The Panasonic GH5

Cary Knoop

Are you going to get the GH5?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to get the GH5?

• Pre order for me, can;t wait to get my hands on this one!
    • I wait a few months till we get some downward pricing pressure
    • I may in the future, I mostly have a wait and see attitude
    • I might jump on the MFT platform now
    • Not for me, the competition is not sleeping either

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, Cary Knoop said:

The rumor mill now indicates the GH5 will be available in January.

Can't wait to get one!

For all GH4, G85 or Gx85 owners, how quickly are you going to upgrade if at all?

What rumor is that? link please? The B&H pre-order date has been removed if that is what you meant. Could still happen though...

Pre-order for me as soon as possible too!

They say here that according to "trusted sources" that the GH5 will be shipping in early spring. (Bhttp://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-target-is-to-ship-the-gh5-in-marchapril/) Between that and the pre order mess up, and the proximity to the pre order date (the most accurate rumors usually come closest to announcement dates) and 43rumors' track record I would say that there's a pretty good chance that it's true. 

Now of course I wouldn't bet my life on something like this, but it seems to me that the odds are pretty good. 

It wont be available in Jan. It will be up for preorders in Jan then ship later, probably march. 

Since it is not available before march, and I have a trip in patagonia in February, I purchased a GX85 in the meantime. Plan to get the 12-35mm and 42.5 1.7 and will just sell the body when GH5 arrives. Deal I got is insane. GX85 + 12-32 + 45-150 + 100$ gift card for 699$. Re selling everything could even give me profit. 

The only thing I worry about is Sony. For sure in 2017 they will give us a A7S3 with GH5 specs (4K60p, 10 bits,...) But then again if it is A7 shitty ergonomics and so on I might as well stick with the GH5. I have the feeling that above M43 sensor for video you have to many constraints (like for exemple the stabilisation that is not effective on A7SII because of FF sensor size...) and cannot have a perfect photo and video body anyway (maybe 1Dx2 but too big, too costly, not the best in photo for my application, ..)

2 hours ago, Cary Knoop said:

That's why it is a rumor not a fact. :)

Ok, I've got a rumor. First 500 units are free. Please pre-order thru the link to have a chance!

3 hours ago, John_Harrison said:

They say here that according to "trusted sources" that the GH5 will be shipping in early spring. (Bhttp://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-target-is-to-ship-the-gh5-in-marchapril/) Between that and the pre order mess up, and the proximity to the pre order date (the most accurate rumors usually come closest to announcement dates) and 43rumors' track record I would say that there's a pretty good chance that it's true. 

Now of course I wouldn't bet my life on something like this, but it seems to me that the odds are pretty good. 

Yes, I agree on spring likely being true. I do not agree on January. There's seriously nothing to support actual availability by then. That's not even a rumor anymore, it's just something that people want to be true. Doesn't mean it is. Anyways. Not a good idea to pre-order anything in the first place.

10 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Not a good idea to pre-order anything in the first place.

Why not?  As long as you order from a reputable company like B&H or Adorama there is no issue, and, you get your camera first instead of waiting after the first batch goes out of stock!

Do I take it you are not very ecstatic about the coming GH5? :)

I am. Just. Sometimes another place has it In stock faster. Sometimes, it is not what it seems. Glad I didn't pre-order the Sony A6300. I pre-ordered the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera because of the global shutter... which it ultimately didn't ship with. And... 'don't try this at home. We try it, so you don't have to'. Exactly as some folks have already mentioned, best to just wait it out an see what it's actually about. Just my 2cts.

11 hours ago, wolf33d said:

The only thing I worry about is Sony. For sure in 2017 they will give us a A7S3 with GH5 specs (4K60p, 10 bits,...) But then again if it is A7 shitty ergonomics and so on I might as well stick with the GH5. I have the feeling that above M43 sensor for video you have to many constraints (like for exemple the stabilisation that is not effective on A7SII because of FF sensor size...) and cannot have a perfect photo and video body anyway (maybe 1Dx2 but too big, too costly, not the best in photo for my application, ..)

Noooo way will Sony give us 10bit in an A7-series. They have to protect their video cameras. 

4K60, yea, sure, probably. But can their processors handle it without melting the camera? And will they squash it into 100mbps? I think so.