Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, bradm said:

The GH5 does full sensor readout to produce cropless 4K and it has inbody stabilization so it needs extra sensor space around the edges of the central part of the imaging area to cope with the movement of the sensor while keeping the image area serviced with photo receptors and not crop off the edge of the image

Uh, if it did what you proposed, it wouldn't stabiize the image at all. It would be counteracting the IBIS (the sensor moving) with EIS (a moving active crop of the sensor), for a net result of zero stabilization.

My guess as to why Panasonic hasn't gone back to MAR sensors is because they (supposedly) haven't made their own sensors since the GH2, they've (supposedly) been buying them from Sony. And buying from Sony probably comes with all kinds of strings attached, so maybe Sony simply restricts them to the standard m4/3 size. Or Sony just doesn't want to make new, custom tooling/dies/etc to make an oddball sensor size for only Panasonic, when the rest of their m4/3 customers want the standard size that they're already set up for. And either Panasonic doesn't want to pay for APS-C sensors, or doesn't want the marketing confusion, or Sony won't sell them to them.

I was seriously considering selling my m43 gear and investing full into APS-C / FF. The recent releases (EM1II, Pen-F, GH5, G85) made me change my mind. Now I'm more considering shelling off my 80D and going full into m43. I'm excited to see some reviews once it starts shipping. I could definitely see myself getting one!

30 minutes ago, dvcrn said:

I was seriously considering selling my m43 gear and investing full into APS-C / FF. The recent releases (EM1II, Pen-F, GH5, G85) made me change my mind. Now I'm more considering shelling off my 80D and going full into m43. I'm excited to see some reviews once it starts shipping. I could definitely see myself getting one!

Why not keep 80D as B cam? Thats my plan anyway since its has the best PDAF plus i got sigma glass that matches it perfect tasty 18-35&50-100 1.8 cant beat that combo with 80D?✌️️

12 hours ago, Francesco Spiezia said:

Any word on low light performance compared to the GH4 .. I know it is early in the game. Im a Canon guy so its an important benchmark 

My money is on the GH5 being better than a Canon 5D mk3 in lowlight. 

People for ages loved the lowlight capabilities of the Canon 5D mk3 and raved on about how important a so called "full frame" sensor is for that "lowlight ability". And the Panasonic GH5 will exceed that. It is the natural result of the forward march of technological progress.

Hopefully time will tell that Panasonic & Olympus made the smart move, with technology catching up to "full frame" level performance then everyone who wants a compact or lightweight system will go with Micro Four Thirds.

While those who want the "ultimate" will go with digital medium format instead such as Pentax 645Z or the new FujiFilm mirrorless medium format camera. (Especially as the relentless forward march of progress while within a few short years make digital medium format cheaper and cheaper, until even semi serious hobbyists will find it affordable at a stretch) 

6K PHOTO: MP4 (H.265/HEVC, Audio format: AAC (2ch))
4K PHOTO: MP4 (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Audio format: AAC (2ch))

MOTION PICTURE

MOV: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC (Audio format: LPCM (2ch 48kHz/16-bit, 48kHz/24-bit*, 96kHz/24-bit*))  *When attaching DMW-XLR1 (sold separately).
MP4: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
AVCHD Progressive, AVCHD (Audio format: Dolby Audio 2ch)

So, 400mbit/s will be .h264

http://www.43rumors.com/download-the-official-gh5-leaflet-and-specs-list/

42 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

People for ages loved the lowlight capabilities of the Canon 5D mk3 and raved on about how important a so called "full frame" sensor is for that "lowlight ability". And the Panasonic GH5 will exceed that. It is the natural result of the forward march of technological progress.

Hopefully time will tell that Panasonic & Olympus made the smart move, with technology catching up to "full frame" level performance then everyone who wants a compact or lightweight system will go with Micro Four Thirds.

While those who want the "ultimate" will go with digital medium format instead such as Pentax 645Z or the new FujiFilm mirrorless medium format camera. (Especially as the relentless forward march of progress while within a few short years make digital medium format cheaper and cheaper, until even semi serious hobbyists will find it affordable at a stretch) 

I love my Micro 4/3s cameras, and in general anyone belly aching about "needing" full-frame to take better photos or videos really needs to look at themselves...

However from a pure technical perspective I can't see that happening, even if you include things like a focal reducer. Ultimately the sensor in the 5D is 4x the size and it's not that terribly outdated.

As for the GH5 itself, I'm in trouble. It looks like I need to find US$2000 by this summer!

6 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Kind wish their audio would allow 4 channels... stereo through the 3.5mm jack + 2x XLR inputs over the hotshoe. 

Would be handy indeed for sit down interviews with multiple people, and other scenarios. 

Yep, that would give sense. A TASCAM DR40 mounted to my camera already gives me that, so why should I/we "upgrade"?

6 hours ago, bradm said:

Larger, oversized sensor is not an unreasonable thing to have in place. I don't think it is for marketing photos

The GH5 does full sensor readout to produce cropless 4K and it has inbody stabilization so it needs extra sensor space around the edges of the central part of the imaging area to cope with the movement of the sensor while keeping the image area serviced with photo receptors and not crop off the edge of the image

The multi aspects sensor is not required, especially if it is larger than than he mount. There is a multi aspect layout with no crop in video and, since it's predominantly a video camera, it solves the MAR demand. I think it is reasonable considering than he hay IBIS and Sensor Costs have been dealt with by this. 

I just wanted to chime in with a more detailed explanation of the 6K photo mode, which can also be used for 5K video (with 1:1 pixels).

There is unequivocally no upscaling or downscaling in this mode. And if you shoot 5K video in this mode, you have extra pixels on the vertical to allow you to decide precisely where you want to crop out the 5K video. And you can also use the extra pixels to do some image stabilization in post, and still retain 5K video quality.

https://***URL removed***/forums/post/58907335

https://***URL removed***/forums/post/58907720

https://***URL removed***/forums/post/58644769

https://***URL removed***/forums/post/58646338

https://***URL removed***/forums/post/58646032

https://***URL removed***/forums/post/58650895

https://***URL removed***/forums/post/58817553

The other day, I posted about having reasonable expectations (to the effect that we shouldn't expect more than 12 stops dynamic range, not to expect AFC to rival that of Canon, that Panasonic's color science would not change significantly...), which upset a few forum members; then, I watch the truly excellent digidirect presentation and am completely blown away, not only the features, but by the truly good sample videos (slo mo, rack focusing, etc.); then, nothing but bitching and moaning from everyone about jello, waiting for future firmware updates and so on; I just don't get it. This is quite simply the most complete package, with the greatest number of upgrades I've ever seen to an already good system - yet even now, some say they are going to wait for Sony to deliver the holy grail? Am I missing something here? The GH5 is the cat's meow!

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The 5d 3 in RAW is a BEAST in low light too. I need more capitalization than my keyboard can give me, that's how much of a BEAST it is ;) 

If that thing does better (not the noise reductioned blurrs the sony fullframes give out) then I will eat my shorts and pants and hat.