Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, premini said:

So this and a speedbooster xl is an 1.3x crop with 10 bit video and no rolling shutter....

Impressive.

Hope they provide VLOG , paid or not

I just saw this on Cinema5d

GH5 Firmware Upgrade Path:

4:2:2 10bit – Available April, 2017
6K/24p Anamorphic Video Mode (4:3) – Available Summer, 2017
(200 Mbps) FHD 4:2:2 10bit ALL-Intra – Available Summer, 2017
(400Mbps) 4K 4:2:2 10bit ALL-Intra – Available, Summer 2017

V-Log Color Profile  – Available at launch, Cost: $100

44 minutes ago, Stronz Vanderploeg said:

Paid V-Log upgrade?! Seriously Panasonic? 

It was a paid upgrade before so it's nothing new, sony charges 500dollar for a 4K upgrade on their x70. Panasonic has always released their camera's at a very competitive pricepoint and cheaper then the competition so even with the VLOG upgrade it's still very good value for money, also, not everyone needs or wants VLOG and for those who do it's 100 dollar which is peanuts.

2 minutes ago, dantheman said:

It was a paid upgrade before so it's nothing new, sony charges 500dollar for a 4K upgrade on their x70. Panasonic has always released their camera's at a very competitive pricepoint and cheaper then the competition, also, not everyone needs or wants VLOG and for those who do it's 100 dollar which is peanuts.

What I think is unfair is the fact that GH4 users that already paid for VLOG need to pay again if they want it on GH5. Panasonic should at least  provide a reduced "upgrade" price.

52 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

The reason for the delay is they are going to use the new H265 codec!!!

Here is from newsshooter:

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 12.59.48 PM.png

I don't see anything mentioning H.265 there. Just plain MP4.

What I see is:

* We still can't record DCI 4K in 25p or 30p (to have some horizontal wiggle room when delivering UHD)

* We still can't record anything internally when outputting 10Bit on the HDMI port. This likely also means still no Wifi remote control and likely no scopes when recording externally. (The missing Wifi really hurts.)

* All the nicer bitrates are for bandwidth-hungry All-I MP4 and regular IPB that makes efficient use of that bandwidth is crippled to 100/150Mbps. No ProRes or DNxHD that can be edited without transcoding unless you add a Shogun or Ninja Flame.

* no build in flash to carry it around and a "small" photo camera all these OTHER times.

On the plus side:

* screw-in HDMI cable holder is included

* better denoise and anti-rolling shutter by processing previous frames

* IBIS

* program 3 focus point and have smooth transitions in 5 speeds.

* more slow motion options

11 minutes ago, marcuswolschon said:

I don't see anything mentioning H.265 there. Just plain MP4.

You have to watch the interview at newsshooter for that. 

* We still can't record anything internally when outputting 10Bit on the HDMI port. 

If you watch the interview, you will see that this can be done. 

* All the nicer bitrates are for bandwidth-hungry All-I MP4 and regular IPB that makes efficient use of that bandwidth is crippled to 100/150Mbps. No ProRes or DNxHD that can be edited without transcoding unless you add a Shogun or Ninja Flame.

Did you miss the 400mbps that is coming in summer ? Its going to be close to the quality of either ProResHQ or DNxHR. 

* no build in flash to carry it around and a "small" photo camera all these OTHER times.

On the contrary, I am glad that they removed it. Camera looks better, and on board flash gives poor results anyways. Its only useful with Nikon bodies that can act as a wireless trigger.