Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have loved all the GH series I have owned (going back to the GH-1).
I fail to understand the lack of including V-Log at this price point and place in time on the GH-5,
esp considering the clunky process of mail ordering an unlock code on paper.
The price point now officially markets to Indie / Prosumer crowd.
Not super happy about the firmware path either- but at least there's a plan.
Why can't it just work full specs out of the box?

I'm also disappointed to see there isn't a redesign of the YAGH or expressed compatibility with it.
The XLR cube accessory looks like an even worse design to me. Plugging and Unplugging XLR's- how long
before the hot shoe starts to show signs of stress? At least the YAGH is solid and gives you BNC's too.
Panny gets so many things right and then misses the mark in other ways. Hopefully they are paying more attention now.

Funny, the day of the official GH-5 Specs announcement, I just saw a bunch of used GH-4's pop up on Los Angeles Craigslist.
I'm NOT expecting to sell mine any time soon. Still gets a lot of use... and as Hammond says in the video- prob keep as a backup.
I had my EOS HD hacked GH-2 until this summer when I sold to younger filmmaker.

Thanks again ANDREW for all that you
have done to support this quirky platform.

- MJ

9 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Hardly meaningless.... 10bit 4:2:2 log is capable of capturing the full DR of a sensor, if implemented right.

And that's the rub isn't it? We don't know if it's been implemented right. So we have to test if it is.

For video, who cares if the sensor can do 16 stops in raw stills, if the camera can't get it into a video file?

Thanks jonpais.

Really impressive. Cine-V and Cine-D might be enough. Why V-log if I can't grade anyway?

Like the waveform, like the FN buttons, the battery life, the stabilization, 

Now the whole lenses questions come up again. Which speedboosters work? Will some vignette on the non-crop sensor (or little crop compared to GH4)?

Will 400Mbit be H.265? 

Too much information buried in too many postings. Sigh.

13 minutes ago, Axel said:

Thanks jonpais.

Really impressive. Cine-V and Cine-D might be enough. Why V-log if I can't grade anyway?

Like the waveform, like the FN buttons, the battery life, the stabilization, 

Now the whole lenses questions come up again. Which speedboosters work? Will some vignette on the non-crop sensor (or little crop compared to GH4)?

Will 400Mbit be H.265? 

Too much information buried in too many postings. Sigh.

Saving custom settings to the SD card, being able to name files and folders, Bluetooth, USB-C, three hour battery life, no more crop, possibly one of the best EVFs ever put into a consumer camera... it's hard not to be excited about a camera where the manufacturer is really listening to its customers and implementing all this stuff. Like I said, more than we probably deserve. And yet, I don't use 1/10 of the features I've got on any of my current cameras as it is. 

I am using the GH3 still since the day it was released (and still loving the footage), with a Speed Booster XL and a Sigma 18-35.
The GH3 uses the full sensor for video, just like the GH5 will in both 1080p and 4k modes, and there is some slight vignetting going on at 18 mn.

Now, the GH5 will not have a bigger sensor than the GH3 right? And does the IBIS have any influence on the crop factor / vignetting?

Does anyone know if the GH5 will have more (perceived) dynamic range than the GH3 in video mode? 

GH5 NEW FEATURES! (I have asked most of them for years, thanks Panasonic)

-auto iso in M with EV comp and with auto iso range setting.

-min shutter speed limit.

-iso100 for video!

-folder and file custom naming

-the whole camera status save/load option to SD card (ability to share settings between GH5s)

49 minutes ago, Cas1 said:

if you already have vignetting on the GH3, I expect fast moving vignetting with the IBIS of the GH5 - It would be a feature to offer a variable crop mode on the GH5, to allow IBIS without vignetting.

If the vignetting only shows up at the corners, then it is okay because i can crop it off by adding black bars to the image. I do that usually anyway.

Will IBIS work with non-native lenses also? Because I always shoot with Nikon lenses on a Speed Booster.

2 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

That could be a digital ISO @Vesku ie: ISO 200 pulled one stop. What is the "L." in "L.100" - does that stand for low or something?

Cellulite!

L.100iso mean it is "extended iso" low. Same as in GH4 photo mode. It means GH5 can use extended iso 25600 too for video.

16 minutes ago, Vesku said:

L.100iso mean it is "extended iso" low. Same as in GH4 photo mode. It means GH5 can use extended iso 25600 too for video.

In that case, I wouldn't get too excited as it's the same as shooting at 200 and pulling one stop in post - ie: you lose one stop of highlight headroom in comparison to a theoretical analogue ISO 100.

At 6:00 he mentions a hybrid 4k gamma for HDRTV - I presume this is Rec2020. And just when I'd got my head around Rec709!

And speaking of Rec709:

Untitled_1.jpg

I don't see a huge difference in colour reproduction but maybe it would help in improving Panasonic colours a little?

29 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

In that case, I wouldn't get too excited as it's the same as shooting at 200 and pulling one stop in post - ie: you lose one stop of highlight headroom in comparison to a theoretical analogue ISO 100.

Yep, every ISO setting that deviates from the native sensor sensitivity is the native sensor sensitivity with a gamma correction curve applied and baked into the file. BTW: what is the native ISO of the GH5?

29 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

I don't see a huge difference in colour reproduction but maybe it would help in improving Panasonic colours a little?

The best way to improve colors would be to a- use a good profile b- set an appropriate WB -c record a color chard like the one in your screenshot so that Resolve or Color Finale can use it as a reference to optimize the colors automatically.