Are Canon EF lenses still a good investment?

austinchimp

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/25/2016 at 6:33 AM, Arikhan said:

@IronFilm

No. At the first only 4 primes: 20, 35, 50 and 85 1.8. After some weeks/months of familiarization, we will see which lenses we need furthermore. We have to evaluate the quality of some Nikon tele lenses (for our personal way of shooting, needs and IQ requirements) to make a decision and therefore we have to borrow them first.

What kind of stills shooting do you do professionally? & which Nikon bodies did you get?

On 12/25/2016 at 9:20 AM, Cary Knoop said:

Does it work well with the speedbooster on the Panasonics? 

Any vignetting at wide angles?

There wouldn't be as it is designed for the larger APS-C sensor.

On 12/25/2016 at 5:25 PM, jonpais said:

absolute rubbish

Really? Maybe you're the one who is absolute rubbish? Forward to 7:10m. Noticed how Tony actually phoned Sigma to get a fix but it's focusing back then forward so the usb isn't going to fix that because its a random problem. And he asked his Canon friends if they had the problem and they have it also! Means it's total lemon! At least the 18 -35mm can focus consistently with centrepoint or that would be a write off too!!

Here's the 18 -35 focus problem. there's a few more but I can't be bothered finding them. I can live with centrepoint only focus for stills, I shoot stills that way anyway. Notice he had to retest because his friends had this problem also but he didn't find it first time he tried!! ie it's a design flaw and it's not fixed by the usb dock! You've got to wonder why Sigma issued a usb dock to correct focus issues in the first place right? No other manufacturers do as far as I'm aware, they just sell lenses that focus and work?  And I'm not a Sigma hater I have 5 sigma lenses which I use all the time!

6 hours ago, Henry Gentles said:

Really? Maybe you're the one who is absolute rubbish? Forward to 7:10m. Noticed how Tony actually phoned Sigma to get a fix but it's focusing back then forward so the usb isn't going to fix that because its a random problem. And he asked his Canon friends if they had the problem and they have it also! Means it's total lemon! At least the 18 -35mm can focus consistently with centrepoint or that would be a write off too!!

Here's the 18 -35 focus problem. there's a few more but I can't be bothered finding them. I can live with centrepoint only focus for stills, I shoot stills that way anyway. Notice he had to retest because his friends had this problem also but he didn't find it first time he tried!! ie it's a design flaw and it's not fixed by the usb dock! You've got to wonder why Sigma issued a usb dock to correct focus issues in the first place right? No other manufacturers do as far as I'm aware, they just sell lenses that focus and work?  And I'm not a Sigma hater I have 5 sigma lenses which I use all the time!

Testing is deeply flawed. He also says this is a problem with all 18-35 lenses, but does not give any supporting evidence of this. Plus, the TouTuber only tests with the Nikon 7200. Does he only own one camera body? Why doesn't he try the lens on other bodies? And not a piece of paper, but an actual real world test.  One test with a single ruled sheet of A4 paper at an angle does not a test make.  The video I shared that was shot with the Sony a6500 maintains focus on the subject even at the extreme edges of the frame, and apparently works better than other adapted lenses. That's another issue: adapted lenses will never work better than OEM lenses in autofocus. You say the problem is widely known but you share a video with a mere 63 hits. Not quite what I expected from you. 

Edit: Google any of the lenses you recommend and add 'autofocus problems', and you'll get hundreds of articles about autofocus issues as well, including your beloved Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L. 

I think we are a generation or two away from Canon having perfected autofocus for video where we will see a shift where most people will start relying on the quality of autofocus for video.  And they will start releasing STM L lenses with better performing glass.  So whether you buy Canon or Sony, buy the lens that will get the job done now.  And whatever the case, you will be upgrading the lenses regardless when they come out, especially for video.

17 minutes ago, Michael Ma said:

I think we are a generation or two away from Canon having perfected autofocus for video where we will see a shift where most people will start relying on the quality of autofocus for video.

Until  we find a way to indicate where we want to focus at any time there won't be a perfect auto focus. 

Video deals with moving things and people, how can a camera know where it needs to focus on at any time?

Just now, Cary Knoop said:

Until  we find a way to indicate where we want to focus at any time there won't be a perfect auto focus. 

Video deals with moving things and people, how can a camera know where it needs to focus on at any time?

Of course you would have to provide it some information.  It can't read your mind.  After we tell what we to focus on, it should at least keep track of it.  Even if leaves the frame.  Even if a person's body becomes a face, which then becomes an eyeball.  Right now, it's not there yet.

@IronFilm

What kind of stills shooting do you do professionally?

No stills shooting professionally...I am still a scholar for the next 1,5 years. I do photography with my family. My father travels in the context of his job around the world and his passion is taking stills (now for around 25 years). So this is a "family passion" and not a money making profession... ;-)

& which Nikon bodies did you get?

The D750 and D810. After decades of using Canon cameras (all available FF and APS-C till 2015). I still love Canon, but times and kind of shooting change and we love more and more the "neutral" Nikon skin tones, DR and ISO invariance, moreover you can work on the colour science in post when shooting RAW. When shooting portraits, meanwhile (after some time working on colour science in post) it's impossible to distinguish a Nikon from a Canon shoot. So the famous "Canon skin tones" are not a point to buy Canon any more after establishing a fast and effective workflow in post - depending on lighting conditions, composition, prefered mood, etc....