nx1 picture turns green during video recording

fletch murray

I've had my NX1 for a year now.  Last night while filming the sensor turned green 4 seconds into the shot.  I stopped and it did the same thing the next time I rolled.  (I have 1.40 body firmware. I was filming at 120 fps.) But the rest of the shoot it worked perfectly.  Anybody run into this?  I'm wondering if this is why Samsung shut it down (cost of recalls, embarrassment, bad publicity for the brand, etc.  I've never seen such an excellent camera disappear after beating all the competitors in the mirrorless category PLUS providing 4k internal with an SD card.   I could go on and on.  At the time, I hoped that Nikon bought the innards for their own mirrorless system.  I still hope that will occur.

The first NX1 I bought in November 2015 did this "go Green" on one shot, but then worked fine.  I sent it back to Adorama anyway and they replaced it with the one I now have.  At the time I just thought that the first camera was a lemon.  

NX1 turns green during video.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It isn't a tint issue. The camera's picture turned green and remained green.

Here's a link to the first NX1 I bought in November 2015 that turned green while filming video.  (Password is fletch)  I notified Samsung but they'd already gone into "radio silence" about the NX1. I returned the camera. Then I ordered another NX1. I hoped that the "turning green" issue was only on the first NX1.  

Now this second NX1, which I've had for a year now, did it while filming the Christmas trees.  

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any input on how to avoid it or correct it?  Or do you have a way I can bring this to Vasile's attention.

7 minutes ago, fletch murray said:

It isn't a tint issue. The camera's picture turned green and remained green.

Here's a link to the first NX1 I bought in November 2015 that turned green while filming video.  (Password is fletch)  I notified Samsung but they'd already gone into "radio silence" about the NX1. I returned the camera. Then I ordered another NX1. I hoped that the "turning green" issue was only on the first NX1.  

Now this second NX1, which I've had for a year now, did it while filming the Christmas trees.  

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any input on how to avoid it or correct it?  Or do you have a way I can bring this to Vasile's attention.

Have you tried a different brand of SD card? Switching them up seems to solve a lot of weirdo problems that seem like they should have nothing to do with the memory card.

Hi BopBill,

Thanks for the suggestion.  On the shot three nights ago, I was on Auto White balance.  The sensor went green 4 seconds into the shot.  On the next shot, it went green 4 seconds in...but no changes in settings.  Both were shot at 120 fps.  The rest of the night the camera worked fine even at 120 fps.

1 hour ago, fletch murray said:

Hi BopBill,

Thanks for the suggestion.  On the shot three nights ago, I was on Auto White balance.  The sensor went green 4 seconds into the shot.  On the next shot, it went green 4 seconds in...but no changes in settings.  Both were shot at 120 fps.  The rest of the night the camera worked fine even at 120 fps.

What was your ISO? I know 120fps on the nx1 needs a lot of light and lower ISO for best results

I maybe have seen it once, but I can not be sure, so I can not be of any help.

I believe NX1 has some little issues (probably like this one, and another thing, when from photo camera, press REC, then it takes a second, or so to adjust to the video settings) that weren't taken care of, because of the retreat.

You are not going to find Vasile any time soon!

This looks like an issue that can rarely occur when sensor has been hit by a green laser or something equally strong, please note that it may not be your case but I read about people who had this issue after having their camera being hit by a green laser accidentally and killed their R and B channels or damaged them.

Please try this without the auto white balance to see if it may be an issue with the white balance going haywire which can also be the case.
It can also be sensor manufacturing faults, it can happen if they did not properly construct the sensor damaging the R and B channels specially if they are not connected properly they just randomly turn on and off. 

On 12/25/2016 at 3:35 PM, SMGJohn said:

This looks like an issue that can rarely occur when sensor has been hit by a green laser or something equally strong, please note that it may not be your case but I read about people who had this issue after having their camera being hit by a green laser accidentally and killed their R and B channels or damaged them.

Please try this without the auto white balance to see if it may be an issue with the white balance going haywire which can also be the case.
It can also be sensor manufacturing faults, it can happen if they did not properly construct the sensor damaging the R and B channels specially if they are not connected properly they just randomly turn on and off. 

If this were the case (laser hitting the sensor), wouldn't it be green all of the time instead of just sporadically? 

18 hours ago, iamoui said:

If this were the case (laser hitting the sensor), wouldn't it be green all of the time instead of just sporadically? 

Not necessarily, lasers can damage the sensor in multiple ways really, the more common ones are killing pixels but destroying the RGB channels can also occur, it should be common sense to never point your camera in the direction of lasers specially at night when you need as much light as possible, a powerful laser can fry your sensor in microseconds. 

Example of laser killing vertical and horizontal lines on a Canon 5DMII:

On 12/25/2016 at 0:35 PM, SMGJohn said:

SMGJohn - Thanks for the suggestion.  I just want to underscore that I can't get the "going green in four seconds" to repeat.  The filming went fine for the rest of the night that it went green twice.  It's filmed just fine ever since.

Hi BopBill,

• 1 month later...

I can confirm this problem. I had it on both my NX500 and my NX1, also on my friends NX500. Everytime it happend it has happend during an event. I shot and record events like the one above with the sensor getting damaged. I've also called them - when they still sold the NX1, told me they never heard about it. Said it happend on three different cameras, they didn't care much, sent a mail with images and everything and never got a response. Anyway. I always use AWB on my events, I'm going to Val de Sair next week for a nightclub video shot, will try shooting with fixed WB or another WB mode. This has also happend when I'm just viewing the LCD when taking stills.

Worth noting is that I took it for a ride in the winter almost exactly one years ago, shot and filmed a couple of hours during sunny daylight - no problems what so ever. Never had this issue during daytime (almost never shot images or video during the day though). And when my friend was using her NX500 during her school projects which occured during daytime she didn't have any problems either. So I think this has something to do with the lightning at the scene. I've tried to pinpoint what kind of lightning that set this off, and I've been noticing that magenta/pink/strong reds has been involved ALMOST every time. 

You would think that the one in the lower corner (NX1) should rise the issue in like a second, but it doesn't as you can see. Also, I know like a fraction of video compared to you guys, trying to learn all these cinematic stuff you do here. Just so you know before you bash down on anything xD Also,NX500 is operated by friend, NX1 by me, as you can guess it's stills from video ;)

Been thinking about selling off my stuff, actually missed a couple of important photos because of this issue, and the autofocus in low light is a joke for taking photos (had Nikon D4 before this). During daytime it's unbelievably awesome though - so weird I think :P I have everything, battery grip, NX1, NX500, all three S-lenses etc. But when I see what you guys can do with the camera, and how much you appreciate the bitrate hack I always take a step back and think again...

Untitled-1.jpg