Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@jonpais what G100??!!

Many of the features of the spanking new GH5 will trickle down to the midrange cameras, including 4K 60fps, 4:2:2 10-bit, no crop in 4K, USB-C for faster transfer of files, higher frame rates in 1080, faster processing power, dual IS II, sharper EVF and LCD screens. The nice thing is, unlike Fuji or Samsung, for example, Panasonic is no longer going to give us pixel binning or line skipping or whatever (I confess to not knowing all the technical stuff) on their lower end cameras. And I predict the next model will be a rangefinder style body similar to the GX80/85, with many of the capabilities of the GH5, minus things like vector scopes, wave form monitors, V-Log, anamorphic, master pedestal, and dual card slots at a price around $1,200-1,300.00 USD. And since I don't need any of those features, I'm seriously considering waiting and seeing what Panasonic has to offer in the fall. Because quite frankly, the GH5 is more than I need, and I prefer a more compact body like  the G80/85.

30 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

* V-Log 8bit 60fps 4K  * ISO 400, shutter at 1/60
* Mitakon Zhongyi Speedmaster 25mm f/0.95 Lens, aperture at 1.4 to 2.0

The images are cool, but there is pretty bad artifacting (macroblocking?) or something going on, at least on my computer with the slow connection here, so again, difficult to make any call on the image quality. Maybe they were lifting the shadows too much? I've got no idea...

Edit: I'm not seeing the macroblocking in Joe Nanoski's A Disney Night video, so I'm assuming there's something wrong with the way he uploaded it or something. Yet nobody else even mentions how distracting it is in the comments, so color me baffled. :) 

31 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Monsieur Pampuri loves to listen to himself speak, but he says nothing at all that we don't already know from reading Panasonic's literature; he just babbles on endlessly about how wonderful the camera is, but it rings hollow. It's also especially uncomfortable watching him at such close proximity. Some of the most underwhelming footage I've seen from the camera to date. Even Paris, one of the most photogenic cities on earth, fails to interest me in these blasé shots.

Edit: Once again, aside from some questions about the noise (M. Pampuri didn't do any de-noising), the comments are mostly of the genre 'to die for!', so I'm thinking of going to the clinic tomorrow to see if I've suffered a concussion or something...

20 minutes ago, liork said:

With the A7s you can shoot iso 25,600 with not much problem, the GH5 cannot touch it.

For stills I am fine with the A7s (original) at ISO 102400 sometimes for colour and sometimes black and white even higher.

For my limited video use, it is similar though ghosting does become an issue sometimes at 102400 and higher or lower (any ISO maybe) with too low an ISO set.

I have had photos in newspapers taken at 51200 used as normal shots without any noise reduction.

2 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

another one for @jonpais

:grin:

You're funny. ? Waiting for me to tear it apart? ha Unfortunately I'm at the coffee shop so I can't watch it on my lousy Safari browser.

Looks like I hurt someone's feelings. The Mitakon video has been taken down by the user. ?

5 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

There should be no macroblocking. In fact it's surprisingly clean and devoid of artifacts. I'm watching in 4K on a 5K iMac using a Chrome browser. It could be your connection and, as a result, artifacting courtesy of YouTube. Interestingly, using the Safari browser, I do see some macroblocking in some spots of the video.

Of course I'm assuming you're looking at this in a totally objective manner and not starting off with a generally negative impression of the GH5. ;)

Video taken down by user. The other videos uploaded by him were all clean looking on Safari, even the Disney one, which was shot at night as well. And I've never experienced that with any other videos on YouTube either, unless they were lifting the shadows too much. So it's not my hate mode this time. :) 

10 hours ago, liork said:

With the A7s you can shoot iso 25,600 with not much problem, the GH5 cannot touch it.

Yes, my a7s is cleaner at 25,600 than at 3200. I just cannot shoot everything at 25,600. Really disappointed with the camera.

My A7sii is clean across the board.

4 hours ago, Davey said:

Yes, my a7s is cleaner at 25,600 than at 3200. I just cannot shoot everything at 25,600. Really disappointed with the camera.

My A7sii is clean across the board.

Starting from 12800 ISO the picture might be ok for downresized 1080p but too many noise reduction artifacts and mud for 4k distribution. ISO 12800 looks much better on the Sony FS5 (APS-C sensor) with an external raw recorder.
ISO 6400 looks good on the a7S II though.

ISO 3200 looks good on the GH5, that's just one stop less. ISO 5000 shows ghosting produced by the strong temporal noise reduction kicking in (unusable for me tbh)...