Which ND Strenghts do I need to shoot with the bmmcc?

Kalledrich

I wonder wich nd strengths I'm going to need to shoot with the bmmcc at ISO 800 in bright daylight. Im speaking about 4x4 filters for a mattebox because my lenses have no filter threads. So what would be the most versatile option without the need to spend too much money on it? I also wouln't like to stack nd's because i might put an ir filter in front and i have only two trays to work with.

Thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2016 at 4:06 AM, webrunner5 said:

Pretty good link to here on the subject.

Hope it helps.

good link thanks. I'm only days away from buying the SLR Variable ND, but wondering about a couple of things concerning the MK1 and MK2 versions.

Firstly are the MK1 and 2 as good as each other, and secondly can you adjust the polarisation on the MK2 with the rear of the filter?

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

good link thanks. I'm only days away from buying the SLR Variable ND, but wondering about a couple of things concerning the MK1 and MK2 versions.

Firstly are the MK1 and 2 as good as each other, and secondly can you adjust the polarisation on the MK2 with the rear of the filter?

The MK2 is meant to be better - take a look at this thread from BMCuser:

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?11193-SLRMagic-Vari-ND-thread

14 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

The MK2 is meant to be better - take a look at this thread from BMCuser:

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?11193-SLRMagic-Vari-ND-thread

Thanks heaps for that link. I'm half way through, but in the 1st couple of pages I see that Kholi hopes they can engineer the back of the filter to cut polarisation. seems like SLR took notice on that one?? Also the IR cut is big with those guys....makes me wonder about our cameras? anyways I'll read the rest tomorrow, but I'm sold on the SLR. Thanks. One final thing though, do they only come in 4 different thread sizes?

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Thanks heaps for that link. I'm half way through, but in the 1st couple of pages I see that Kholi hopes they can engineer the back of the filter to cut polarisation. seems like SLR took notice on that one?? Also the IR cut is big with those guys....makes me wonder about our cameras? anyways I'll read the rest tomorrow, but I'm sold on the SLR. Thanks. One final thing though, do they only come in 4 different thread sizes?

Yep, looks like it - 52, 62, 77 & 82

http://www.slrmagic.co.uk/slr-magic-accessories.html

Yes you can rotate the whole thing without unscrewing it, so you can cut polarisation. I wished they'd come in a bigger size, but hey, they cover most of the most popular ones.

I went with the seperate Hoya IR/UV filter, which stays on at all times & then add the Genustech Eclipse Vari-ND.

If you shoot RAW, then you don't really need an IR cut as you can alter any colour cast in post (more hassle though). But for ProRes an IR cut is a must at all times.

And yes, the BM sensors are seriously lacking in the IR cut department.

If you've got the extra cash then the Firecrest ND filters get the best praise for BM cameras - pricey though.

I shoot with a formatt hitech 1.2 on the Contax Zeiss 35-70mm f/3.4.

Generally for most wide aperture lenses on a camera that I can shoot at ISO 100 I find that 0.9 - 1.2 is the sweet spot (for instance I use a formatt hitech 1.2 with my Samsung NX1 + Samyang 85mm f/1.4 if I want to shoot with it wide open outside). Even then it can be slightly too hot depending on the strength of the light.