Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I live in Vietnam where the internet is notoriously slow; I upload videos to YouTube every week; and I think the YouTube videos are a very good representation of my work, concerning both aliasing (spell check almost changed that to Asian girls!) and sharpness.

So - once again, alone with nothing but time on my hands, and I was wondering: just how much abuse would you subject a camera to that claims to be splash-proof, freeze-proof and dust-proof? Personally, I'd never subject any one of my cameras or lenses to the elements if at all possible. If it starts to rain, I run for cover immediately, and at home, I try never to leave a camera out at night where dust can settle on it.

One more question - I just finished re-watching the Camera Store TV's review of the Leica M-D, a rangefinder camera that costs $6,000 and doesn't even have an LCD screen. I seem to recall some people saying, after Panasonic's official announcement of the GH5, that the ball was in Sony's court now. Should other manufacturers follow Panasonic's lead and rush to introduce at least 100 new features on their next cameras, or should they be concentrating on something else instead?

The ball is in Sony's court?  What?  I don't understand the Sony reverence.  Panasonic, Olympus, Samsung, and even Canon have introduced cameras with Cinema 4k and actual 24fps.  Sony hasn't.  Moreover, Sony can't even create a camera without overheating issues. 

Sony needs to play catch up in so many ways they shouldn't even be mentioned as a viable option for anyone but masochists. 

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

One more question - I just finished re-watching the Camera Store TV's review of the Leica M-D, a rangefinder camera that costs $6,000 and doesn't even have an LCD screen. I seem to recall some people saying, after Panasonic's official announcement of the GH5, that the ball was in Sony's court now. Should other manufacturers follow Panasonic's lead and rush to introduce at least 100 new features on their next cameras, or should they be concentrating on something else instead?

I'm not sure if you intended it this way - but it sounds to me you think Panasonic is rushing to add features, in a bad way (I.e. focusing on the wrong things)? Regardless, I think Panasonic is showing that they are actively listening to the market and adding features people are actually asking for. (Of course, more so on the video side, which this site is about, than the photography side, where they are struggling more with sensor size and focusing limitations). I think the Sony reference is mostly because when Sony came out with 4K, people were saying "Why buy a Panasonic - the sony has stabilization, bigger sensor etc". Now Panasonic has clearly stepped it up with the best 4k features, stabilization AND probably the biggest dig to Sony, they do not overheat or run into recording limitations of any kind.

I am curious as to what competition will come about now that Panasonic has released a body with 10bit at $2K. Surely the competition will get interesting?? That said, I think the sub $1500 market is very exciting and competitive these days with take your pic a6300/a6500/GX85/BMMCC/BMPCC etc. I'm a low budget guy so hopefully this 10 bit goodness will trickle down soon enough!

1 hour ago, tosvus said:

I'm not sure if you intended it this way - but it sounds to me you think Panasonic is rushing to add features, in a bad way (I.e. focusing on the wrong things)? Regardless, I think Panasonic is showing that they are actively listening to the market and adding features people are actually asking for. (Of course, more so on the video side, which this site is about, than the photography side, where they are struggling more with sensor size and focusing limitations). I think the Sony reference is mostly because when Sony came out with 4K, people were saying "Why buy a Panasonic - the sony has stabilization, bigger sensor etc". Now Panasonic has clearly stepped it up with the best 4k features, stabilization AND probably the biggest dig to Sony, they do not overheat or run into recording limitations of any kind.

Not at all.

On 10.1.2017 at 3:32 PM, jonpais said:

The focus ring on my 18-35mm has considerably more dampening than the 30mm. I don't even know if I could recommend the 30mm for MF. When using a gimbal and shooting AFC with the GH4, when the subject had strong highlights from the sun in her hair, the AF was able to keep up because of the contrast. If there was a lot of strong light in the background, like windows, or if the subject was low contrast, the AFC couldn't maintain focus. If I ever use AFC with a Panasonic again, I'll be sure to have the subject wear sunglasses, a black and white blouse or shiny earrings. The camera locks onto those no problem.

Thanks again. Then I won't buy the 30mm, because gimbal bumble is the only time to switch to AF for me. I already know. I will (again) make the camera "ENG-style":

> put a big soft eyepiece on the excellent EVF, like I did with my GH2 (Zacuto replacement part, € 16):

Zacuto-Muschel-1.JPG

> instead of a rig-diculous rig, I'll buy a grip like this:

Proaim-Grip.jpg

> I'll re-buy only one lens for the start: the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for Nikon G. For Nikon, because then I get a MB speedboosted manual aperture ring, which I find more intuitive. And I am used to the direction of the focus ring.

> I'll buy two adapters: Novoflex MFT<Nikon. This makes the Sigma a 36-70 @f1.8 (FF equivalent). Then a Metabones speedbooster (don't know which one works yet, don't know how much stops it will boost), with, say, crop-reducing by 0,7 I would have the Sigma be ~ 25-50mm and faster than f1.4.

> for a small AF lens, I am not sure. They all seem to shout 'sterile video'! Might then be the cheap and very light 14mm pancake, or should I really spend $1500 for Leica Summi-something?

1 hour ago, Axel said:

Thanks again. Then I won't buy the 30mm, because gimbal bumble is the only time to switch to AF for me. I already know. I will (again) make the camera "ENG-style":

> put a big soft eyepiece on the excellent EVF, like I did with my GH2 (Zacuto replacement part, € 16):

Zacuto-Muschel-1.JPG

> instead of a rig-diculous rig, I'll buy a grip like this:

Proaim-Grip.jpg

> I'll re-buy only one lens for the start: the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for Nikon G. For Nikon, because then I get a MB speedboosted manual aperture ring, which I find more intuitive. And I am used to the direction of the focus ring.

> I'll buy two adapters: Novoflex MFT<Nikon. This makes the Sigma a 36-70 @f1.8 (FF equivalent). Then a Metabones speedbooster (don't know which one works yet, don't know how much stops it will boost), with, say, crop-reducing by 0,7 I would have the Sigma be ~ 25-50mm and faster than f1.4.

> for a small AF lens, I am not sure. They all seem to shout 'sterile video'! Might then be the cheap and very light 14mm pancake, or should I really spend $1500 for Leica Summi-something?

I hear you about MFT lenses screaming 'sterile video', but I've seen some nice stuff with them, even the f/2.8 lenses, so it's probably more about lighting and stuff than the lenses themselves. I think the Leica Nocticron is worth every penny, but I did get a hefty discount, or I would never have considered buying one.

Beautiful, and beautifully graded. I wouldn't hesitate to spend 1000 bucks for a superior lens. For this focal range, do you think it would beat the Sigma Art 50mm? I think with such a small DoF it would have to be manual anyway.