Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

7 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

@Vesku where are you seeing auto iso in M? 

"GH5 becomes the first Panasonic to allow the use of Auto ISO in manual exposure mode. It also maintains exposure compensation when doing so. This is true for both stills and video....you can now set the minimum shutter speed threshold before the camera raises ISO"

https://***URL removed***/reviews/movie-maven-panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5-first-impressions-review/3

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Tzedekh said:

Anyone know anything about the GH5's hybrid log-gamma HDR mode and how much, if at all, it extends dynamic range? 

It should work directly with 10bit HDR TV giving the best HDR video possible with GH5 dynamic range. True HDR is 15 stops or more and GH5 is not capable of that.

22 hours ago, Axel said:

Now the whole lenses questions come up again. Which speedboosters work? Will some vignette on the non-crop sensor (or little crop compared to GH4)?

The 0.64x Speed Booster XL and 0.71x Ultra are both designed to cover fullframe 4:3 format (21.6mm diagonal).  As long as you use a master lens with a sufficiently large image circle you wont have vignetting.  24x36mm format lenses will always work.  I expect some issues with certain APS-C lenses.

On 1/4/2017 at 11:46 AM, Andrew Reid said:

"6K/24p Anamorphic Video Mode, while fun, is severely hampered by its 4:3 aspect ratio"

UM!

That's what an anamorphic mode is - 4:3

Someone let our dear friends at Cinema5D know.

Well, you would be slightly hampered by 4:3 if shooting with 2x anamorphics.  But with 1.79x anamorphics on the other hand . . . . .:glasses:

From the info box of the video over at Vimeo:

Nick Driftwood sent me a 'GH5 ISO in the Dark' test exclusively for Newsshooter to check over. Its another take on the one he shot last night at 30p which is over on his YouTube channel. In this test, Nick used the following settings;-
4:2:0 8-bit 60p mode (59.94fps) in 4K UHD, H.264 Level High 5.2, 158 Mbps, married with the new 12-60 Leica f2.8-4.0 ASPH lens. Nick tells me he believes the Lumix GH5 definitely has big improvements over the GH4 in DR and even though 2 thirds of a stop is probably where its at, it definitely appeared perceptually to be around a stop better. 3200ISO in particular looks really useful with not too much noise at all - nothing that NEAT video cant fix. "Indeed, 6400 ISO is pretty darn good" he says.

From the low light tests I've done with the G85 over the past couple of weeks, I'd say there is little difference here. Noise processing may be improved on the GH5, resulting in less softening of detail at higher ISO settings, but it's difficult to tell from this test. Of course, the GH5 was shot in 8-bit 60p, so perhaps there is an improvement in low light at 24p? Anyhow, if I wanted super duper low light, I'd either shoot with a lens faster than f/2.8 or use an APS-C camera. 

19 minutes ago, Brian Caldwell said:

The 0.64x Speed Booster XL and 0.71x Ultra are both designed to cover fullframe 4:3 format (21.6mm diagonal).  As long as you use a master lens with a sufficiently large image circle you wont have vignetting.  24x36mm format lenses will always work.  I expect some issues with certain APS-C lenses.

"certain ..." 

Will my beloved Sigma 18-35 be among them?

I've read somewhere that SB XL's rear element almost touches the GH4's sensor. If it's possible to use it on the GH5 physically remains to be confirmed.

11 minutes ago, Rinad Amir said:

Cant wait to see what ultra sb combine 18-35 1.8 in lowlight 

Or daylight. The right lens is half the battle. Owned three original MFT lenses with GH2. Two of them (Pana, Oly) were directly responsible for a 'videoish' look. The third, the Nokton 25mm, was beautiful for HD, but maybe not sharp enough for UHD. The Sigma would be my first thought.

Because I have a gimbal, I'd need a good lightweight AF lens as well. This might turn out be a hard choice. I didn't follow discussions on MFT lenses for a long time. Need someone to bring me up to date.

4 hours ago, Axel said:

Or daylight. The right lens is half the battle. Owned three original MFT lenses with GH2. Two of them (Pana, Oly) were directly responsible for a 'videoish' look. The third, the Nokton 25mm, was beautiful for HD, but maybe not sharp enough for UHD. The Sigma would be my first thought.

Because I have a gimbal, I'd need a good lightweight AF lens as well. This might turn out be a hard choice. I didn't follow discussions on MFT lenses for a long time. Need someone to bring me up to date.

The Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 has a smidgen less maximum sharpness than the renowned 25mm, but it is still relevant for 4K shooting. It can even be balanced on a pistol grip gimbal, though with a little difficulty. AFC has not worked well with my Panasonics; when using a gimbal, I prefocus and try to maintain the same distance from the subject. The sample video is by no means the sharpest image I've ever recorded - I might even have mis-focused - but I think it shows you can get nice 4K video with the Voigtlanders. In-camera sharpening was turned down to -4. The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is a sharp, featherweight, inexpensive, no-frills AF MFT lens. I realize many prefer to use wide angle lenses with a gimbal, but a longer, faster lens allows you to throw the background out of focus more easily. All the shots were made using the Zhiyun Crane. And here's a charming look at a cafe in Tokyo shot with all four Noktons in 4K, no grading in post.

50 minutes ago, Jn- said:

Hope i'm wrong on this but I think the new Dual IS MK2 only works with new lens announced now.  Even say the 12-35mm f2.8 older version, won't be capable of Dual IS MK 2 with firmware update.  That's why, I think, they brought out newer versions of them ie 12-35mm f2.8 & 35-100mm f2.8, same lens just improved IS compatibility going forward.

That's my understanding as well. Anyhow, I've been shooting Dual IS Mk 1 with the Nocticron and G85, and some think I used a tripod, so I wouldn't sweat it.

A new, more flare-resistant lens coating would be welcome as well. One of the reasons I hardly ever use my 12-35mm f/2.8 any longer is because it doesn't do well against bright light. In fact, LensRentals.com recently posted an article on third party wide angles, and Roger Cicala believes that flare resistance and vignetting might be more important than MTF charts when it comes to wides, which is how I feel after seeing so many of my shots ruined by veiling flare.

15 hours ago, Vesku said:

It should work directly with 10bit HDR TV giving the best HDR video possible with GH5 dynamic range. True HDR is 15 stops or more and GH5 is not capable of that.

I don't understand the point in implementing an HDR mode if it doesn't capture any more than the 12 stops achievable with conventional means. 

3 hours ago, Tzedekh said:

I don't understand the point in implementing an HDR mode if it doesn't capture any more than the 12 stops achievable with conventional means. 

It's not about expanding the camera's DR, it's about delivering more of that DR to the viewer's screen.