Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Any word on improved dynamic range or are we still looking at "12 stops" like the GH4?

Any info on color profiles? Are they opening up the system or pretty much stuck with the same picture profiles as GH4?

Not a fan of announcing the firmware rollout schedule, that's a lot of promises to keep and seems a little deceptive to announce so many additional features "coming at a later date"

Thanks, checked it out. Sadly RS is still quite notorious. 

Guess I'll keep browsing until good yet old-ass CCD videocams drop a bit more in price.

1 hour ago, Don Kotlos said:

Its definitely an improvement but not as good as the E-M1ii and really far away from a global sensor...

Ouch, I just saw them. I expected a lot less jello effect and RS, honestly. Guess I'll keep searching.

1 minute ago, agachart said:

Oversize sensor on picture does mean it has 6000 pixel on width?
it made 6K photo @6000x3000 !

but as 4:3 still image unused 100% width aspect.

i guess.  

6000x3000 was just a marketing trick. It only means that 6k photo is about 18Mpixel with different aspect ratios. It is actually 4.5k - 5.2k

3 hours ago, premini said:

So this and a speedbooster xl is an 1.3x crop with 10 bit video and no rolling shutter....

Impressive.

Hope they provide VLOG , paid or not

correct me if im wrong but doesnt the 4k on the gh5 now use the entire sensor (the gh4 was 2.3x) thus negating the need for the speedbooster xl? Unless of course you like the oddball spot of 1.3x crop? 1.5x with the speedbooster ultra seems to be a better fit for super35mm/aps-c reference

When compared to FF video (16x9 cut of a 24X36mm sensor), the GH5 with the XL booster would be a 1.33x crop, and with the Ultra booster it'd be 1.47x.

Remember that the XL is less uniform in sharpness across the frame- it is a little sharper than the Ultra in the middle, but softer outside of that. The Ultra is more consistent.

Also remember that with the sensor moving due to IBIS, you end up effectively using a larger image circle than without IBIS. So even if IBIS only moves the sensor a mm in each direction,  your 13x19mm sensor now needs an image circle that can cover 15x21mm.

So APS-C lenses with small image circles, like the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, which barely cover the sensor with the XL booster, may now go soft or dark in the corners as IBIS shifts the sensor. Or worse yet, you may have the actual edge of the image circle show up as black corners.

This is why I think it's safer to go with the Ultra booster for the GH5.

27 minutes ago, aldolega said:

When compared to FF video (16x9 cut of a 24X36mm sensor), the GH5 with the XL booster would be a 1.33x crop, and with the Ultra booster it'd be 1.47x.

Remember that the XL is less uniform in sharpness across the frame- it is a little sharper than the Ultra in the middle, but softer outside of that. The Ultra is more consistent.

Also remember that with the sensor moving due to IBIS, you end up effectively using a larger image circle than without IBIS. So even if IBIS only moves the sensor a mm in each direction,  your 13x19mm sensor now needs an image circle that can cover 15x21mm.

So APS-C lenses with small image circles, like the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, which barely cover the sensor with the XL booster, may now go soft or dark in the corners as IBIS shifts the sensor. Or worse yet, you may have the actual edge of the image circle show up as black corners.

This is why I think it's safer to go with the Ultra booster for the GH5.

Thats what I figured, Ultra it is for this camera. I think the XL was Metabones' response to the gh4 doing 2.3x crop in 4k. With the gh5 that's no longer an issue. 

For the multi-aspect ratio discussion, it doesn't look like one at all. Everything looks like standard Micro4/3 sensor, I think that ship has sailed.

As for the 400Mbps All-I comment I made before. Two of the guys that shot the GH5 promo videos replied back saying that although there is nothing official, they think that the 400Mbps All-I is indeed H.265 and NOT H.264. Nick Driftwood also replied back since I tried to confirm what he said during the Live Q&A and he said "it would HAVE to be h265 I believe :-) dont you?!".

When I wrote about wanting H.265 as an additional option I thought Panasonic wasn't really bold enough to pull it off but since the GH5 already have the HEVC encoders and these guys think the firmware update will bring H.265 400Mbps All-I, although there is nothing official about it, I don't doubt it will be indeed HEVC.

Larger, oversized sensor is not an unreasonable thing to have in place. I don't think it is for marketing photos

The GH5 does full sensor readout to produce cropless 4K and it has inbody stabilization so it needs extra sensor space around the edges of the central part of the imaging area to cope with the movement of the sensor while keeping the image area serviced with photo receptors and not crop off the edge of the image