Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

+1 Very enjoyable video, nice colors, great location and all. But... this is hardly definitive. First of all, Panasonic's AF-C works best with contrasty subjects, and the woman wearing the white coat at the beginning of the video, and Kai's nutty hat :) are easy pickings for the camera's AF system. When I did my own tests of the GH4 with the Zhiyun Crane, when circling the subject, the three year-old camera had no problem maintaining focus, even with a longer focal length, if the subject had so much as a spot of sunshine in her hair. it also worked well if the subject was wearing a black and white blouse, jewelry or sunglasses. Then, we're talking about wide angle in these shots, so the focus won't be so critical. Lastly, this video has been edited (it's 2-1/2 minutes long), and I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but just like reviews we are always complaining about that bury the bad stuff in a couple sentences among heaps of praise, these results can hardly be called conclusive. 

God, you're right, I didn't even realised about the hat, but the bit at the beginning with the hands and the heads wasn't that bad either. I'm sure it will be better, maybe not at dual pixel level. One thing I did see is no focus hunting back and forth, so there's still hope.

Does anybody know if the AF gets affected by the V-Log stuff? With the possibility of adding a LUT maybe we can apply a contrasty one and help it a little bit, or at least in manual focus mode. As in Focus LUT :glasses:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
31 minutes ago, Ivanhurba said:

God, you're right, I didn't even realised about the hat, but the bit at the beginning with the hands and the heads wasn't that bad either. I'm sure it will be better, maybe not at dual pixel level. One thing I did see is no focus hunting back and forth, so there's still hope.

Does anybody know if the AF gets affected by the V-Log stuff? With the possibility of adding a LUT maybe we can apply a contrasty one and help it a little bit, or at least in manual focus mode. As in Focus LUT :glasses:

Vlog has nothing to do with focusing. It is not the contrast on your screen that counts but the one in reality

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

+1 Very enjoyable video, nice colors, great location and all. But... this is hardly definitive. First of all, Panasonic's AF-C works best with contrasty subjects, and the woman wearing the white coat at the beginning of the video, and Kai's nutty hat :) are easy pickings for the camera's AF system. When I did my own tests of the GH4 with the Zhiyun Crane, when circling the subject, the three year-old camera had no problem maintaining focus, even with a longer focal length, if the subject had so much as a spot of sunshine in her hair. it also worked well if the subject was wearing a black and white blouse, jewelry or sunglasses. Then, we're talking about wide angle in these shots, so the focus won't be so critical. Lastly, this video has been edited (it's 2-1/2 minutes long), and I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but just like reviews we are always complaining about that bury the bad stuff in a couple sentences among heaps of praise, these results can hardly be called conclusive. 

4 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Great color and motion cadence, does not look like much rolling shutter at all.

True.

That last shot looks like made on a steadicam... But it's handheld, folks!

WOW What a piece of technology! A consumer camera, WTH...

53 minutes ago, sina_html said:

Well, if there is any vignetting at all, it's certainly not bothersome. And if you're like me, and already own an XL and are contemplating getting the GH5 (something which, more and more, I'm thinking not), I understand the interest in these tests. For those who don't already own the XL, I would definitely caution against pre-ordering one and hoping MB will come out with a firmware update that solves all these issues. And for those investing in the micro four thirds system for the first time, I would strongly urge you to check out some of the great fast native lenses available before investing in a focal reducer.

On 2/5/2017 at 2:40 PM, funkyou86 said:

http://www.43rumors.com/gh5-is-expected-to-start-shipping-on-march-28/

I really hope that european companies will get the camera on stock earlier...

Most likely that will not happen, but being hopeful is not a bad thing.  Panasonic Japan, expects delay due to receiving large number of pre orders... MARKETING

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 5.19.16 PM.png

And if you're willing to wait just a bit longer, say September, Panasonic will be releasing the G100, essentially the same as the GH5, only in a more compact rangefinder body, with 4K 60, no 4K crop, USB-C, Dual IS, the same resolution EVF and LCD, but only 1 SD card slot, no anamorphic mode, no in-body 4:2:2 10-bit or V-log, and without vector scopes or waveform monitor for only $1,300. ?

12 minutes ago, Santiago de la Rosa said:

After seeing all videos, I think DR is the same as GH4. What do you think?

Not easy to judge DR just by looking videos. But we can guess the DR of the GH5 will turn arround at 12 stops max. Because M4/3 sensor.

There you have your answer