1DC Mark II with 8K

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For a variety of reasons, mathematical and physical, most 4K cameras don't really produce actual, clean, alias-free 4K of resolution. The C300 Mark I and C100 Mark I/II produce true 2K using 4K sensors. The C300 II does not produce true 4K (measured at 3300x1750) nor does the 1DX II (looks similar to C300 II 4K). To produce real, alias-free 4K we need to sample at 2x the resolution (per Nyquist) or 8K. Thus 8K cameras can finally give us full 4K resolution for playback. This looks amazing on a 4K monitor (skintones are nice too!): 

14 minutes ago, Shield3 said:

4k, 8k, bah.  I was watching a Blu-ray rip of the 1983 Scarface tonight allowing my UHD to upscale the *gasp* 720p footage and thought it looked AMAZING for 33 years ago.  I guess content is always king of course.  :)

Yeah there is a reason a measly BMPCC is still in great demand. Grudge wins at times with overall resolution. Hell BMPCC raw files are bad enough, can't imagine 8k red file storage! :grimace: But if someone wants to give me the Red for Christmas!!  :glasses:

28 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

That dude was on point! :grin: Great footage too.

Back OT however, it's Canon. I cannot imagine them releasing an 8K 1DC anytime soon, so I call B$.

Agreed, especially when you consider the prototype they showed at Photokina... https://***URL not allowed***/look-canons-crazy-8k-camera-prototype/

Plus this is Canon... it would cost $60k.

These are just rumors, there is zero evidence to suggest it will happen.

Yeah. 8K would really be dataslurping the heck out of it. Just not practical. And whilst H.265/HEVC popped up, Sony having XAVC/XOCN etc, there's Canon that favors putting one flavor of old 'n heavy 500Mbps MJPEG in their DSLR-style cameras. Besides. Who really needs 8K as a recording format anyways? And if you're into those kind of projects, why not a RED Weapon or in time a C800? Crashcam. Well. Don't think they made the 1D C, because then it would be convenient to mount on vehicles, use in tight spaces and stuff. I just don't think it even make much sense to have a camera like the 1D C do 8K. What might be a good idea is non-cropped 4K with true pixel-to-pixel readout (or atleast good supersampled). Because the 5DmkII started this whole shooting fullframe video on a DSLR genre... and meanwhile we're shooting 4K. But the Canon DSLR genre only offers up cropped modes for that. 1D C Mark II could make Canon great again, but they got to be smart and practical about it. But I doubt they're init to play that game. We'll see. But 8K? No way. And; why would they?

9 hours ago, jcs said:

For a variety of reasons, mathematical and physical, most 4K cameras don't really produce actual, clean, alias-free 4K of resolution. The C300 Mark I and C100 Mark I/II produce true 2K using 4K sensors. The C300 II does not produce true 4K (measured at 3300x1750) nor does the 1DX II (looks similar to C300 II 4K). To produce real, alias-free 4K we need to sample at 2x the resolution (per Nyquist) or 8K. Thus 8K cameras can finally give us full 4K resolution for playback. This looks amazing on a 4K monitor (skintones are nice too!): 

Looks great. He seems to love using Canon glass. That said, there are many current cameras that are good enough to help capture a compelling story. Many are holding out hope for a 1DC Mk2, personally I don't think it will happen. But if it does I hope it is something other than a 1DX Mk2 with a few more bells and whistles for $15k. Rather it should be a whole new animal. I think those expecting 8k will need to look elsewhere in the Canon line-up. Sony, Panasonic or BM are my bets for quasi affordable 8k that most here would consider actually buying.

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

Looks great. He seems to love using Canon glass. That said, there are many current cameras that are good enough to help capture a compelling story. Many are holding out hope for a 1DC Mk2, personally I don't think it will happen. But if it does I hope it is something other than a 1DX Mk2 with a few more bells and whistles for $15k. Rather it should be a whole new animal. I think those expecting 8k will need to look elsewhere in the Canon line-up. Sony, Panasonic or BM are my bets for quasi affordable 8k that most here would consider actually buying.

I would bet the farm that Blackmagic will be the one that will bring 8k out that people could actually afford to buy. You still have to remember how young of a company BM is, and now they have a lot of their camera products that are great right now and have been. And they can not be beat on their electronic products for the money.

If you can't still make a great movie on a BMPCC you need to give it up LoL. Probably one of the best video cameras ever made for a cine look, and it is cheap as hell.

Things I learned or got reminded of by this video as prosumer camera user.

1. Get your skin tones as close to perfect in the camera as you can and don't wait for post. White balance and tweak the picture profiles etc. 

2. Grade in your camera's native or raw format before transcoding. Makes a case for recording to ProRes if you plan to transcode to edit before grading.

3. Bad glass and poor or wrong filters can mess up the look of way skin reflects light.  Makes a case for straight ND as variable ND's can make an image look a little flat as they are made from polarizers that mess with reflections.

4. The sum is greater than it's parts - High res, slow motion video with great color/skin tones, low noise and high dynamic range is a hard combination to beat and something I and most other filmmakers want in their tool set.

51 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

4. The sum is greater than it's parts - High res, slow motion video with great color/skin tones, low noise and high dynamic range is a hard combination to beat and something I and most other filmmakers want in their tool set.

You know and I know ALL the top players could do 90% of this right now if they were not trying to protect their top end cameras. I have no clue why they think selling 5,000 top end items is equal to selling 500,000 products that are hard to tell apart from them that cost say $1,500.00. You know it can be done right now. Most of it is just that they are holding back on the top Codecs for the lower end stuff.

Maybe, hopefully the Panasonic GH5 will be the one that does it.

1 hour ago, majoraxis said:

Things I learned or got reminded of by this video as prosumer camera user.

1. Get your skin tones as close to perfect in the camera as you can and don't wait for post. White balance and tweak the picture profiles etc. 

Yes, yes, yes!

2. Grade in your camera's native or raw format before transcoding. Makes a case for recording to ProRes if you plan to transcode to edit before grading.

While I agree that with transcoding you will always end up with less information, with CPU unfriendly codecs you can grade proxies and use the original format for the final render without any major drawback. 

Content is the exception. It will always be greater that the sum of the rest...