Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

4 hours ago, Tzedekh said:

I don't understand the point in implementing an HDR mode if it doesn't capture any more than the 12 stops achievable with conventional means. 

To display not REC.709 with a maximum 6 Stops but all 12 stops this camera is capable of on the HDR TV-Set without a super compressed gamma curve?

BTW, the human eye can aparently only see a range of 14 stops in a single image.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_dynamic_range

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

That's my understanding as well. Anyhow, I've been shooting Dual IS Mk 1 with the Nocticron and G85, and some think I used a tripod, so I wouldn't sweat it.

I don't think the GH5 will be capable of Dial IS MK 1. Only MK 2.

So you get just plain IBIS or plain Power OIS with the current 12-35 lens even with the Dual IS MK 1 firmware update.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, marcuswolschon said:

So you get just plain IBIS or plain Power OIS with the current 12-35 lens even with the Dual IS MK 1 firmware update.

So you're saying it won't be backward compatible? I find that highly unlikely.

Listening to Matt Frazer, manager retail services Panasonic, talking about the 12-35mm f/2.8 v.2 at CES, he says that the new lens will have a new aperture system so you won't see dithering when zooming as you're working with video. I never noticed this, but then again, I seldom zoom in or out once I've hit record. When asked about the original 12-35mm f/2.8 not having Dual IS v.2, he does not say the lens will not have any dual IS capability.

5 hours ago, Philip Lipetz said:

The f1.2 will have a firmware update late in 2017 to make it Dual IS 2  compatible. 

Dear Philip,

thank you for good news.  Do you have any official roadmap were this information stems from.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

So you're saying it won't be backward compatible? I find that highly unlikely.

Listening to Matt Frazer, manager retail services Panasonic, talking about the 12-35mm f/2.8 v.2 at CES, he says that the new lens will have a new aperture system so you won't see dithering when zooming as you're working with video. I never noticed this, but then again, I seldom zoom in or out once I've hit record. When asked about the original 12-35mm f/2.8 not having Dual IS v.2, he does not say the lens will not have any dual IS capability.

If the source is right:

"The new 12-35mm F2.8 II ASPH. POWER O.I.S. and 35-100mm F2.8 II POWER O.I.S. now have a black finish. They also have new iris mechanisms that are supposed to give smoother aperture transitions when shooting video. One bit of good news for owners of the existing versions of the 12-35 and 35-100 is that those lenses will get a firmware update at some point to make them work with the Dual I.S. 2 system."

2 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

If the source is right:

"The new 12-35mm F2.8 II ASPH. POWER O.I.S. and 35-100mm F2.8 II POWER O.I.S. now have a black finish. They also have new iris mechanisms that are supposed to give smoother aperture transitions when shooting video. One bit of good news for owners of the existing versions of the 12-35 and 35-100 is that those lenses will get a firmware update at some point to make them work with the Dual I.S. 2 system."

Thanks, OliKMIA.

12 minutes ago, Jn- said:

That's great news for existing users of the now "older" f2.8 zooms. If the source is right?

I said "if the source is right" because right now we got some information here and there from various media or people who got the info by some rep somewhere, etc. Plus the article mentions "those lenses will get a firmware update at some point". So I'll just wait and see until we have solid conformation from Panasonic.

On 07/01/2017 at 5:21 AM, Neumann Films said:

To be fair, her being the main subject was our choice and no one else's.  

Actually I wasn't referring to her being in every shot (and making every shot consequently that much better) but simply that Bondini regarding "Neumann Films" as just a man is actually the sexist part, not Panasonic. It jumps on the SJW train and disrespects both the quality of work involved in all the promos, and the actual people involved (like M) 

9 hours ago, marcuswolschon said:

The difference is in the ability of the lens drive, not the body. The older lenses will still have dual IS mk1. Why on earth would you think otherwise? http://shop.panasonic.com/dual-is 

41 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Actually I wasn't referring to her being in every shot (and making every shot consequently that much better) but simply that Bondini regarding "Neumann Films" as just a man is actually the sexist part, not Panasonic. It jumps on the SJW train and disrespects both the quality of work involved in all the promos, and the actual people involved (like M) 

Trust me...we're on the same page but unfortunately, not everyone else is.

3 hours ago, Orangenz said:

I never said anything about Neumann Films being a man. But "Luke Neumann Filmmaker/Neumann Films" is a man, as he is credited in the promo about 4 dudes with cameras. That's an incontrovertible fact, so stop making up stuff and show me your cute buns already.

20 hours ago, jonpais said:

The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is a sharp, featherweight, inexpensive, no-frills AF MFT lens. I realize many prefer to use wide angle lenses with a gimbal, but a longer, faster lens allows you to throw the background out of focus more easily.

Thank you, jonpais. The 30 mm looks very sharp indeed (some tolerable moire, the guy with the red relax-cap). It appears to have the same nice focus ring as the 18-35. And it has a very good FoV. Used the 18-35 mm speedboosted on my Pocket almost exclusively @35mm, which equalled a 50mm FF. Imo the advantage of a gimbal over a steadicam is that you don't need to go very wide, making your shots look like GoPro. Now I could adapt the 18-35 mm with a normal adapter also (this is not so much about the weight, I have the Ronin M), particularly if you say that CAF won't work for this kind of shot, but I see that the 30mm was indeed a very good option.

• Administrators
On 09/01/2017 at 7:27 AM, Brian Caldwell said:

The 0.64x Speed Booster XL and 0.71x Ultra are both designed to cover fullframe 4:3 format (21.6mm diagonal).  As long as you use a master lens with a sufficiently large image circle you wont have vignetting.  24x36mm format lenses will always work.  I expect some issues with certain APS-C lenses.

Well, you would be slightly hampered by 4:3 if shooting with 2x anamorphics.  But with 1.79x anamorphics on the other hand . . . . .:glasses:

I really hope Panasonic can do a de-squeeze in camera... and remember to crop the edges from 2.66:1 to 2.39:1 with the 2x glass ;)

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, Vesku said:

No exposure info in automatic video modes. I hope they fix it for final FW.

EXPO-INFO.jpg

You should really never shoot with auto-aperture, it's bad technique even for auto.

If you're going to use auto then it's less of a trade off to have the shutter speed and ISO control exposure, rather than the aperture.

Who wants to have the camera ride the aperture all the way down to F16 in some instances?

Even the staccato look of 1/4000 is less noticeable than using yukky slow apertures on a scene which really demands some composition in-depth.

Only scenes that need a deep DOF should be shot at F8 or slower.