Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

Hey everyone,

I'm very stoked about the GH5 and will shoot a lot in 4k 50 fps! 
The question is, which external monitor will accept this signal as input? I'm using a cheap Seetec monitor at the moment with the GH3, but I don't think it is able to handle a 4k 50 fps feed.
I've seen some affordable newer monitors which accept a 4K signal, but only 30 fps at most.

Anyone knows anyhing about this? Or could recommend some fairly priced monitors?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, aldolega said:

If you're just monitoring, not recording, you could just turn on the HDMI downscaling. Then you'll have a 1080p60 signal, which most monitors should accept.

Oh great. Didn't know that option existed :)

That would solve my problems.

15 hours ago, Brother said:

For you vloggers out there:

With such Vlog filmmaking vibe nowadays on lazy YT viewers, Griffith must be spinning most likely in the grave...
Anyways, here is an interesting low light outcome from a lightweight device I am sure D. W. would love to have it in his days -- from 3:17, 6:23 and 8:53, respectively:

2 hours ago, Ki Rin said:

the AF doesn't seem to perform very well in that video. Or maybe that lens cant focus that close? that would be a bummer

He says it's MF (5'13"), and that though it's not Dual IS but just IBIS on there is no micro-juddering.

22 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I didn't even stop to consider the image quality, the content was so off-putting. Like a child salivating over a new toy.

I would have been excited too. Let's face it: grown-ups don't freak out about gadgetry. This lengthy video, unrehearsed, practically un-edited, off-the-cuff reality TV, better shows the capabilities of a camera than those thoroughly picked snippets we see elsewhere. My impression: nothing to write home about regarding image quality, but apparently a no-nonsense workhorse.

5 hours ago, Axel said:

He says it's MF (5'13"), and that though it's not Dual IS but just IBIS on there is no micro-juddering.

I would have been excited too. Let's face it: grown-ups don't freak out about gadgetry. This lengthy video, unrehearsed, practically un-edited, off-the-cuff reality TV, better shows the capabilities of a camera than those thoroughly picked snippets we see elsewhere. My impression: nothing to write home about regarding image quality, but apparently a no-nonsense workhorse.

+1 Good reading between the lines!...with each new camera release and posted clips, the comments just keep getting more ridiculous....This guy took the camera from his friend...climbed in his van, turned the camera on and started driving...WTF....what is anybody commenting negatively on the GH5 based on this clip expecting?

20 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

+1 Good reading between the lines!...with each new camera release and posted clips, the comments just keep getting more ridiculous....This guy took the camera from his friend...climbed in his van, turned the camera on and started driving...WTF....what is anybody commenting negatively on the GH5 based on this clip expecting?

Nobody could seriously judge image quality based on this video, so yes, it's bizarre to say the least. Yet not a single person commented on the high ISO test shot in anamorphic mode posted earlier. 

13 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Nobody could seriously judge image quality based on this video, so yes, it's bizarre to say the least. Yet not a single person commented on the high ISO test shot in anamorphic mode posted earlier. 

Exactly Jonpais!!...and I like the fact that Brother is out there excited and playing with the GH5 for a night (he actually mentions that it's all manual focus BTW!)...but he's out there shooting!....sleeping in he's van in the cold to catch beauty light before sunrise...like the energy and enthusiasm more than the armchair pixel peeping...my comment on the GH5 would simply be, if this is your budget and you want a reliable, work anytime you need it on set, or a wedding or whatever, and ease of operation camera, this camera is amazing...and there are more trolls for the GH series cameras than any other cams, so Panny must be doing something right!...as for the exhausting DR discussion, buy some lights and learn to use them, or another camera and go fumbling around in the dark!

48 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Im not sure I understand all the hate towards that video. Thought it was fine for what it is. I learned a thing or two about the GH5 from it. And its not like I paid the guy.

His sin is making videography seem like fun, and the act of filming being its own reward. We all know that the only real purpose of filming is to get positive comments on the video blogs.