The Panasonic GH5

Cary Knoop

Are you going to get the GH5?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to get the GH5?

• Pre order for me, can;t wait to get my hands on this one!
    • I wait a few months till we get some downward pricing pressure
    • I may in the future, I mostly have a wait and see attitude
    • I might jump on the MFT platform now
    • Not for me, the competition is not sleeping either

19 hours ago, wolf33d said:

The only thing I worry about is Sony. For sure in 2017 they will give us a A7S3 with GH5 specs (4K60p, 10 bits,...) But then again if it is A7 shitty ergonomics and so on I might as well stick with the GH5. I have the feeling that above M43 sensor for video you have to many constraints (like for exemple the stabilisation that is not effective on A7SII because of FF sensor size...) and cannot have a perfect photo and video body anyway (maybe 1Dx2 but too big, too costly, not the best in photo for my application, ..)

Will Sony however release GH5 specs??? I very strongly doubt it!!

Sony *still* hasn't caught up with GH4 specs from years ago! (No 10 bit out from any of their mirrorless cameras)

Personally I'll wait for the Panasonic G80,  which will have 95% of the GH5 specs 95% of the time for 50% of the cost!! ;-)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I hope the GH5 will have all the basic exposure features a modern camera should have. Not unnecessary limitations.

I also hope they add proper ergonomics custom options for video (Function button options for video menu items).

6k photo should have AFS and better NR (compared to GH4).

25 minutes ago, liork said:

How do you calculate that? is 8 bit video 95% of 10 bit video?

Depends on how you look at it... I'm  a horrible colorist, so 10 bit color just gives me more shades of RGB to mess up. Lol. But seriously, 10 bit is great, but it's still going to be 10 bit with a highly compressed codec, so I wouldn't expect it to be the Ark of the Covenant or anything...

Yup.

O0536ko.jpg

~ http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-ces-press-event-on-january-4th-with-lot-of-gh5-news/

So, again, that B&H slip-up is probably true, on the 4th you can pre-order the camera, meaning specs 'n prices (rumored to be E-M1 Mark II level, so around 1999,- EUR body only and around 2900,- with 12-60mm f/2.8-4 Leica zoom) will be availlable then.

But what actually won't be availlable is the camera itself (so no 'The rumor mill now indicates the GH5 will be available in January', 'Can't wait to get one!', well, you're going to have to). That's still due to be released in spring (March/April; a very probable rumor, the GH5 availability along with the new Leica f/2.8-4 zooms). http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/panasonic-gh5-price-specs-will-unveield-january-4th/ The assumption it would be here next month is wishful thinking and not even what the mirrorlessrumors collective (includes 43rumors) is saying. Just assumptions people make from misreading what it says and 'news'-outlets that put those kind of things in the title of their article (maybe to clickbait).

For the current official information just visit: http://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/lumix/gh5/ .

ljxbKek.png

4 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Sorry bro! :yum: Wish it was true tho! Now I'll still be tempted to give the E-M1 Mark II a spin first.

(Have both the GH4/E-M1 now anyways, one's excellent for video production style shooting, the other is a photography workhorse; might replace both with their respective successor)

That's it, I am going to get this and travel in time:

p025wvg8.jpg

:)

Just now, Cary Knoop said:

That's it, I am going to get this:

p025wvg8.jpg

:)

Uhhh. You're going to call the police saying the level of teasing Panasonic is doing to us is criminal?! Or are you going to steal a prototype and then call yourself in after having tested and shared the results?

;) jk, exterminate exterminate back to the future doctor!

2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Sorry bro! :yum: Wish it was true tho! Now I'll still be tempted to give the E-M1 Mark II a spin first.

(Have both the GH4/E-M1 now anyways, one's excellent for video production style shooting, the other is a photography workhorse; might replace both with their respective successor)

I've never found Oly any interesting on video side, well or must I say too much videoish, actually, instead? ;-)

20 hours ago, Vesku said:

GH5 4k 60P will probably be 150 Mbs like in DVX200 and other Pana 4k 60P camcorders.

I think that's the minimum we can expect, along with 4K60p being a 1:1 crop (like the GH4 4K is now).

None of which would be awful, but I am still hoping for no crop, and at least 200mbps- preferably 200mbps for 30p and 300-400mbps for 60p... and I think it could happen.

It seems pretty certain that 4K60p will definitely be 8-bit 4:2:0, which is again disappointing, but not the worst case.