Which gimbal for NX1 + 16-50S

baksteen

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have the Beholder DS1 pistol grip gimbal and while it works, it's not ideal. The EVF will hit the gimbal when you tilt it back and the motors struggle a bit with the heavy weight. 

It runs great with just the 30mm though. 

I would recommend a 3 axis gimbal if you want to use the 16-50.

I have used the NX1+16-50s quite a bit on a Ronin M, pretty awesome combo. Obviously pretty big and heavy though. I now own a Zhiyun Crane, but personally I prefer to use a little bit lighter setup with the handheld pistol-grip-style stabilizers like the crane, since the easy mobility and lightness are why I bought it. It's definitely a little trickier to balance the heavier the lens, and the 16-50 is pretty robust. The crane's powerful motors are certainly more than a match for the weight though, once it's balanced properly. 

Great topic and great advice. I am definitely going to continue to follow for everyone's opinions and experience with this camera and lens combo on a gimbal.

Just to give a different angle I Personally I use a Glidecam with my NX1 and 16-50S. Overall the hole rig is lighter than a large gimbal and not much heavier than the really small gimbals.

Obviously it is not at all the same as a gimbal but you can get a used HD2000 from craigslist for really cheap and personally I prefer the increased versatility of the glidcam over the more smooth gimbal shots.

Of course this is all just my opinion.