Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
35 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Pity I can't edit my post to say internal 4K, but I assumed most people get what I mean. Especially as on this same page that 4K with an Atomos was already discussed with the a7S

Yeah we have gained quite a few new members because of the Fuji X-T3, and the PK4, Z7, Z6, EOS-R, etc.. So I just wanted to "Inform" some who may not realize it can do 4K. There are a heck of a lot of cameras out now in the last 5, 6 years. And a lot of them amazingly good yet to this day. Especially if you Don't need 4K. Some real true Cine cameras buys out there Like your Sony PMW F3.

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah we have gained quite a few new members because of the Fuji X-T3, and the PK4, Z7, Z6, EOS-R, etc.. So I just wanted to "Inform" some who may not realize it can do 4K. There are a heck of a lot of cameras out now in the last 5, 6 years. And a lot of them amazingly good yet to this day. Especially if you Don't need 4K. Some real true Cine cameras buys out there Like your Sony PMW F3.

Definitely. Heck, one of my good friends from film school is still shooting with his old Canon T3i after all these years and another friend of mine is looking at getting the a6000 as his next camera. And admittedly I'm more the type to look at the latest cameras and what's coming out, so I probably don't think enough about older cameras as often as I should. 

For now, my camera is the G85. I don't plan on selling it anytime soon and even when the time comes that I do buy another camera (be it an old a7s, an NX1, a new X-T3 or Z6), I'll probably keep the G85 as a secondary/backup camera in case of emergencies.

That said, whatever my next camera will be, I don't think I'll be sticking with M43 after this. The sensor/mount definitely have their advantages and all, but I think I'd probably be wiser to look for something that's either APS-C or full frame for better low light performance overall. Whatever M43 lenses I get will just be for the G85. 

The really awesome thing will be 6 years from now when the XT3, A7III, EOS R, etc... are all outdated and much cheaper.

I am not really big on 4k, the bigger things for me are 10 bit log, and PDAF which aren't found too much in older cameras. I had the Sony F3, but found out I really liked the SLR form factor better and wanted auto focus.

Speaking of 1080 cameras with PDAF, the Canon 70d is a pretty good deal used these days. Tempting.

On 10/27/2018 at 6:08 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

I had the Sony F3, but found out I really liked the SLR form factor better and wanted auto focus.

I can live without AF. 
Ideally the future "GH6" or whatever will have not only a TC input with full size SDI output, but also a mini SDI output (with user LUTs which can be applied to it), and built in eNDs. That would be a dream like camera for me. 

On 10/27/2018 at 2:08 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

The really awesome thing will be 6 years from now when the XT3, A7III, EOS R, etc... are all outdated and much cheaper.

I am not really big on 4k, the bigger things for me are 10 bit log, and PDAF which aren't found too much in older cameras. I had the Sony F3, but found out I really liked the SLR form factor better and wanted auto focus.

Speaking of 1080 cameras with PDAF, the Canon 70d is a pretty good deal used these days. Tempting.

I dig 4K a lot because even if I don't typically need it, that extra resolution helps result in cleaner 1080p footage when I downscale to that. 

BTW, I'm in the process of debating on what lens to get. Initially I was thinking of getting a native M43 lens, but after my Helios ended up single-handedly saving my first video project for my gig I've mentioned in here before, I think it'd probably be better for me to look at other (and faster) vintage lenses on eBay to adapt to my G85 instead. Still looking at options under that $150-200 price range, preferably underneath $100 too if at all possible. 

So far I've seen a ton of fast Nifty Fifties like the Canon FD, the Nikkor Non-AI, the Super Takumars and various Minolta Rokkors... but I'm not sure which option would be the best overall. Can anyone provide feedback for that?

Since I don't have a speedbooster right now, I'm cool with getting another faster Fifty over my Helios so that I'll have a somewhat easier time shooting in low light for the upcoming videos. 

9 hours ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

I dig 4K a lot because even if I don't typically need it, that extra resolution helps result in cleaner 1080p footage when I downscale to that. 

BTW, I'm in the process of debating on what lens to get. Initially I was thinking of getting a native M43 lens, but after my Helios ended up single-handedly saving my first video project for my gig I've mentioned in here before, I think it'd probably be better for me to look at other (and faster) vintage lenses on eBay to adapt to my G85 instead. Still looking at options under that $150-200 price range, preferably underneath $100 too if at all possible. 

So far I've seen a ton of fast Nifty Fifties like the Canon FD, the Nikkor Non-AI, the Super Takumars and various Minolta Rokkors... but I'm not sure which option would be the best overall. Can anyone provide feedback for that?

Since I don't have a speedbooster right now, I'm cool with getting another faster Fifty over my Helios so that I'll have a somewhat easier time shooting in low light for the upcoming videos. 

I'd definitely suggest a speedbooster to make full use of vintage lenses. Lens turbo's are great and pretty cheap too. Worth it for the extra stop of light and wider Field of view.

Minolta lenses are really nice. The 35mm 1.8, 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, and 128mm 2.8 makes a great set. You can find all of these lenses under $200 usually (some as cheap as $60).

Canon, Nikon, and Minolta are all great bets though.

I regularly use an m42 mount Asahi Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 which cost $50 or so with one of those $100 eBay speed boosters for both photo and video on my G85 and it's pretty wonderful tbh... Might suit your requirements too.

Definitely not sharp across the board wide open but it's more than acceptable in the centre, and for me it's sort of like a portrait FOV so I typically put my subject in the centre anyway. Manual focusing is easy enough with peaking. G85's stabilisation works amazingly even at this relatively tele focal length, just gotta set it to 35mm when you start it up and honestly it looks like a gimble.

Stopped down to 2.8 or so it sharpens up significantly but I shoot mainly badly lit underground live music so scooping up as much light as possible is really important. I'd rather stick to ISO 1600 and lose a bit of side sharpness on 1.4 because 3200 is just a bit too noisy and gets turned to mush when it goes through YouTube compression.

Not sure about wider vintage lenses though, since I only have an m42 mount speed booster and I couldn't really find any fast and wide vintage lenses, so I just use modern ones for that.

19 hours ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

Or a Sony PMW-F3 or Sony a7S etc which are already really clean at 1080 without needing downscaling ?

I'm keen on Nikon F mount lenses because of their good value / quality and maximal ability to be adapted to absolutely anything. 

I assume you mean a Helios 58mm f/2

A 50mm f1.8 is barely faster at all, a teeny difference. 

While a 50mm f1.4 will cost quite a bit more (and a f1.2 will cost a *LOT* more!), but at least it will give you a whole stop more of light. However.. that is "only" one stop more of light. Would this be the smartest choice for your next lens? Or would getting say a 35mm f2 or a 135mm f2 be a more useful addition to your kit instead?

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Or a Sony PMW-F3 or Sony a7S etc which are already really clean at 1080 without needing downscaling ?

I'm keen on Nikon F mount lenses because of their good value / quality and maximal ability to be adapted to absolutely anything.

I assume you mean a Helios 58mm f/2

A 50mm f1.8 is barely faster at all, a teeny difference. 

While a 50mm f1.4 will cost quite a bit more (and a f1.2 will cost a *LOT* more!), but at least it will give you a whole stop more of light. However.. that is "only" one stop more of light. Would this be the smartest choice for your next lens? Or would getting say a 35mm f2 or a 135mm f2 be a more useful addition to your kit instead?

True. And I've been thinking more and more about the a7S as an option moving forward... but that'd probably be at least a good six months or more away from now if I go that route. 

That was my thought initially too...

Ultimately I went with a Minolta Rokkor PG 50mm f1.4. I also found a possibly affordable focal reducer adapter at a reasonable enough price for me to consider going that route, so that might end up being helpful too.

While the Rokkor 50mm is not a very different focal length compared to my Helios 58mm f2, I really want to make sure I have a lens that can help with low light conditions at least a bit on my G85. I'll inevitably pick up a 35mm of some sort soon, as well as an 85mm and 135mm... but with the massive crop on my G85 and the nature of my current gigs, I think sticking around the 50mm focal length is a decent option right now since the crop will give me a telephoto reach, even if I get the focal reducer. 

3 hours ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

True. And I've been thinking more and more about the a7S as an option moving forward... but that'd probably be at least a good six months or more away from now if I go that route

Oh I half put the a7S there as a joke! Don't swap to it from a Panasonic G85 instead. 

3 hours ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

Ultimately I went with a Minolta Rokkor PG 50mm f1.4. I also found a possibly affordable focal reducer adapter at a reasonable enough price for me to consider going that route, so that might end up being helpful too.

Which one?

It is worth asking around which is the best Chinese focal reducer at the moment. 

I think it might be Viltrox?

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Oh I half put the a7S there as a joke! Don't swap to it from a Panasonic G85 instead. 

Which one?

It is worth asking around which is the best Chinese focal reducer at the moment. 

I think it might be Viltrox?

Oh trust me, I won't be getting rid of my G85 anytime soon. If I get the a7S, I'll be keeping my G85 too for when I need a backup camera or if a gig requires me to shoot in 4K for some reason. 

I got the Pixco Focal Reducer. Cheap and I have no expectations of it being the best, but someone was selling theirs for around $50, which was actually in my immediate price range as opposed to other speedboosters typically priced $80 or more. Between the focal reducer and the Minolta, I spent around $130 total. A bit pricey for me, but reasonable enough for the moment. 

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I'd suggest Lens Turbo, they might cost a tad bit more but its worth it. Pretty close to metabones as far as sharpness goes. If you are going the manual focus route that is, no electronic contacts. 

I might get another speedbooster down the line, but I already bought the Pixco for now. And again, I don't have much money- the thirty dollar difference between Pixco's usual $80 price tag and the $50 I spent for mine is what made me bother with getting a speedbooster at all right now. 

• 3 weeks later...