Advice for a new camera

Alex Uzan

Hi there,

I own a sony a6300, and am not really happy with it for my main use which is : Product packshot and review, indoor mainly.

My blames to the A6300 are :

1. Only 8bit 4.2.2 with the hdmi out. Not so good for grading
  2. Too much moirè. I shot a lot of printed products like books, and it's really an issue.

Is there any camera that could fix those two issues, with all the good thing about the a6300 ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

Hello Jompais :)

The gh5 seems the one, but i'm not sure about going to mft from a APS-C censor. I dont care about low-light capabilities, since I use led and softbox in a light controlled room, but nice bokeh is really important when you shoot product.

Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 and 42.5 f0.95 on a GH5 should give plenty of DOP.

Or fast Sigma primes with a speed booster. On a GH5, naturally.

2 minutes ago, aldolega said:

A GH4 in 4K mode with an external recorder would give almost no moire, 10-bit 4:2:2, and a nice big screen for focusing and composing. Add a booster to bring it up to APS-C.

The GH5 is around the corner why would anyone recommend a GH4 + an external recorder?

GH4 cameras are going to be offered like hot dogs at lunch time in Manhattan for dump prices once the GH5 ships.

2 hours ago, aldolega said:

A GH4 in 4K mode with an external recorder would give almost no moire, 10-bit 4:2:2, and a nice big screen for focusing and composing. Add a booster to bring it up to APS-C.

Thats's good to know, What will I be missing from the A6300 for the video part only ?

4 hours ago, dantheman said:

What lens do you normally use and at what f-stop do you shoot? Also, what's the average distance between camera and the product?

Usually, 18 to 35mm, 1.8 to 4.0, with a disatnce between 60cm and 120cm. That fills all my need,but thinking about getting a macro lens.

3 hours ago, Davey said:

Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 and 42.5 f0.95 on a GH5 should give plenty of DOP.

Or fast Sigma primes with a speed booster. On a GH5, naturally.

That seems interesting :)

I m not sure what a GH5 would have for the OP's needs over a GH4.      Wouldn't it be more a function of the lens?

I would think  a GH4  with a decent fast lens would at least be worth a try.     How about a GH6? (kidding, kidding)!

52 minutes ago, noone said:

I m not sure what a GH5 would have for the OP's needs over a GH4.      Wouldn't it be more a function of the lens?

I would think  a GH4  with a decent fast lens would at least be worth a try.     How about a GH6? (kidding, kidding)!

It seems that Panasonic really improved picture quality on g7/g85 over the gh4 (Samples on dpreview). Better sharpness and ISO noise.

And comming from an A6300 and its amazing sharpness at 4k, it's good to take.

Just like frame rates, 10 bit vs 8 bit is no magic number. Some camera's high frame rate results are better than others, and some manufacturer's implementation of 10 bit will be different as well. Not many of us are expert colorists, either. Secondly, unless you are pushing the color around to extremes, 8 bit can hold up very well. I try to get white balance in camera as close as I possibly can, then do mild color correction and perhaps throw on a LUT, and I've never run into banding or artifact issues, and nobody has ever said, gee, Jon, it looks okay, but too bad you didn't record 10 bit. Here and here is more about 8 bit vs 10 bit. 

Unsure why everybody is knocking the GH4 lately? Such amazing specs and probably the first digital camera from a major manufacturer that really added features specific to filmmaker's needs. I recently bought the FZ2500, which has been described as a mini GH4 and after using it for the past couple weeks, I like it so much, I realized I could have saved a hundred bucks and bought the GH4. Of course... I am also a fan of the 200mbps All-I 1080p and I know most on the forum dislike it... so what do I know.

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Just like frame rates, 10 bit vs 8 bit is no magic number. Some camera's high frame rate results are better than others, and some manufacturer's implementation of 10 bit will be different as well. Not many of us are expert colorists, either. Secondly, unless you are pushing the color around to extremes, 8 bit can hold up very well. I try to get white balance in camera as close as I possibly can, then do mild color correction and perhaps throw on a LUT, and I've never run into banding or artifact issues, and nobody has ever said, gee, Jon, it looks okay, but too bad you didn't record 10 bit. Here and here is more about 8 bit vs 10 bit. 

You're right that we can do a lot of beautiful things in 8 bits. But if you want to shot in log, 10 bit is absolutely necessary to avoid a lot of issue.

But if color really matters, the best way is to get a camera that shots raw, like the bmpcc.  But Man, that sensor is small :dizzy:

5 hours ago, mercer said:

Unsure why everybody is knocking the GH4 lately? Such amazing specs and probably the first digital camera from a major manufacturer that really added features specific to filmmaker's needs. I recently bought the FZ2500, which has been described as a mini GH4 and after using it for the past couple weeks, I like it so much, I realized I could have saved a hundred bucks and bought the GH4. Of course... I am also a fan of the 200mbps All-I 1080p and I know most on the forum dislike it... so what do I know.

I meet a lot of folks here who are still fond of their 10 year-old Canon EOS 30Ds with 2GB memory cards as large as a credit card. ? Panasonic owners are kind of a cult - I know of only two filmmakers here who shoot with a Lumix. Every day, people ask why I don't shoot with Canon. And when they show me the jpegs they've just shot, they're always overexposed with a strong bluish cast. ?? It's not that the GH4 is bad, it's just that the G85 is that much better for what I do, which is accosting strangers on the street and stealing their souls. With the GH4, I felt as if it was more difficult to peer into their consciences; I think there is something about the vibrations emitted by the IBIS that helps break down their defenses, enabling me to capture their true likeness that they take such pains to conceal from the world.

10 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I meet a lot of folks here who are still fond of their 10 year-old Canons with 2GB memory cards as large as a credit card. ? Panasonic owners are kind of a cult - I know of only two filmmakers here who shoot with a Lumix. Every day, people ask why I don't shoot with Canon. And when they show me the jpegs they've just shot, they're always overexposed with a strong bluish cast. ?? It's not that the GH4 is bad, it's just that the G85 is that much better for what I do, which is accosting strangers on the street and stealing their souls. With the GH4, I felt as if it was more difficult to peer into their conscience, I think there is something about the vibrations emitted by the IBIS that helps break down their defenses, enabling me to capture their true likeness that they go to so much effort to hide from the world.

Lol

I stick my 28mm on my A7sii, switch to silent shooting, turn off the LCD and get some fantastic close up angles of natural expressions as I am wandering around crowds. I always look in the opposite direction to where I am shooting and have mastered the art of pretending I have seen something fascinating off in the distance.

For my 70-200 I can do the same but have to stand or sit still and 'fish' an area of the street.

On 12/31/2016 at 7:56 AM, Cary Knoop said:

The GH5 is around the corner why would anyone recommend a GH4 + an external recorder?

GH4 cameras are going to be offered like hot dogs at lunch time in Manhattan for dump prices once the GH5 ships.

A secondhand Panasonic GH4 would have to drop so far it is within a couple of a hundred bucks of a Panasonic G7 secondhand price. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

A secondhand Panasonic GH4 would have to drop so far it is within a couple of a hundred bucks of a Panasonic G7 secondhand price. 

I just got a great deal on a "new other, open box" GH4 from Samy's... So, I would say the price you are looking for is already there. Of course I don't care about the 4K and am only going to use it for the 200mbps All-I 24p and 60p... the constant shutter angle is a pretty awesome feature too.

But if you only care or need the 4K... with the IBIS, the G85 seems to be the camera to get right about now.