Is the BMPCC still relevant?

mercer

Yeah, a lot of the times it takes getting away for a while and looking at it again with a set of fresh eyes and then change it up a little or even starting from scratch (like I toned back the example, because I later saw an excessive red tint in the darker mids). Don't like LUTs that much, except for quickly rotating through a bunch to see how different looks might affect the feel of the image. I'd usually then start from scratch to get close to that.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, a lot of the times it takes getting away for a while and looking at it again with a set of fresh eyes and then change it up a little or even starting from scratch (like I toned back the example, because I later saw an excessive red tint in the darker mids). Don't like LUTs that much, except for quickly rotating through a bunch to see how different looks might affect the feel of the image. I'd usually then start from scratch to get close to that.

Good idea for LUT usage. The original video is replaced. I think it's a little more neutral now, but that IR Cut Filter definitely would have helped. 

With all this talk of 4:22 10 bit footage, I dug up some of my old Micro tests and did a simple color correction and light grade in FCPX using the color board. As some may know I am not the best of colorists, but I keep practicing and this is one of those attempts. I tried a few different looks based on the footage and how much I could push it. As most know... it is unbelievable how much latitude BM footage has.

Disclaimer: if you do not like boring shots with rack focusing then look away...

So you've come full circle! Not much of surprise really as nothing comes close to the Pocket/Micro for image & grading.

There's an identical thread over at BMCuser & people are in agreement - for the price there is no beating the Pocket.

It'll be interesting to see if BM come out with another camera - hopefully a replacement for their original camera.

1 hour ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

So you've come full circle! Not much of surprise really as nothing comes close to the Pocket/Micro for image & grading.

There's an identical thread over at BMCuser & people are in agreement - for the price there is no beating the Pocket.

It'll be interesting to see if BM come out with another camera - hopefully a replacement for their original camera.

Yeah, I am getting out of the testing every camera I can get my hands on phase. I did recently pick up a GH4 for a very specific project where I need the specs. But after that the BMPCC will be my main camera. I've already collected a camtree cage, a Metabones Nikon to BMPCC adapter and am looking at a Small Rig battery adapter that I may pick up. When I had my lemon Pocket back in October I used the Panasonic 12-35mm... It's not the most interesting of lenses, but with the OIS, I could go handheld with it. Obviously battery life is annoying, but they're cheap and with focus peaking, the LCD isn't nearly as bad as everybody makes it sound.

32 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah, I am getting out of the testing every camera I can get my hands on phase. I did recently pick up a GH4 for a very specific project where I need the specs. But after that the BMPCC will be my main camera. I've already collected a camtree cage, a Metabones Nikon to BMPCC adapter and am looking at a Small Rig battery adapter that I may pick up. When I had my lemon Pocket back in October I used the Panasonic 12-35mm... It's not the most interesting of lenses, but with the OIS, I could go handheld with it. Obviously battery life is annoying, but they're cheap and with focus peaking, the LCD isn't nearly as bad as everybody makes it sound.

If you've got the Pocket SB, then stabilisation shouldn't be a problem - just make sure that you've got enough points of contact with your body & you'll be fine.

Never understood what people were on about with the screen, it's perfectly ok (not the best, but far from being the worst) - a viewfinder is a great thing to have, as it allows better stabilisation.

As far as batteries are concerned, you can either go for something that will last all day or just get loads of small internal ones:

These are great EN-EL20s

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Pro-Ultra-White-Series-7-4V-1100mAh-Replacement-Battery-for-Nikon-EN-EL20-/182393892158?hash=item2a7785ed3e

If not this gets a lot of thumbs up:

http://juicebox.direct/product/magic-power/

or this one:

https://www.amazon.com/XTPower-10000mAh-Recorders-Sensation-Connectors/dp/B00935L44E/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1447976251&sr=1-1&keywords=battery+charger+bmpcc

17 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

If you've got the Pocket SB, then stabilisation shouldn't be a problem - just make sure that you've got enough points of contact with your body & you'll be fine.

Never understood what people were on about with the screen, it's perfectly ok (not the best, but far from being the worst) - a viewfinder is a great thing to have, as it allows better stabilisation.

As far as batteries are concerned, you can either go for something that will last all day or just get loads of small internal ones:

These are great EN-EL20s

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Pro-Ultra-White-Series-7-4V-1100mAh-Replacement-Battery-for-Nikon-EN-EL20-/182393892158?hash=item2a7785ed3e

If not this gets a lot of thumbs up:

http://juicebox.direct/product/magic-power/

or this one:

https://www.amazon.com/XTPower-10000mAh-Recorders-Sensation-Connectors/dp/B00935L44E/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1447976251&sr=1-1&keywords=battery+charger+bmpcc

I was thinking about picking up one of those Krasnogorsk shoulder stocks for added stabilization. I have no problem using a monopod, but handheld does sound appealing. I don't use a follow focus, at most I'll use a focus lever, but usually I'll focus with my left hand underneath the lens. For that reason, I have specifically chosen lenses that have short focus throws for this reason... ai-s lenses instead of non-ai or ai, MD lenses instead of MC lenses, and my Tokina RMC 17mm and AT-X 24-40mm have short throws as well.

Most of the work I'll be doing is no-budget, narrative shorts. I have a decent amount of actors available and willing to help but rather than for hire, they've agreed to be on loan, which in my circumstance equates to a few hours here and there. So to keep things simple for time and production reasons, I want to go as light as possible. Changing batteries isn't the most time consuming of issues and since I'll be shooting on average between 2 and 4 hours a day, I'll most likely go with multiple batteries.

But I was looking at this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EFSUK98/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A22PRX6WI8E2K6&psc=1

But, then again, with the run and gun, guerilla nature of my projects, the smallest possible footprint will be the best.

The one thing I did learn from using the 12-35mm is that the focus button, mixed with peaking, on the BMPCC is very useful and accurate.

I am surprised more filmmakers aren't using it as a point and shoot cinema camera.

I have the sony battery adapter you just linked to and it's definitely worth picking up.

I already had a lot of the sony batteries from LED lights and my Konova slider set up, so it was a no brainer for my pocket camera to be able to use all these batteries I already had.

It's made a huge difference in the usability prospects of the pocket.

The one I own/you linked to has been pretty good. Not the best to rig up, but I've certainly seen people using crazier/more inconvenient solutions.

I like that it charges the pockets internal battery too, so if you wanted to be more mobile and unplug from the battery adapter and go more hand held, you can do this and your battery will be charged for the times you want to do it.

I have 1 BM battery and around 5 offbrand ones, but the sony battery pack was definitely the way to do.

Rig it up to your cage and you're good to go all day.

49 minutes ago, homestar_kevin said:

I have the sony battery adapter you just linked to and it's definitely worth picking up.

I already had a lot of the sony batteries from LED lights and my Konova slider set up, so it was a no brainer for my pocket camera to be able to use all these batteries I already had.

It's made a huge difference in the usability prospects of the pocket.

The one I own/you linked to has been pretty good. Not the best to rig up, but I've certainly seen people using crazier/more inconvenient solutions.

I like that it charges the pockets internal battery too, so if you wanted to be more mobile and unplug from the battery adapter and go more hand held, you can do this and your battery will be charged for the times you want to do it.

I have 1 BM battery and around 5 offbrand ones, but the sony battery pack was definitely the way to do.

Rig it up to your cage and you're good to go all day.

Good to know, thanks. Do you need to have a battery in the camera for it to work? If so, have you ever experienced swelling issues? Also, is it really big... it looks kinda small and unobtrusive but I don't think Amazon has the actual dimensions. 

Yes, you need to have a battery internally in the camera.

They sony battery adapter then charges the internal battery, like it would look if the camera was plugged into a wall outlet charging.

The battery plate isn't big, I don't like the location of the 1/4 20 screw hole, but it's a minor complaint and the product is defintiely worth it for me.

I haven't noticed any swelling or any real downsides to speak of with it. 

I mainly use the BM branded battery inside the camera when using the battery adapter. 

8 hours ago, mercer said:

I was thinking about picking up one of those Krasnogorsk shoulder stocks for added stabilization. I have no problem using a monopod, but handheld does sound appealing. I don't use a follow focus, at most I'll use a focus lever, but usually I'll focus with my left hand underneath the lens. For that reason, I have specifically chosen lenses that have short focus throws for this reason... ai-s lenses instead of non-ai or ai, MD lenses instead of MC lenses, and my Tokina RMC 17mm and AT-X 24-40mm have short throws as well.

Most of the work I'll be doing is no-budget, narrative shorts. I have a decent amount of actors available and willing to help but rather than for hire, they've agreed to be on loan, which in my circumstance equates to a few hours here and there. So to keep things simple for time and production reasons, I want to go as light as possible. Changing batteries isn't the most time consuming of issues and since I'll be shooting on average between 2 and 4 hours a day, I'll most likely go with multiple batteries.

But I was looking at this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EFSUK98/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A22PRX6WI8E2K6&psc=1

But, then again, with the run and gun, guerilla nature of my projects, the smallest possible footprint will be the best.

The one thing I did learn from using the 12-35mm is that the focus button, mixed with peaking, on the BMPCC is very useful and accurate.

I am surprised more filmmakers aren't using it as a point and shoot cinema camera.

I have the Krasnogorsk pistolgrip/shoulder brace & it is by far the best/easiest for a quick small footprint (you might need an adaptor to fix to the bottom of the pocket if your cage doesn't have different screw sizes, but manfrotto do a cheap quick release one), get a cheap viewfinder too & you are set to go for very steady shots.

As far as batteries go, I just have a handfull batteries (see the link I provided - very good quality EN-EL20s ) & change them out when i change out the SD card after 45mins. I went for this option as I didn't want to add anymore more weight to my small rig.

As far as lenses go, I'm manual all the way & focus by hand.