GH4/G80 user long term experience

mattpitts74

Hi All, 

I'm after some real world users experience of either the GH4 or G80 camera's?  it seems really hard to find that kind of info on YouTube etc. There are loads of review from people how seem to borrow the camera for a couple of weeks and then do a review!  

I have several video projects coming up in the next month and I'm considering my options for low budget camera's. I currently use a Canon 5D3, which is a great stills camera, but I find it hard work in a run and gun video situation, although I have used it many times.  So I'm considering the Panasonic options.   My budget could just about stretch to a GH4, but I'm looking at the IBIS and the weather sealing and thinking the G80 may be enough for me needs, but I wonder how either of these cameras will handle compared to the Canon?  I'm hoping easier to a lone shooter?

I'm aware of all the compromises between these camera's for me its more about ease of use and handling and I get the impression these cameras have many more video features which make using them more straight forward.  But I would appreciate some input from actual GH4/ G80 users. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, mattpitts74 said:

Hi All, 

I'm after some real world users experience of either the GH4 or G80 camera's?  it seems really hard to find that kind of info on YouTube etc. There are loads of review from people how seem to borrow the camera for a couple of weeks and then do a review!  

I have several video projects coming up in the next month and I'm considering my options for low budget camera's. I currently use a Canon 5D3, which is a great stills camera, but I find it hard work in a run and gun video situation, although I have used it many times.  So I'm considering the Panasonic options.   My budget could just about stretch to a GH4, but I'm looking at the IBIS and the weather sealing and thinking the G80 may be enough for me needs, but I wonder how either of these cameras will handle compared to the Canon?  I'm hoping easier to a lone shooter?

I'm aware of all the compromises between these camera's for me its more about ease of use and handling and I get the impression these cameras have many more video features which make using them more straight forward.  But I would appreciate some input from actual GH4/ G80 users. 

Hey Matt!

Andrew wrote some very specific reviews on both cameras, check out the eoshd blog. What kind of projects are going do shoot? Do you need weather sealing? Do you need lowlight capabilities? Do you have fast lenses? Do you need slow mo? do you really need IBIS?

Some pros of the GH4: you can shoot up to 200Mbit/s in 1080p which I think still keeps up in the competition. It does slow mo. Great handlng.
Some cons of the GH4: do not use ISO above 1600, no ibis, color is better on the G80, but you can still fix it in post.

The G80 looks great but keep in mind that the 1080p bitrate is very low! So if you're doing 4K, it's great. Also no options for slow mo. Andrew tests showed that it's cleaner in higher ISOs than the GH4.

Good luck finding the camera that fit your needs :)

Been using the GH4 for 2 years of freelance now, gh2 for one before that. I'm working as a 1 man crew, often run and gun is how I shoot. In terms of what the gh4 makes "easy", I'd say:

1. Battery. Solid, with a couple backups you are so covered in terms of power its just not as issue anymore. 

2. Control access. Now I know I am used to it but I have found the gh4 (and the gh2 when I use it) to be easy to manipulate. ISO and white balance are easy to get at with their own buttons. At the start of every shoot I create my c1 and c2 profiles. Example: I was filming in a motorcycle shop. I knew I wanted slo-mo for various things (cutting, grinding, power hammer). First thing I do in the shop is check WB, set my exposure on my c1 profile. I then go into the menu and choose the variable frame rate option, set it to the desired rate, compensate for the higher shutter, and set that to c2. Now I can flick between the two settings and never dive in a menu. Moto builder starts to grind something, c2, get the slo-mo shot. c1 for my real time wide. It's quick. This is something any cam with custom profiles can do, for me it's how I use the gh4's variable frame rate. In-camera slo-mo whenever you want it is AWESOME.

Other than that it's mostly up to how you shoot as to what will be easy. The gh4 handles well, it's a good size, its easy to manipulate the controls. The body has a mic input and an audio out so you can monitor what it's getting, which is also great. Lately I've been using a zoom h1 as a plant mic or with a lav on someone in combination with a shotgun on the cam. It's light, small.. the kit packs up nice. I don't know if the GH4 is "weather sealed". I have shot in the rain with it. I did everything I possibly could to keep it dry, but I noticed no problems. I've enjoyed this little cam a lot. I use a sigma 18-35 and a nikon 50 1.4 on a speed booster 90% of the time. Highly recommend a speed booster w/ m43. An extra stop of light is just great to have and helps stretch the iso limit. So yeah, this little tank has served me well!

4 hours ago, freeman said:

Been using the GH4 for 2 years of freelance now, gh2 for one before that. I'm working as a 1 man crew, often run and gun is how I shoot. In terms of what the gh4 makes "easy", I'd say:

1. Battery. Solid, with a couple backups you are so covered in terms of power its just not as issue anymore. 

2. Control access. Now I know I am used to it but I have found the gh4 (and the gh2 when I use it) to be easy to manipulate. ISO and white balance are easy to get at with their own buttons. At the start of every shoot I create my c1 and c2 profiles. Example: I was filming in a motorcycle shop. I knew I wanted slo-mo for various things (cutting, grinding, power hammer). First thing I do in the shop is check WB, set my exposure on my c1 profile. I then go into the menu and choose the variable frame rate option, set it to the desired rate, compensate for the higher shutter, and set that to c2. Now I can flick between the two settings and never dive in a menu. Moto builder starts to grind something, c2, get the slo-mo shot. c1 for my real time wide. It's quick. This is something any cam with custom profiles can do, for me it's how I use the gh4's variable frame rate. In-camera slo-mo whenever you want it is AWESOME.

Other than that it's mostly up to how you shoot as to what will be easy. The gh4 handles well, it's a good size, its easy to manipulate the controls. The body has a mic input and an audio out so you can monitor what it's getting, which is also great. Lately I've been using a zoom h1 as a plant mic or with a lav on someone in combination with a shotgun on the cam. It's light, small.. the kit packs up nice. I don't know if the GH4 is "weather sealed". I have shot in the rain with it. I did everything I possibly could to keep it dry, but I noticed no problems. I've enjoyed this little cam a lot. I use a sigma 18-35 and a nikon 50 1.4 on a speed booster 90% of the time. Highly recommend a speed booster w/ m43. An extra stop of light is just great to have and helps stretch the iso limit. So yeah, this little tank has served me well!

Trying not to go too off topic, but how did the GH2 24 fps1080p, hold up against GH4 1080p. To my eyes (via youtube) the GH3 1080p didn't seem to be much of an improvement ( if any ).

You probably didn't try it, but curious to know what GH4 720p is like. Patched up GH2 720p is still punching above its weight I reckon. Cheers.

5 hours ago, mattpitts74 said:

Hi All, 

The G85 has less noise than the GH4, images are cleaner. Skin tones are still unmistakably Panasonic, but improved over the aging GH4. I struggled for years to get good color from my many Panasonic cameras, the G85 looks from my first outing like it will be significantly easier to get WB correct. In fact, the best colors I've seen with the GH4 have been with V-log, but why should I go through that hassle? User interface: menus are pretty much the same - if you've ever handled Panasonic cameras before, the menu will be familiar, and is a breeze to navigate. Ergonomics: the G85 is more compact, but has a nice grip; it is very solid feeling; the layout and feel of the dials, buttons and wheels is improved; Panasonic may not make very pretty cameras, but they're reliable. Battery life: one battery with the G85 lasted me an entire morning of shooting. The EVF is gorgeous, especially coming from the GH4 - it's large and bright, and it is possible to see the entire frame with glasses on. GH4 EVF - not so wonderful. Stabilization - with the G85, you can just pick the camera up and begin shooting without a rig, impossible for me to do with the GH4. Files: the G85 shoots MP4, the GH4 shoots MOV. No difference when importing to Final Cut, you can import and begin editing immediately, or transcode if you like. From all the stuff I'd seen and read here in the forums, I really half-expected the images from the G85 to be grossly over-sharpened, with hideously aggressive noise reduction, clipped highlights and crushed blacks. In fact, if that turned out to be the case, I was even prepared to sell off all my u43 lenses and cameras and stick with my Fuji X-T2. Thankfully, that wasn't the case, and I plan to use both systems. If cost is a factor, B&H is selling an open box G80 for $780.00 USD. 

Thanks guys for your input, I tend to be always working on my own, trying to capture things quickly, at events or local businesses, sometimes for social media and Youtube, but there's never much time to setup shoots, so I'm always trying to capture someone doing something with minimum fuss, I plan to shoot in 4K and downscale to 1080 and like the idea of having the option to crop and get another shoot and being able to grade better than with my previous Canon camera's.  I still have full frame in case I need something for low light.  I'm guessing the panasonic will not match very well with a canon?  I used a GH2 several years ago and I have used some of the more recent GX camera's and they seem to have much more video centric features.  I have also used the Sony A6000 from time to time, but find it rather small and menus are fiddly. I also have a couple of old canon FD lens, but I'm wondering which would be the best general purpose video lens.  Many people seem to rate the 12-34mm? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.     

1 hour ago, mattpitts74 said:

I'm guessing the panasonic will not match very well with a canon?  

Get the EOSHD C-log for your canon, than you can shoot any picture profile with the Pana camera, you'll still have the options to match colors. Or test the Picture Profiles on both cameras and try to find to most similar. The differences between standard picture profiles should not be very different, they tend to look like rec709, but with the curves can fix anything in post :)

I had a video where we needed to cut in some cannon 5dmkii footage w/ a gh4  and they did look different, however myself and the other cinematographer did no profile matching or testing. I think you could get them to cut well with each other but you'll probably need to find similar picture profiles is funky said. 

Also jonpais brings up a good point on IS, if you have it in cam or in lens it's definitely nice, can make a no rig setup surprisingly steady. I've gotten used to handheld shooting with a rig at this point but when I do have the opportunity to use an IS body.. it's pretty great. That being said sometimes is does look kind of funky when it's trying to smooth out your movements. 

PS stanley you were asking how the gh4 and 2 cut together, they did well provided there was enough light. In low light the 2 looked a lot softer and got grainy faster. 

6 hours ago, freeman said:

PS stanley you were asking how the gh4 and 2 cut together, they did well provided there was enough light. In low light the 2 looked a lot softer and got grainy faster. 

Cheers mate, that's good news thanks. I reckon I'll look at GH3/4, and most of my shooting is done in good light. 

Thanks guys for your input, I've gone ahead and ordered a G80 body only, which arrived this afternoon, so I haven't had much time with it yet but first impressions are good, it feels so light compared to my 5D.  Almost worryingly so, but I'm sure it's strong enough. 

I have a couple if old FD lens kicking around so been having a play with them.  I must say the IS seems pretty impressive, which will be great for hand held.  I did find the buttons on the back alittle cramped, especially where compared to the 5D.  Hopefully muscle memory will kick in after a while. 

One thing I'd forgotten was no headphone for monitoring audio, which is a bit of a pain!  I find doing duel sync audio on your own is quite a faff! 

Also trying to get to grips with quickest way to punch in to check focus? Seems a bit fiddly in default setup?

Does anyone know if it's possible to remap dials? I see it's possible to change function buttons.  

I'm still trying to decide between buying first native lens the 12-35mm or a speedbooster.  Does anyone have any experience with any other cheaper brands of speedboosters?

Sure... from a thread about Metabones Speedboosters:

On 14-10-2016 at 2:11 PM, Cinegain said:

The reason they are so expensive is... the superior optics. Which... may or not be more valuable to you than a just fine enough performing cheaper ZY Optics/Zhongyi/Mitakon Lens Turbo II (dumb, without electronics however). And the fact they have that electronic connection and offer firmware support for it... now... there's one other option out there, the Aputure DEC LensRegain. But it's more of a system and kinda in the same ballpark. Otherwise you I believe you only either have the one or the other. Focal reducer, but no electronics... or electronics, but no focal reducer. (edit: actually, there's also the Kipon BAVEyes 0.7x EF-MFT with electronics as well, but if my memory serves me right, the optical performance is pretty much of the bottom level)

My solution... don't buy Canon, don't buy EF lenses and get everything in Nikon mount. :tounge_wink: Allows for easy and simple mechanical aperture control and shaves some of the price of a Metabones XL by not requiring the costly electronic bits. Of course... the EF-mount itself is a little more flexible than the Nikon one... so... I went ahead and bought a Lens Turbo II for that (EOS - M4/3). So I can also mount e.g. the Contax Zeiss lenses with a C/Y to EOS adapter, whereas that would've been a bit troublesome with a Nikon-mount. Albeit not with the same focal reduction as the amazing and one of a kind Metabones XL.

On 14-10-2016 at 2:27 PM, Cinegain said:

Go with the ZY Optics/Zhongyi/Mitakon Lens Turbo II mentioned. Alternatively there's been R.J. Camera . The Kipon BAVEyes range. But I would definitely recommend the Lens Turbo II over either of these. There's even cheaper brandless ones on eBay, like sold by the Roxsen store. But there you really pay bottom dollar for bottom quality. ;)

51 minutes ago, mattpitts74 said:

Thanks guys for your input, I've gone ahead and ordered a G80 body only, which arrived this afternoon, so I haven't had much time with it yet but first impressions are good, it feels so light compared to my 5D.  Almost worryingly so, but I'm sure it's strong enough. 

I have a couple if old FD lens kicking around so been having a play with them.  I must say the IS seems pretty impressive, which will be great for hand held.  I did find the buttons on the back alittle cramped, especially where compared to the 5D.  Hopefully muscle memory will kick in after a while. 

One thing I'd forgotten was no headphone for monitoring audio, which is a bit of a pain!  I find doing duel sync audio on your own is quite a faff! 

Also trying to get to grips with quickest way to punch in to check focus? Seems a bit fiddly in default setup?

Does anyone know if it's possible to remap dials? I see it's possible to change function buttons.  

I'm still trying to decide between buying first native lens the 12-35mm or a speedbooster.  Does anyone have any experience with any other cheaper brands of speedboosters?

Check out this article... and the site if you're unfamiliar with it.

http://www.vintagelensesforvideo.com/lensturbo2-vs-speedbooster/

19 minutes ago, mercer said:

Check out this article... and the site if you're unfamiliar with it.

http://www.vintagelensesforvideo.com/lensturbo2-vs-speedbooster/

Hi Matt, You've probably found it by now, but you can customize your Fn buttons in the Custom menu. I assign focus assist to fn1, since it's the one I use most often. I also find the clicky buttons on the wheel a bit awkward to use, maybe they could be a touch thicker/higher? Because the viewfinder is so great compared to what I've used before, I find I'm using it all the time. Now I just have to learn to use my nose to tap focus on the LCD while I'm composing in the EVF. :) 

14 hours ago, jonpais said:

Hi Matt, You've probably found it by now, but you can customize your Fn buttons in the Custom menu. I assign focus assist to fn1, since it's the one I use most often. I also find the clicky buttons on the wheel a bit awkward to use, maybe they could be a touch thicker/higher? Because the viewfinder is so great compared to what I've used before, I find I'm using it all the time. Now I just have to learn to use my nose to tap focus on the LCD while I'm composing in the EVF. :) 

Thanks I did find the custom menu, which is really help, so thanks, I assume that its not possible to use focus assist while recording? Also what do you use for audio?

11 hours ago, mattpitts74 said:

Thanks I did find the custom menu, which is really help, so thanks, I assume that its not possible to use focus assist while recording? Also what do you use for audio?

Right, once you begin recording, focus assist isn't available.