Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

On 2/8/2017 at 9:53 AM, jonpais said:

Edit: Once again, aside from some questions about the noise (M. Pampuri didn't do any de-noising), the comments are mostly of the genre 'to die for!', so I'm thinking of going to the clinic tomorrow to see if I've suffered a concussion or something...

Looking again at the 3200ISO footage from Pampuri, the amount of internal noise reduction is appalling. Not only does it produce plastic looking footage, but the temporal noise reduction produces some nasty artifacts like on the trees in 5:16.  

I would much rather have noise than NR smoothing/artifacts. I believe with the 400mbps bitrate it should look better. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

At 8:35 : confirmed that the AF sucks. 

What a shame. As he says AF aside this camera has everything really 4k60p, brillant image with 10 bit, 5 axis stab, small package, .... 
Come on, why on earth did they think with this decade old AF system. Seriously pissed since it is a feature I hardly live without on gimbal...

24 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

What a shame. As he says AF aside this camera has everything really 4k60p, brillant image with 10 bit, 5 axis stab, small package, .... 
Come on, why on earth did they think with this decade old AF system. Seriously pissed since it is a feature I hardly live without on gimbal...

We're not really surprised, are we? I've been saying all along that if AF-C was so good, Panasonic would have thrown a press junket and had photographers shooting track and field events. 

50 minutes ago, aldolega said:

It's still pre-release firmware, I think we should save the condemnations for the final release version.

Firmware update does not make magic to shitty contrast based AF. 

I had such big hope for GH5 becoming my video camera in parallel of a D810 for photo. Well, better waiting for A7SIII now...

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

I had such big hope for GH5 becoming my video camera in parallel of a D810 for photo. Well, better waiting for A7SIII now...

Not only that, but none of these guys wants to share their focus tests. Even the one where Kai and Dan Chung went filming out in the streets, they edited out all the misses and gave us just a couple minutes of usable footage. And the shots that were in focus could have just as well been done with a GH3, because the subjects they chose were contrasty enough for the system to lock on to. I can't say I'm really disappointed, because I never expected any improvement. What does bother me is that, once again, we've got an absolutely stunning location, but ugly, washed out, oversharpened images (using AE, what the hell!) that could have been shot with an inexpensive camcorder.

3 hours ago, wolf33d said:

It CAN do.

The Kipon AF adapter for Canon lenses on M4/3 cameras was very limited and had all sorts of issues as it was first sold.        After a couple of firmware updates it is near native for AFS at least with my CDAF only GX7 and several Canon lenses.

Admittedly, that was starting from a very low point.

I don't expect miracles from the GH5 but it IS possible that the final version will be better.

7 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Better autofocus requires a better sensor, since dual pixel autofocus technology is sensor-based, which Sony refuses to sell them. Perhaps that is why Panasonic  has announced that the GH6 will be with a Panasonic developed sensor.

I honestly don't understand this AF bashing syndrome. Have you checked the AF on the AS7II, which is a 3K USD camera?! if you wish to have AF, get the 80D, A6500 or 1DXII. I prefer to have better IQ over AF. The most of the GH series shooters are using adapters, so the built in AF is useless for them, a proper follow focus or an Aputure LENS regain solves this issue. 

1 hour ago, funkyou86 said:

I honestly don't understand this AF bashing syndrome. Have you checked the AF on the AS7II, which is a 3K USD camera?! if you wish to have AF, get the 80D, A6500 or 1DXII. I prefer to have better IQ over AF. The most of the GH series shooters are using adapters, so the built in AF is useless for them, a proper follow focus or an Aputure LENS regain solves this issue. 

I'm not pointing the finger at anybody, but I'd really love to see the work of some of these folks who say this or that camera is a complete fail because of weak low light performance, slow AF-C, rolling shutter, limited dynamic range, motion cadence, 8-bit 4:2:0, yada yada da. What is most disconcerting for me, as someone who cares more about content than specs, is the amount of garbage I've waded through in the past couple of months watching so many of these beta testers' videos, the most recent offender being Giulio Sciorio's unboxing.

On February 2, 2017 at 0:34 PM, Brother said:

@wolf33d clearly the wrong camera for you!

@funkyou86 so many cameras to choose from!...this one aims more squarely at narrative film making...like you I'm baffled!....especially seeing that almost nobody even has this camera in their hands yet...and there are ways to adjust the the sensitivity of the AF system to suit the users  needs, and firmware upgrades to come months after the camera will even be available for purchase! WTF! :grin:...anyway, for selfish reasons it more than ticks all the boxes for me!!

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I'm not pointing the finger at anybody, but I'd really love to see the work of some of these folks who say this or that camera is a complete fail because of weak low light performance, slow AF-C, rolling shutter, limited dynamic range, motion cadence, 8-bit 4:2:0, yada yada da. What is most disconcerting for me, as someone who cares more about content than specs, is the amount of garbage I've waded through in the past couple of months watching so many of these beta testers' videos.

I think this is where reading between the lines is necessary...I would never base my decision to buy this camera on the early footage on a pre-production model, though to my possibly flawed eye, I've seen some truly lovely images already...certainly enough to put the camera issue behind me and to get on with the story...I personally actually care rather little about this shot or that...really just will it work for me?...saw your "too much camera for me post", and having looked at some of your other footage, I would say no, but as you're already happy with your G80, why bother with the GH5?....besides if this is what comes after the GH4, just imagine the GH6! :grin::grin:

3 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

I think this is where reading between the lines is necessary...I would never base my decision to buy this camera on the early footage on a pre-production model, though to my possibly flawed eye, I've seen some truly lovely images already...certainly enough to put the camera issue behind me and to get on with the story...I personally actually care rather little about this shot or that...really just will it work for me?...saw your "too much camera for me post", and having looked at some of your other footage, I would say no, but as you're already happy with your G80, why bother with the GH5?....besides if this is what comes after the GH4, just imagine the GH6! :grin::grin:

So, are you saying the G80/85 would hold you back creatively as a filmmaker, and that your content will be that much better with the GH5?  I just finished watching hmcindie's punksteam sci-fi-fi work shot on a Canon and thought to myself that no amount of equipment in the world would enable me to create something as crazy and wonderful as that.

30 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I'm not pointing the finger at anybody, but I'd really love to see the work of some of these folks who say this or that camera is a complete fail because of weak low light performance, slow AF-C, rolling shutter, limited dynamic range, motion cadence, 8-bit 4:2:0, yada yada da. What is most disconcerting for me, as someone who cares more about content than specs, is the amount of garbage I've waded through in the past couple of months watching so many of these beta testers' videos, the most recent offender being Giulio Sciorio's unboxing.

I wasn't targeting your posts, i meant these judges, who don't understand that the "perfect" camera won't come in one package (for 2K money). Content is the king, not the specs, totally agree.  Choose the right camera for the right job.

1 minute ago, funkyou86 said:

I wasn't targeting your posts, i meant these judges, who don't understand that the "perfect" camera won't come in one package (for 2K money). Content is the king, not the specs, totally agree.  Choose the right camera for the right job.

Yeah, I know you weren't. But I do think we're getting a lot of new forum members signing up just to tell me how wrong I am. :) 

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

So, are you saying the G80/85 would hold you back creatively as a filmmaker, and that your content will be that much better with the GH5?  I just finished watching hmcindie's punksteam sci-fi-fi work shot on a Canon and thought to myself that no amount of equipment in the world would enable me to create something as crazy and wonderful as that.

Not at all...if I get the funding for a project I'm currently working on, I would buy the Varicam LT...and the GH5 to match in tight places etc...I very much advocate the "get past the camera notion"....I think the image so many cameras can produce in the hands of someone talented, is just ridiculously good today!!...that's why I am cofounded by all the pixel peaking and criticism of what looks like an incredible piece of gear to me!...I would personally also hire a cinematographer...although I can operate, I'm no one man band:grin::grin:...and  I prefer not to...But for me the robustness of the GH5 shooting for 12 to 14 weeks under varied conditions would be important...and even then it would be used only in conjunction with the Varicam, and I would have probably 3 GH5 bodies on set...and a GH4 and GH2....I think the notion of one camera doing everything is possible, but not for me...not disagreeing with you though...just explaining my needs relative to your post.

15 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Well, maybe tap to focus may be not so bad route, after all, I'd say...