Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sorry, but that looked drab to me. Perhaps it was the many browns and awful production, but it looked (apart from a couple of shots) like it was shot on a bog standard bridge camera. The focus transition mode shot was nice but all the hand held shots looked like they were filmed by a complete novice.

1 hour ago, Davey said:

Sorry, but that looked drab to me. Perhaps it was the many browns and awful production, but it looked (apart from a couple of shots) like it was shot on a bog standard bridge camera. The focus transition mode shot was nice but all the hand held shots looked like they were filmed by a complete novice.

Either I'm just being realistic now, or I've lowered my expectations, whatever. :) I already realize I could get much better skin tones than in these shots (they are all magenta, but we already know that's not the sensor's fault) - the color science won't be drastically different from previous Panasonic cameras. Also, although I've been criticized about my speculations, DPR don't say which lens they used - I'm guessing the 12-60mm - which is not going to give a cinematic look to the footage.

1 hour ago, dbp said:

Yeah, color is still very mediocre. Not terrible or anything, and I'll probably still wind up buying one but was hoping for a big jump over the GH4.

The colors will be fine, I can assure you. Also, they were probably shooting under fluorescent lighting, and they didn't do much color correction. I wouldn't worry about the color.

53 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Is it me or did the whisky video seem a bit wobbly in places?

Another question about the dual card slots, can both be used to record at maximum quality at the same time (instant back up)?

Since both card slots are UHS-II U3 I would only assume you can record at max on both at the same time.

If the GH5 does gain at the least a 1/2 stop DR, and a 1/2 stop low light ability, and focus is better, it has to be the bargain of the year for Video shooters.

But that is a lot to hope for. And that is what it will take for me to buy it. But damn it sure does have some nice specs! Panasonic has really not held anything back on this thing. It is probably the very best they can do for a m4/3 camera with present technology.

When you watch ICE by Griffin Hammond, it must be fair to assume that they don't have a clue at DP when it comes to actually filming anything on both a technical and artistic level. Good job I am not a conspiracy theorist because I would swear that their effort was sabotage on behalf of other camera companies they have a good relationship with.

I don't see any reason to come down so harshly on DPR like a pack of bloodhounds. We've already seen much worse, at least I have - and more is yet to come. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought DPR was a gear review site, not a production studio, so it's not fair to compare their work to that of Griffin Hammond. 'Wobbly!', 'Fail!', 'Shaky!', 'Atrocious color!' Actually, I can count the number of camera reviewers who even know how to shoot on one hand.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

I don't see any reason to come down so harshly on DPR like a pack of bloodthirsty packhounds. We've already seen much worse, at least I have - and more is yet to come. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought DPR was a gear review site, not a production studio, so it's not fair to compare their work to that of Griffin Hammond. 'Wobbly!', 'Fail!', 'Shaky!', 'Atrocious color!' Actually, I can count the number of camera reviewers who actually know how to shoot on one hand.

DPR is pretty much tops on camera reviews, but I am surprised they have not hired a full time know everything video guy. I know they are grooming Barney for the role, and I like him, but he is admittedly new at it. With video now a very important part of camera reviews I am confused why they don't up the ante with more talent. Probably something to do with Richard Butler. Seems too old school for my liking anymore. But I guess you have to have a stern Headmistress!

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

I don't see any reason to come down so harshly on DPR like a pack of bloodhounds. We've already seen much worse, at least I have - and more is yet to come. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought DPR was a gear review site, not a production studio, so it's not fair to compare their work to that of Griffin Hammond. 'Wobbly!', 'Fail!', 'Shaky!', 'Atrocious color!' Actually, I can count the number of camera reviewers who even know how to shoot on one hand.

The noise is either from the profile used or the sensor directly. Not sure what post work Grif did but it does stand out. That's not really a criticism of DPR, but the camera. As is shaky cam. I would have thought the ibis would have had that more under control. So both my points were said in relationship to the camera not DPR. 

OMG!

2 hours ago, Orangenz said:

The noise is either from the profile used or the sensor directly. Not sure what post work Grif did but it does stand out. That's not really a criticism of DPR, but the camera. As is shaky cam. I would have thought the ibis would have had that more under control. So both my points were said in relationship to the camera not DPR. 

I don't know anything, but it looks like the noise is from underexposure.