Macbook Pro 15" 2014 base model render times in FCPX

Fredrik Lyhne

I have a MBP 15" mid 2014 base model with the following specs: 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MH z DDR3, Intel Iris Pro 1536, 256 SSD.

I have been editing on a My Passport 2 TB 2.5" hard drive which is very slow but since my videos is short it's doable. I tried to render the same clip on the internal SSD and to my surprise the render times on a 20 sec clip with grading was almost identical. 

I also tried a Seagate 3.5" hard drive and Lacie 2big 8TB in raid 0 with the same result. 

On the BMC disk speed test the results was 70/70 MB/s, 140/140 MB/s, 300/300 MB/s and 500/500 MB/s on the internal SSD.

So is the bottleneck the graphics card or processor or am I doing something very wrong here?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Thanks! I will have to put that on my wish list for Santa. Hope it's not too late! ;)

Have you gotten your new MBP yet?

I grudgingly ordered a build after giving up trying to find a MBPr 2015 from a reputable dealer here. They quoted me from four to seven weeks, so maybe by the end of next month. I got 4GB graphics card and 500GB SSD. I still have to order a bunch of new cables, adapters and an SD card reader.