2017/current 8TB+ raid options ?

timepresent

Hey  all,

What are you using for editing larger projects?

I've been using a Samsung 2TB SSD pro for projects, but it is too small for a current project, for which I need at least 8TB.

Has anyone used the G-technology thunderbolt2 raids?

http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid-thunderbolt-2
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1123837-REG/g_technology_0g04085_g_raid_thunderbolt_2_usb_3_0.html

Says it will support compressed 4k at up to 480 MB/s which seems quite good for just a 2 drive solution. (most 4-bay options seem )

The portability is a huge plus for me as I have to move around a lot.

There doesn't seem to be anything faster for the price. To get 8TB w/ SSDs w/ the better random I/Os is going to be triple the price and totally out of budget. But maybe I am missing something?

No experience with RAID drives -- how much slow down will I see as the 8TB fills up? Better to go for 12 so there's headroom?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

How fast storage you need really depends on the type of files. In most cases  >300MB/s is enough for the project media. For best performance media cache & scratch files should be in a separate (from OS) very fast drive. Don't waste your money on raiding SSDs for project media files. 

For a 2 drive solution with spinning drives to give you that kind of speed you will need to use RAID 0 in which case this is a TEMPORARY storage. You will need to have these files in another place at all times. 

RAID 6/10 can give you that kind of performance with redundancy but you will need at least a 4 drive bay. And yes, performance drops as these drives are filled up so if your media files are 8TB plan to have at least 10TB. 

See here for some drive optimizations for Premiere (which can easily be extended for other NLEs):

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-4-Storage-Optimization-854/

Its very detailed and you will need to look at RAW benchmark results as well. 

Backup isn't the concern/question. I already do backup best practices. I want the RAID for speed but don't want to lose an arm and a leg (so RAID 0 is fine/preferred to keep cost and size down).

I will use the 2TB Samsung pro SSD and another 1TB SSD for scratch / renders, so yes the RAID is for the project media files

There's a cheaper old Thunderbolt G-tech RAID that can do 320 MB/s but I am wondering if there's a big performance increase for editing when moving to the newer / enterprise drives that do 440-480 MB/s?

So was hoping to hear from anyone who uses these G-tech Thunderbolt 2 drives, or another similar 2 bay mechanical drive solution?