EOSHD Pro Color for Panasonic (GH4, GX85, G85 + more)

Andrew Reid

Hey Andrew, I'm a little confused about the LX100. You mention it in the video title and a couple times here in your testing but it isn't listed in the compatible Panasonic models in your article. Maybe this LUT is to be used in a post process and the camera model doesn't matter but would love to use it with my LX100. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've bought yesterday and I'm using on a music video I shot with both GH4 and G7 (Natural -5, Contrast - 5). 
I'm using it at 80% since the profile I used while shooting was not the one Andrew suggest, but I can guarantee that the skintones become just awesome. 

As soon the video will be out I'll post it here.

Thank you Andrew! ;) 

On 12/22/2016 at 7:25 PM, studiodc said:

Just ordered! To go with my still-in-transit GX85.

Same here, looking forward to playing around with Pro Color tonight.  Filmconvert + GX85 in natural profile has been a winner for me for most situations.  Still, there are times when I prefer a more vivid canon-esque grade to conservative film simulations.

• Administrators
On 22/12/2016 at 1:55 AM, MediaMan said:

Hey Andrew, I'm a little confused about the LX100. You mention it in the video title and a couple times here in your testing but it isn't listed in the compatible Panasonic models in your article. Maybe this LUT is to be used in a post process and the camera model doesn't matter but would love to use it with my LX100. 

Added it to the compatibility list. It should have been there in the first place but I forgot to add it.

I went out and bought an LX100 again the other day as I am liking the results so much with the G85.

LX100 is a little gem of a camera.

Ciao!

This is a music video I shot with GH4 and G7 (both with Natural profile, saturation -5, contrast -5).
I shot it very quickly: two afternoon and an evening, one week between the 2 days of shooting and in that time I sold the GH4, so the second day of shooting was with the G7.

I shot all handheld without shoulder rig except for a part of the indoor shot with the voodoo witch, where I used a tripod while she mix the potion.
The drone scenes are shot on DJI Phantom 3 Professional (not mine, we called a pilot), which is a little too "digital" for my taste. 

I used Andrew's EOSHD Pro Color for Panasonic and I'm really happy about the skin tones and the overall colors. I also used FilmConvert's Kodak Vision3 5207 with grain 20%.

Thank you Andrew ;)

p.s.: can you spot which is the GH4 and which is the G7? :) 

• Administrators

Thanks for using Pro Color on the video JazzBox.

I see you had contrast -5

It would have looked better with the optimal settings in the guide, which have contrast at 0.

When you set contrast to -5 it doesn't give you more dynamic range.

It reduces the amount of tones between one colour and another = Less colour information in the end result even when you add contrast in post.

This is EOSHD Pro Color for Panasonic with Contrast at 0 (optimal, as in guide):

good.jpg

And this is at contrast -5 (see how the tones on the face are mashed together?):

bad.jpg

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Thanks for using Pro Color on the video JazzBox.

I see you had contrast -5

It would have looked better with the optimal settings in the guide, which have contrast at 0.

When you set contrast to -5 it doesn't give you more dynamic range.

It reduces the amount of tones between one colour and another = Less colour information in the end result even when you add contrast in post.

This is EOSHD Pro Color for Panasonic with Contrast at 0 (optimal, as in guide):

good.jpg

And this is at contrast -5 (see how the tones on the face are mashed together?):

bad.jpg

I shot that video a couple of week ago, but I'm going to set the contrast as you suggest in the guide, because the colors you gave us are AWESOME, so I want to record the best file possible in order to process it with your color science!

I think that it is just crazy not using your profile: hours of work for getting right skin tones in 1 click! :) 

2 hours ago, bunk said:

My guess is: artist playing guitar gh4

Nice video btw

No :)
Artist playing guitar, indoor scene and night scene are G7.
All the rest (walking in the nature, girl, dancing etc..) is GH4 :) 

18 hours ago, JazzBox said:

Ciao!

This is a music video I shot with GH4 and G7 (both with Natural profile, saturation -5, contrast -5).
I shot it very quickly: two afternoon and an evening, one week between the 2 days of shooting and in that time I sold the GH4, so the second day of shooting was with the G7.

I shot all handheld without shoulder rig except for a part of the indoor shot with the voodoo witch, where I used a tripod while she mix the potion.
The drone scenes are shot on DJI Phantom 3 Professional (not mine, we called a pilot), which is a little too "digital" for my taste. 

I used Andrew's EOSHD Pro Color for Panasonic and I'm really happy about the skin tones and the overall colors. I also used FilmConvert's Kodak Vision3 5207 with grain 20%.

Thank you Andrew ;)

p.s.: can you spot which is the GH4 and which is the G7? :) 

Such a good video and song - very well done!

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

This video looks soo good man. On the handheld technique...did you use a strap to balance it out with your neck or literally just hands close to the body? Or another method?

Thank you very much!

I used the strap only on the first couple of shots.
For the one at 0:10 I tried to use the straps to simulate the Wing ( https://www.edelkrone.com/eu/p/187/wing ). The Olympus 12-40 was on 40mm.
For the shot at 0:13 I started very high with the camera and I went down on my knees, the lens was set to 12mm, in order to have more parallax. Of course I had to try 4 or 5 times in order to have a decent shot that during the editing I had to stabilize (and crop) a little. 

Some shots were with tripod: the voodoo-witch indoor (but not the OTS shot indoor, that were handheld), the dancing, the curly girl when in close up and some wide shots.

On some shots I just put the camera down to the ground.

All the rest was totally handheld with no strap, especially the playback that was shot very quickly and very shaky on purpose.

For the playback I took the camera in my hands, the right hand on the G7 grip, the left hand on the lens (the Olympus 12-40, on 25mm for the wide shot, on 40mm for the close up) for pulling focus.  

The other lens were the CY Zeiss 80-200 f/4 (for the curly girl's close up, for a couple of guy's walking and for the dancing), the CY Zeiss 35 f/2.8 for the medium shot of the voodoo-witch, the CY Zeiss 50 f/1.7 for the indoor close up and OTS, all always at the widest aperture possible.  

All the rest (playback, walking etc...) was the Olympus 12-40 f/2.8, mostly at 25mm and 40mm. 

For the playback I used an HOYA Pro ND 16.

The video was shot very quickly, so I had no time to setup follow focus, cages, stabilizer etc..

(I had a mini-gimbal some months ago, it was quite good but 99% of the time I had no time to balance it so I sold it. After some research I tried an Ikan Beholder DS-1 which I did not like at all, a super nice Zhiyun Crane - great, but no assistance in Italy, so I did not buy it - and now I've bought a FlyCam HD300 with vest, but it arrived las week).

Anyway for music video with super low budget like this one I prefer to work with some technical limitations (no follow focus, no external monitor, no rigs), mostly handheld to be as mobile and as quick as possible, in order to spend all the time trying to achieve a nice framing and lighting. 

The cuts in editing are quite fast, so the handheld look it is not too disturbing to me :) 

For any questions just ask, I'm here ;)