Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, dantheman said:

I order a lot from them and they have very good customerservice but it seems that it takes longer to get new Panasonic camera's in stock, I ordered my g80 in October last year and they still have no stock of that camera. Not sure if they will have the same problems getting stock quickly from the GH5.

I preordered my G80 from CVP in October as well but I received it 8th December.

Let's bring up a topic that nobody talked about, are the third party accessories like the Speedbooster, Lens Turbo, Lens Regain work without problem with the GH5? I know, the mount and the foundations did not change, but suspiciously there was nothing about this on the internet. Pre-users, please give us some mind!

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Doesn't the gh4 score 13 stops on dxo?

I'm happy with 12 stops... but maybe it will be a little more.

The 10 bit footage had at least a stop of recovery in the highlights.... maybe we can overexpose?

Just under 13 stops at ISO 100 for print, just over 12 for screen but we often forget that is applying to the sensor and for stills in RAW only.

I would think that video (unless RAW) is mostly going to be less.       GH4 DR drops away fairly steeply as you go up the ISO range (as is the case with most cameras but especially smaller sensor cameras).

The Canon 5Diii that has been mentioned a bit in this thread has about a stop less DR at ISO 100 but has caught up by ISO 400 and is a stop ahead by ISO 3200 (against the GH4).

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GH4-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III___943_795

The latest Canons seem to have been raised their DR at base to the levels of other APSC and FF cameras.

Many cameras don't have the same range of ISOs for video that they do for stills.     My A7s can not go under ISO 100 for video and my GX7 can not go over ISO 3200 for video.

I cant help but thinking the GH5 , for video might look better than its DXO scores would indicate.       GH5 maybe will have a bit better DR and a bit less noise than the GH4 and should be not much different for stills but video, maybe some of its tech will make it better (against others).      

I still think it wont match fairly recent APSC or FF cameras in low light but up to ISO 3200 (maybe 6400) many will prefer it (video anyway) maybe??

32 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

Let's bring up a topic that nobody talked about, are the third party accessories like the Speedbooster, Lens Turbo, Lens Regain work without problem with the GH5? I know, the mount and the foundations did not change, but suspiciously there was nothing about this on the internet. Pre-users, please give us some mind!

I second this id like to know this as well as i got couple arts that am dien to tryout with some 4k love 

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Have you tried CVP?

Thanks Andrew will look in to them 

18 minutes ago, Vesku said:

I wonder why these cameras cant have iso100 for video. It would be good for noise and for keeping shutter speed lower or aperture bigger in daylight. GH5 seems to have starting iso400!!

Are we sure that is not just with LOG?    Maybe in the final camera it will be different.     IF it IS ISO 400 starting for video that would be silly as it would severely limit its day time use.

The A7s has different base ISOs depending on picture profile used EG PP7, base is ISO 3200, PP3 is ISO 200 others ISO 100 (and stills has ISOs 80, 64 and 50 available), surely the GH5 would be similar??

23 hours ago, anchoricex said:

For those of you who dealt with the GH4 preorder: 

I want this camera, have the money for it but don't want to preorder yet (would like to get a new CC and get a min-purchase bonus if I'm going to do this). How long are cameras out of stock for when these things first unroll? If it's anything like a freaking iPhone release then I'll probably just suck it up and preorder now but I'm also weary of being a first adopter, I'd like to see how the camera fares first. Just don't want to be stuck months without a camera when the time comes.

Also going back to my CC bonus minimum purchase thing: I'm assuming B&H doesn't charge your card until the preorders become real orders?

This I am interested in as well. I don't want to jump on the preorder if I can safely buy it later, after deciding if I want to got with the PL 12-60 or maybe XLR box bundle.

Not in a huge hurry to get it either but if it really takes like months of wait until the preorders are satisfied, I might as well jump in the queue.

7 hours ago, Eduardo Portas said:

It has already been provided in this thread, Fritz. Check out the DigirectTV video. I'm referring to that.

Also, the Panasonic ambassador video of Griffith Hammond shows significant skew when panning.

Hey E. I lived the video transition from tape then to digital tape and then to digital cards, so I became accustomed to having very little RS and jello effect in my work.

And yes, this was back in the CCD era. In the last decade resolution has improved exponentially at the expense of RS and jello. 

Guess it's and either/or proposition.

Unless I leave the camera static on a tripod, skew and jello affect every kind of shooting I do. It's not aesthetic and I detest it. 

But deep down I'm an optimist. I'll just have to wait a bit more until a camera maker solves that problem and gives us both a moderate price.

Cheers from Latin America :)

If you're referring to the Digidirect video, then we clearly disagree. The effects of rolling shutter look worse the faster the camera moves and the closer you are to an object. In that video, the camera was moving so fast that virtually everything was indistinguishable. Cameras aren't usually moved that rapidly in rolling shutter tests.

Usually, you like to see more controlled tests with two cameras side by side, because it's hard to judge it accurately without a comparison camera. But, the truth is, that actually looked pretty good to me. I'm not convinced the E-M1 II is any better than this.

Also, there are other things that affect the appearance of rolling shutter including the sensor area used for video. I know rolling shutter in stills is worse the higher the bit depth is. That's why some MFT cameras reduce the bit depth in stills from 12 to 10 bits when e-shutter is used, to reduce the jello appearance. I'm not sure in what way this applies to video though.

Okay, I'm serious about upgrading my BMPCC because of FPS. But am I going to feel sorry over a camera like this with no RAW? I've been shooting with the Ursa Mini 4K and love it but saving up for all the add ons for the Ursa is just months and months away from me. Does the DSLR market really put up a fight against Blackmagic today?

13 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Doesn't the gh4 score 13 stops on dxo?

I'm happy with 12 stops... but maybe it will be a little more.

The 10 bit footage had at least a stop of recovery in the highlights.... maybe we can overexpose?

Not even close..... BlackMagic cameras are 11.5-12 useable , so I would rate the GH4 at least 2 stops or more under....

12 hours ago, Vesku said:

I wonder why these cameras cant have iso100 for video. It would be good for noise and for keeping shutter speed lower or aperture bigger in daylight. GH5 seems to have starting iso400!!

Iso 100 has nothing to do with noise....... Noise comes from a camera sensor being starved of "light"........ You can shoot at 3200+ iso and if your sensor has light it will look better than shooting at 100 iso in the dark.........

So to clarify a camera with an HIGHER iso rating is actually much better in regards to sensitivity of light than one rated lower..... Iso 400 is much better than iso 100....

Okay, I'm serious about upgrading my BMPCC because of FPS. But am I going to feel sorry over a camera like this with no RAW? I've been shooting with the Ursa Mini 4K and love it but saving up for all the add ons for the Ursa is just months and months away from me. Does the DSLR market really put up a fight against Blackmagic today?

Two totally different tools..... GH5 is a Hybrid Camera, all in one.

BlackMagic cameras are geared towards "production" and require a workflow from shooting to post processing. In my honest opinion all cameras have their +/- and should be tailored for their specific needs. There's NO one camera that does it all........

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Thanks for being sexist and ignoring Marika. 

That would explain it.

Panasonic think I am a girl!

Maybe I need to shoot my parkour and dogs before EOSHD can get a pre-production unit.

Remember when they gave me a GH3... and a GH4... and invited me to feedback sessions... This time - nada.

Maybe it was the Panasonic CM1 smartphone review?!

4 hours ago, j.f.r. said:

Iso 100 has nothing to do with noise....... Noise comes from a camera sensor being starved of "light"........ You can shoot at 3200+ iso and if your sensor has light it will look better than shooting at 100 iso in the dark.........

So to clarify a camera with an HIGHER iso rating is actually much better in regards to sensitivity of light than one rated lower..... Iso 400 is much better than iso 100....

With iso100 and right exposure the camera gets more light to sensor than with higher isos.

When you rise iso the NR starts to soften details. In GH4 even iso400 is softer than iso200.

GH5 has iso200, not starting at iso400.

GH5 also does not show exposure info when using auto exposure. Nick Driftwood said that in a GH5 chat. I hope they will fix it for final FW.

GH5 has auto iso in M with EV comp but it wont show what iso it is using. Weird?

GH5 will show exposure info  in 5.2k video. Makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

That would explain it.

Panasonic think I am a girl!

Maybe I need to shoot my parkour and dogs before EOSHD can get a pre-production unit.

Remember when they gave me a GH3... and a GH4... and invited me to feedback sessions... This time - nada.

Maybe it was the Panasonic CM1 smartphone review?!

Possibly concerned that you would have been a bit too honest with post film observations and commentary.