Best LUT's for Samsung NX1?

Evan

Hey guys -hope you are all well!! so iv purchased a great pack from Andrew regards the LUT log for my NX1...was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to suggest s handful of LUT's to try?  Also, what are the best in camera settings for applying you LUT's...please excuse my lack of understanding and experiance....thank you...humbly!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, SuperSet said:

There's another NX1 thread with links to ARourke's free LUTs that you should try as well as recommended picture settings. I really love the 1DX one that he did.

I've also had great luck with the IWLTBAP ones.

Thank you very much!!

I like and use all of the above mentioned LUTs with the NX1 and NX500 and would heartily recommend them as well. I'll throw a few more in the ring that I enjoy also: I really like Neumann film's rec.709 cinema lut, it's subtle but really nice, and I frequently use the tried-and-true Osiris M31 LUT with the NX1 with lovely results, as well as James Miler's DeLuts, particularly Sunderland, and various of his black and white ones. I also like how filmconvert plays with NX footage. I haven't really put the new Samsung profiles they released through the paces yet (haven't heard the greatest things about them, unfortunately) but in the past I've had luck using Red Gamma profiles.

Best of luck! In my opinion the color these cameras produce is very malleable, and you can really reproduce an astonishingly wide variety of looks without too much trouble. 

9 hours ago, Evan said:

WOW - WHAT ARE YOUR IN CAMERA SETTINGS AND PICTURE PROFILE?

Thanks!

Kinoseed bitrate hack (180mbs), using Andrew's Gamma DR profile. Lenses: Samsung 16-50 S, Rokinon 12mm and 85mm, plus some lensbaby. I used a couple LUTS (8690 and 8181) by luts.iwltbap.com and FilmConvert in post. Filmed in 4K converted to ProRes for editing in Premiere. Yes, I know Premiere supports H.265, but I've had nothing but problems with H.265 files since the last update. Exported to 1080.

23 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

If I understand. You capture with eoshd settings, then apply gamma lut, then some other lut?

I seem to have better results NOT applying Amdrew's gamma LUT.

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@NX1user what H265 problems?  I have the memory leak issue, but everything else works fine, so I am reluctunt to upgrade to the newer version. If I am not be able to use H265 natively, then I will skip the latest version.

Premiere is laggy now with the bitrate-hacked footage. It was fine with it a few months ago. Because of the lag, I now render the workspace to preview edits, like pans or zooms added in post. Well, now when I render the workspace, the program window gives me the "media pending" message forever. If I actually export the file it's fine. If I delete the render preview files (or whatever they are called) I get picture back in the program monitor, but the lag also returns. None of this happens if I convert the 4K files to ProRes first.

I'm assuming this is a Premiere problem. It wouldn't surprise me if it's an Apple problem that is somehow screwing up thing in Premiere. I reinstalled Premiere and even bought more memory for my computer. No change. It's frustrating because a few months ago, on the same machine, exactly the same footage would play back just fine in Premiere.

I have a late 2014 imac 5K maxed out memory, processor and video card.

Sorry to hear that, it is definitely software related (Apple related too), as my pc is much older, but with good specs (except the gpu which is jusy mediocre with today standards). 

I haven't process anything more than 120mbps though, I guess the 180 could make a huge difference in processing power needed, does it make a huge difference in grading and total image quality though?

17 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Sorry to hear that, it is definitely software related (Apple related too), as my pc is much older, but with good specs (except the gpu which is jusy mediocre with today standards). 

I haven't process anything more than 120mbps though, I guess the 180 could make a huge difference in processing power needed, does it make a huge difference in grading and total image quality though?

Yes, for grading and getting rid of compression noise in fine patterns and shadows, 180 is worth it. I never noticed any difference above 180 and that seems to be what others have said too.

• 4 months later...