Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
47 minutes ago, bunk said:

Good to know, I always called that macroblocking. S-log with A7* has the same issue. 

In the second link he mentions that sometimes it can occur in higher quality profiles as well. 

Hopefully the 400mbps intraframe looks better. 

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Still can't work out why youtube in Chrome makes the blacks so crushed when VLC and Premiere display the 0-255 file without problems in the 16-235 space. And if you fix it to 16-235 then it can look washed out if those other programs are trying to display full range. So which do you aim for? This file as it is, is absolutely amazing to view, just not on youtube. Here's a recompress to 16-235 

48 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Still can't work out why youtube in Chrome makes the blacks so crushed when VLC and Premiere display the 0-255 file without problems in the 16-235 space. And if you fix it to 16-235 then it can look washed out if those other programs are trying to display full range. So which do you aim for? This file as it is, is absolutely amazing to view, just not on youtube. Here's a recompress to 16-235 

That and the mystery why I can no longer watch videos on YouTube in 4K with Safari. But I don't have a 4K monitor anyway. Correction: I know why, how long till Apple fixes it?

1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

Looks nice, but his style of color grading makes almost every camera he tests look the same.

I agree, his LUTs are quite stylized and a bit too much mostly for my taste but in this video it works well for me, especially the outdoor scenes.

6 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Even at 16-235, the blacks are way crushed on my iMac. I had a look at the original scene from Goodfellas, and of course, there is much more detail in the shadows. And Levi said he was careful not to clip the blacks, a term which I'd never heard before; I've always heard clipped highlights and crushed blacks... Clipping refers to blown highlights. So when they're looking at the clips on the timeline in Resolve and say what lattitude Vlog has, I'm not seeing it in the final result. Also, the sound engineer says the internal preamp on the GH5 has a low S/N ratio, whereas I believe he meant to say high, because a higher number reduces the perceived noise. But I don't want to be too critical, after all, how many camera reviewers also have some acting chops? :) 

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Even at 16-235, the blacks are way crushed on my iMac. I had a look at the original scene from Goodfellas, and of course, there is much more detail in the shadows. And Levi said he was careful not to clip the blacks, a term which I'd never heard before; I've always heard clipped highlights and crushed blacks... Clipping refers to blown highlights. So when they're looking at the clips on the timeline in Resolve and say what lattitude Vlog has, I'm not seeing it in the final result. Also, the sound engineer says the internal preamp on the GH5 has a low S/N ratio, whereas I believe he meant to say high, because a higher number reduces the perceived noise. But I don't want to be too critical, after all, how many camera reviewers also have some acting chops? :) 

On the various TV's we have around the 16-235 looks grey'd out but the 0-255 looks great, especially on a new 4k tv. The bit before standing in front of the bookcase looks better at 16-235 though. The first image on video is the scopes for 0-255 which certainly looks like something's been crushed a bit which means it won't come back completely from my tweak. So, yeah, depends on what I'm viewing it on with what player. A lot of stuff is going on in that 0-20 area so it makes a big difference for this video. 

Panasonic GH5 Test  Wooden Niccolls with DDG.00_00_40_14.Still002.jpg

4 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

On the various TV's we have around the 16-235 looks grey'd out but the 0-255 looks great, especially on a new 4k tv. The bit before standing in front of the bookcase looks better at 16-235 though. The first image on video is the scopes for 0-255 which certainly looks like something's been crushed a bit which means it won't come back completely from my tweak. So, yeah, depends on what I'm viewing it on with what player. A lot of stuff is going on in that 0-20 area so it makes a big difference for this video. 

Panasonic GH5 Test  Wooden Niccolls with DDG.00_00_40_14.Still002.jpg

It looks better with your settings on my lowly iMac which apparently is a piece of shit according to one member, but which unfortunately is all I can afford at the moment. 

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

That and the mystery why I can no longer watch videos on YouTube in 4K with Safari. But I don't have a 4K monitor anyway. Correction: I know why, how long till Apple fixes it?

Apple knows what is good for you better than you do. They probably don't plan to fix it :)

27 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Two surprises about the Goodfellas video...the quality of the acting, and so far not a single comment  about what the  guys grading it say about the GH5's latitude at around 10:40 ...they are working with the actual footage in Resolve...not viewing it on Youtube...

I commented on all the above: the acting's super for non-professionals, and they say the V-log has a lot of latitude - they just don't let us see that in their grade.

Edit: I don't know why the blacks are so crushed. When I upload videos to YouTube, which I try to do every week, the videos are very representative of the tonality of the original files - no crushed blacks, no blown highlights. So not sure what's going on here.

47 minutes ago, Cas1 said:

I think this scene has too much added contrast.

Yes definitely the result of grading. You can see the difference at 11:42 with the LUT applied. It was by choice, but I also believe the should ease a bit the contrast on the shadows. 

10 hours ago, jonpais said:

And Levi said he was careful not to clip the blacks, a term which I'd never heard before; I've always heard clipped highlights and crushed blacks... 

Pretty funny that he went in all the trouble not to crush the blacks and then they used an LUT that crushed everything up to midtones :) 

15 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Looks nice, but his style of color grading makes almost every camera he tests look the same.

Yes but still very good. Maybe one of the best skintones out of GH5 that I have seen.