Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, EspenB said:

Finally here is the proof. I took the E-M1 Mk II sensor and superimposed it on top of the GH5. Marked the Oly sensor with red line for extra clarity.

GH5 sensor is 1,42:1 ratio. Same as the old GH2.

However, it's only utilized in C4K mode according to Driftwood.

ZYFRONT-LG.JPG

Sorry I fucked up on that picture. Ignore it.

21 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The 5D mk3 is fairly outdated, remember the old Nikon D5200 which was APS-C and nearly caught up to the 5D mk3? As Andrew Reid showed. 

Well MFT is not that far behind APS-C performance (and basically more or less no difference at all once you factor in a focal reducer). Thus it wouldn't surprise me to see the GH5 approach the level of many current APS-C cameras. 

Canon's sensors have weaknesses in low ISO dynamic range and read noise - these the former doesn't affect low-light as much, which is why a 5D3 still looks good at ISO 1600 and above. In the end you're still collecting 2 stops worth of light more than a 4/3 sensor.

And the current APS-C cameras? They all have similar tech (Sony or Sony-derived), so there's little to separate them... except for the sensor size.

4 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

Finally, a business that ships to whole EU, thanks Andrew!

I order a lot from them and they have very good customerservice but it seems that it takes longer to get new Panasonic camera's in stock, I ordered my g80 in October last year and they still have no stock of that camera. Not sure if they will have the same problems getting stock quickly from the GH5.

10 hours ago, Eduardo Portas said:

That jello effect is terrible. For me, it's a deal breaker.

Can you please provide the clip showing what you keep referring to...If I'm not mistaken, not a single other person has mentioned RS on the GH5....maybe I'm missing something or are you trolling?

11 minutes ago, dantheman said:

I order a lot from them and they have very good customerservice but it seems that it takes longer to get new Panasonic camera's in stock, I ordered my g80 in October last year and they still have no stock of that camera. Not sure if they will have the same problems getting stock quickly from the GH5.

Damn. I just placed my order. I truly hope that they learned from that experience...

1 minute ago, funkyou86 said:

Damn. I just placed my order. I truly hope that they learned from that experience...

End last year they told me Panasonic where out of stock of the g80 and they didn't have a lead time, then later it was a manufacturing delay with the lenses, so I"m still patiently waiting.

19 hours ago, veraguth said:

I think a Super 16 mm crop mode (around 3x) yielding approximately 5ms read-out speed (same as film) would be a good addition as a firmware update and it could possible as the full sensor read-out speed is claimed to be 15ms. Please Panasonic do that. 

Would be nice. We've reached a plateau in resolution, very hard to tell the difference between sensors.

But rolling shutter and jello effect is still ugly.

Pre-order placed for two units with them (CVP).

35 minutes ago, Eduardo Portas said:

But rolling shutter and jello effect is still ugly.

You have two possible routes: global shutter or start to deal and take profit of that. Shooting style will say thank you ; )

OK, joke aside, what the hell of shooting are you doing in order to take such minimal rolling shutter so intrusive? : )

Funny stuff... I still remember when people were used to praise the cinematic properties of CMOS sensors against the old CCD technology tagged as videoish : P

Saudações lusófonas,

E :-)

1 hour ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Can you please provide the clip showing what you keep referring to...If I'm not mistaken, not a single other person has mentioned RS on the GH5....maybe I'm missing something or are you trolling?

It has already been provided in this thread, Fritz. Check out the DigirectTV video. I'm referring to that.

Also, the Panasonic ambassador video of Griffith Hammond shows significant skew when panning.

41 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Saudações lusófonas,

E :-)

Hey E. I lived the video transition from tape then to digital tape and then to digital cards, so I became accustomed to having very little RS and jello effect in my work.

And yes, this was back in the CCD era. In the last decade resolution has improved exponentially at the expense of RS and jello. 

Guess it's and either/or proposition.

Unless I leave the camera static on a tripod, skew and jello affect every kind of shooting I do. It's not aesthetic and I detest it. 

But deep down I'm an optimist. I'll just have to wait a bit more until a camera maker solves that problem and gives us both a moderate price.

Cheers from Latin America :)

10 minutes ago, Eduardo Portas said:

I'll take noticeable improvements in reduction of RS and jello any day over improvements in resolution and detail.

No prob though, I'm a patient man.

Eduardo, parece que você está no radar da Kinefinity... / seems you are going towards to Terra 5K... pretty promising BTW (Emanuel :-)

Every tech advance we've seen through the last 8 years has pushed the m43 crowd to a point where it will never be happy. I say this because we continue to see comments about price, too much of a video-E look, jello / jitter, IBIS looks off, and so on. Still some how these things wind up back ordered for months beyond release, you guys must be buying them. :glasses:

If a manufacturer ever made the "perfect" camera, whatever that would be??? people would still complain about the price in the end. No camera manufacturer could ever deliver such, because it would be different for every user... wants/needs are subjective, Panasonic cant deliver that. I've seen the "just give me this or that in a camera" post since 2010, and the more they advance, the more people continue to demand, while waiting for the next new camera announcement.

The industry still considers these GH cameras consumer market items, and based on that alone, Panasonic has provided a lot throughout the years. You still have to understand Panasonic is a business just like Canon, and they all will move as such.