs. Those who buy the GH5 as a production workhorse are in the tiniest of minorities and will likely only use its showcase feature very sparingly.

Just as the YouTube viewing market was swamped with rats scurrying about at 4am in deserted cities when the a7s first came out, it will shortly be swamped with slow motion skateboard gimbal videos from the end of this month onwards. None of them will care for h.265, let alone Anna Morphic or whatever her name is.

Panasonic need to make money and they do that via the masses and not the serious filmmakers, just as every company does that sells prosumer gear.

I wish I could like that post a few more times. Panasonic crams this device with more features than ever thought possible, thousands asking for even more. Sat through an hour and-a-half long video with one of Panasonic's representatives, super patient and good-humored, just fielding questions about why Panasonic doesn't do this, why don't they do that. Said it before, I'll say it again, Panasonic has given this community more than it probably deserves. And since Davey brings up skateboard gimbal videos, one newbie, who happens to only shoot BMX in extremely poor lighting conditions and is all worked up on saving for the GH5, I say he'd be better off buying a Sony a6XXX and he blows me off like I have no idea what I'm talking about. 

• Administrators
22 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

The Panasonic rep in that interview knows his stuff. It's a pity the blogger isn't a little bit more up to speed on the Cinema5D controversy as this would have been a great opportunity to get an insight into Panasonic's take on the issue.

Yes pity he can't time travel a month into the future to answer flawed test outcomes, which blame 10bit for compression artefacts. Must work harder Panasonic ;) And give us 960fps 8K in a firmware update whilst you're at it.

By the way my GH5 is pre-ordered and should arrive on the 20th March in the UK.

So expect some decent coverage finally :)

10 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

I posted this in a different thread and probably should have posted it here. I'm not sure if anyone here knows the answer to this:

One thing that's annoyed me a bit with Panasonics, is the implementation of zebras. In Sonys, once the zebras are activated, it shows in the EVF or LCD no matter what you do. So you can adjust your exposure and the zebras remain 'live' as you do so. However in the Panasonics (and I can't recall if the GH4 did this too), once you begin to adjust your exposure, the zebras disappear. By 'disappear', I don't mean because highlights have now been properly adjusted, I mean they disappear as soon as you begin to adjust exposure, even if highlights are still blown. They only reappear once you've completed your adjustments and exit the adjustment process. So this makes highlight adjustment, via the zebras, a more tedious process than it need to be since you need to adjust, exit, readjust.

I'm hoping that behavior doesn't continue in the GH5.

Hi Ken, I've got the G85 right here in my hands as I type (well, almost), and as I point the camera at my desktop, and adjust either aperture or shutter speed, the zebras remain live the entire time, diminishing as I reduce exposure, increasing as I increase exposure.

16 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Thanks Jon, but try adjusting exposure via the EV adjustment. That's where the zebras disappear.

What mode are we talking about here? movie mode? auto Exposure? which settings should I be using and which dials should I be turning? 

At least a anamorphic de-squeeze in b/w would be great. It doesn t take much power , the Magic Lantern guys do the same with raw liveview. I think that without internal de-squeeze the cam wouldn´t be that perfect- you already have a really small cam with no need for external recorders due to 10 bit, how cool would it be to keep this setup with anamorphic (lenses are heavy enogh)