Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Im not sure I understand all the hate towards that video. Thought it was fine for what it is. I learned a thing or two about the GH5 from it. And its not like I paid the guy.

Not liking the video does not make anyone a hater, nor does it mean we don't enjoy when someone expresses unbounded enthusiasm for a new product. And whether or not he was paid for making the video is completely irrelevant. Furthermore, for someone to say we just create works to get likes on YouTube or Vimeo is also asinine. Whether it was spontaneous or not is also irrelevant - he shot the clip, edited it and presented it, and viewers are intelligent enough to arrive at their own conclusions. I dislike Casey Neistat and Casey Neistat wannabe vloggers with a passion, so maybe that's why it left me cold. Not only that, but since the uploader boasts of being the first vlogger to use the GH5, my own impression from watching this video is that it performs rather poorly in that regard. In fact, if an aspiring vlogger on a limited budget asked me whether they should buy the GH5, I'd reply that their money would be better spent getting a G80 and spending the remainder on an Aputure 120t and Light Dome. Like most people, I've watched thousands of videos on YouTube, and inevitably I compare to other works I've seen. But I don't have to defend not liking the video - you're free to enjoy it, I'm free to think it was a complete and utter waste of my time. 

Edit: Like most people watching any video about the GH5, I hope to learn something about the camera - that is nothing unusual or strange - as well expecting to see the pre-production models being put to use by talented filmmakers: and unlike you, I felt I didn't learn anything new about it at all. And anyone who posts a video about the GH5 should be aware that they will be getting lots of hits and coming in for some scrutiny (if not, they are naive), so I think it only fair if their videos are judged accordingly. After all, he's not just some excitable kid with a van and a camera: he's studied filmmaking, has over 13,000 subscribers, has a bunch of gear and supposedly knows how to use it.

@jonpais....I agree with you and also with Mattias..and if budget was an issue, that would be good advice....the opportunity to see how a camera performs with no practice is valuable though...both for those who like or don't the GH5 and these cameras may be regarde as Prosumer, but they certainly come with lots of professional features to be used (or not) before one can tap into optimizing the image you need for a specific project...I like Panny cameras for perhaps a different reason than most ( don't mean to be presumptious)...I like the fact that they are almost bombproof...have never had any glitch with one...ever...(for me starting with the HVX200)...for my use, it works...period....I realise for many it does not, and they won't buy it....but I find that every time Panny releases a new GH cam, the criticism that mounts against their efforts, seem to exceed far beyond the limitations of other manufacturers shortcomings...(think I'm too old to be a fanboy!) but to my eye, the GH5 is approaching Varicam territory...with stabilization....and it's discreet...and so far nothing I've seen has persuaded me differently...so for feature work, I would use it without any hesitation alongside the Varicam LT....and to my eye, that is a tremendous achievement....my only complaint is I'd like one now!?

28 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

Panasonic Australia offering V-log for preorders, Panasonic UK offering 5 year warranty. Very strange policy.

In the UK, retailers sales are being hit hard by grey goods. By offering things like the 5 year manufacturer warranty, Panasonic offer something that these grey good dealers cant match, which draws consumers back to the legit retailers. 

As for the choice between vlog and a 5 year warranty.. the former is a $100 upgrade and the latter is a warranty worth much much more. I know which i'd take.  

9 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

In the UK, retailers sales are being hit hard by grey goods. By offering things like the 5 year manufacturer warranty, Panasonic offer something that these grey good dealers cant match, which draws consumers back to the legit retailers. 

As for the choice between vlog and a 5 year warranty.. the former is a $100 upgrade and the latter is a warranty worth much much more. I know which i'd take.  

I would take the V-log instantly without a hassle. There is a higher possibility that the camera will get damaged "in action" than in "warranty".

On 02/02/2017 at 7:26 PM, jonpais said:

so awful, couldn't get past the first few minutes

As I understand it, he's got a bit of a manic-depressive thing going on. He's using the vlog to help himself through. A bit slow for me but I respect him for containing things and getting a bunch of work done along the way. 

2 hours ago, Philip Lipetz said:

There is an ETC crop mode that takes a 4K pixel crop of the sensor. It is a 2.7 to 2.8 (different reports) compared to the 2x crop of the full Sensor 5k downsized to 4K mode. The 4K ETC mode uses the same 9x9 pixel debayering pattern as the full sensor mode 

That's all too complicated for me?.  Why not just get the Ultra and not worry about the XL covering the whole sensor? Seems to work fine...

3 hours ago, Ivanhurba said:

Finally! Not bad at all!

+1 Very enjoyable video, nice colors, great location and all. But... this is hardly definitive. First of all, Panasonic's AF-C works best with contrasty subjects, and the woman wearing the white coat at the beginning of the video, and Kai's nutty hat :) are easy pickings for the camera's AF system. When I did my own tests of the GH4 with the Zhiyun Crane, when circling the subject, the three year-old camera had no problem maintaining focus, even with a longer focal length, if the subject had so much as a spot of sunshine in her hair. it also worked well if the subject was wearing a black and white blouse, jewelry or sunglasses. Then, we're talking about wide angle in these shots, so the focus won't be so critical. Lastly, this video has been edited (it's 2-1/2 minutes long), and I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but just like reviews we are always complaining about that bury the bad stuff in a couple sentences among heaps of praise, these results can hardly be called conclusive. 

41 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

s

Great color and motion cadence, does not look like much rolling shutter at all.

Nice work here as well, beautiful scenery, too. Some comments over at YouTube saying how much nicer the color is than the GH4, but Panasonic's midrange cameras (GX85/G85) already have very pleasing skin tones. For people like myself, who only do a little color correction and maybe applying a LUT for Web delivery, it looks like 8 bit will be fine for 50/60 fps.