Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, Cas1 said:

Looks very nice, the word flawless comes to mind. Using the full DR, SMOOTH roll off. Without the overly contrasty amateur look.

Great stuff.

However it was all shot during overcast days, in other words reduced DR light levels. So my challenge to James Miller and others is to make something silky smooth like this with a full sun.

Thank you!

Curious why...I've never been on a film set or a commercial set shooting with Arriflex S35 film cameras where crew shoots in hard direct sunlight....certainly no good photographer would...,no Arri Alexa or Red would be used that way....these images from James Miller are amazing....if not for the form factor, the image from this camera would be suitable for a feature film .....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Fritz Pierre said:

(...) if not for the form factor, the image from this camera would be suitable for a feature film .....

What's the beef with the form factor of a GH5 camera for a feature film...!??

Certain stuff with ergonomics to be a catch for filmmaking in a set of a feature is yet beyond me... Still waiting for a reasonable explanation enough to drive me quiet.

2 hours ago, Philip Lipetz said:

To sum up the ride down the river Cam, Kai likes the chunky body, the dual card slots, the lack of extra crop in 4K, 50p, IBIS, and no more flash. He wishes for more DR, less sharpening, less aggressive NR, and AF can be unreliable. 

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Certain stuff with ergonomics to be a catch for filmmaking in a set of a feature is yet beyond me... Still waiting for a reasonable explanation enough to drive me quiet.

No beef actually...but if you're shooting a feature with a reasonable budget, the cost of the crew is high....so I would default to something like the Varicam LT or another cinema camera as A-cam with the GH5 is B-cam...If I was shooting a short...or a commercial or extremely low budget film, I would use it without any hesitation...so, at some point it becomes an issue of false economy....up to the director to evaluate which is which....as far as GH cameras form factor, IMO in the world of hybrids the Pannys are unequalled....and as for the image....from what I've seen, I would not hesitate shooting with it next to a Varicam....

6 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

No beef actually...but if you're shooting a feature with a reasonable budget, the cost of the crew is high....so I would default to something like the Varicam LT or another cinema camera as A-cam with the GH5 is B-cam...If I was shooting a short...or a commercial or extremely low budget film, I would use it without any hesitation...so, at some point it becomes an issue of false economy....up to the director to evaluate which is which....as far as GH cameras form factor, IMO in the world of hybrids the Pannys are unequalled....and as for the image....from what I've seen, I would not hesitate shooting with it next to a Varicam....

I always appreciate to know the camera I work with... call me picky (not necessarily pixel peeper : D all the time, at least hehe)

I recall the finest example that our woman is always the most attractive female for us or it should be ;-)

12 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Hell I can't stand using them to make something for fun, I sure as hell can't see them as a main A camera in a 200 millon dollar film, with what little outward controls they have, not counting the cramped space, and no weight to talk about. I am sure it Can be done, but why? It's not like one person is just operating these high end cameras,they are surrounded by people. Now a guy up on a boom, well yeah, but that is not the Main camera all the time.

3 hours ago, Philip Lipetz said:

This Miller guy has to be one of the best graders of Pansonic stuff I have seen LoL. Is this camera, the GH5 That much better! 10 bit adds that much, and they are not even using the higher bit rate stuff. What gives?

They go into explaining the autofocus settings for stills and video. Would be great to get someone to actually test the settings with people standing still and moving back and forth and gesticulating with narrow dof like in an interview or scene setting as well as just moving about in the frame alone or with other people and objects.

3 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

They go into explaining the autofocus settings for stills and video. Would be great to get someone to actually test the settings with people standing still and moving back and forth and gesticulating with narrow dof like in an interview or scene setting as well as just moving about in the frame alone or with other people and objects.

Well, of course those settings have to be tested. But what this also states is that all AFC tests so far were absolutely meaningless.

B

35 minutes ago, Borbarad said:

Well, of course those settings have to be tested. But what this also states is that all AFC tests so far were absolutely meaningless.

B

If by meaningless, you mean that none of the videos we've seen up till now mentioned which settings they used for AF-C sensitivity and speed in video... maybe you're right!

19 hours ago, Philip Lipetz said:

Somebody criticized me for speculating that Dan Chung and Kai had shot a lot of footage (in an earlier video) and only shared a couple minutes with us, because the AF-C doesn't always work as perfectly (actually, if you examine the footage they shot together carefully, there is hunting going on, but the wide angle and small aperture hides some of it well), but in this latest video from Kai, he confesses that "It [AF-C] works well sometimes; it doesn't always snap into action perfectly however". And this pretty much sums up what a couple other more frank beta testers have only hinted at up till now.