Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, mercer said:

I liked the SLR Magic 17mm and 35mm. And the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm and 21mm cine lenses were pretty nice looking as well.

Yeah, I've heard great things about all of those lenses too!

I will say the lenses I'm most interested in getting if I say "Screw it" and get a bunch of native M43 lenses are the Voigtlander f0.95 line. The 17.5mm in particular just has this look about it that reminds me a LOT of classic 70's cinema, which I adore. Definitely pricier than the Olympus 17mm though...

So I'm almost finished with post on a horror feature that i shot with the A7iii and couldn't resist  checking out the X-T3. So I've  been  trying to decide whether to sell the Sony or send back the Fuji. Both are great. But I also realized that a couple gx85s or one gx85 and one g85 would be about right for my next project. So while contemplating these options today, I find this resuscitated thread. Maybe it's a sign...

17 minutes ago, Thomas Hill said:

So I'm almost finished with post on a horror feature that i shot with the A7iii and couldn't resist  checking out the X-T3. So I've  been  trying to decide whether to sell the Sony or send back the Fuji. Both are great. But I also realized that a couple gx85s or one gx85 and one g85 would be about right for my next project. So while contemplating these options today, I find this resuscitated thread. Maybe it's a sign...

You aren't @MERCER secret lost brother or sister are you?? This changing thing looks familiar LoL.

39 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah, I’m starting to get antsy. I doubt I’ll ever sell that thing. But there are just so many cameras around that I want to try. Oh well.

Same here. If i could afford to own instead of rent that Sony 16-35/2.8 I used on the feature, the A7iii would probably be my 5D3. I swear that one has a more filmic, less digital rendering than any other digital lens I've used.

And just so i could stay on topic, a gx85 is on its way. Decisions will be made next week (because the cc payment is due soon).

17 minutes ago, Thomas Hill said:

Same here. If i could afford to own instead of rent that Sony 16-35/2.8 I used on the feature, the A7iii would probably be my 5D3. I swear that one has a more filmic, less digital rendering than any other digital lens I've used.

And just so i could stay on topic, a gx85 is on its way. Decisions will be made next week (because the cc payment is due soon).

A GX85 or the G85? I have the 16-35 f4.0. Hmm interesting that it is that much different. Have to look on the web for comparisons. The copy I have is damn good but not great. My 28-70mm, now that one is a great copy.

38 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

A GX85 or the G85? I have the 16-35 f4.0. Hmm interesting that it is that much different. Have to look on the web for comparisons. The copy I have is damn good but not great. My 28-70mm, now that one is a great copy.

GX. If I like the IQ, I'll have it as b-cam and get a G to go with it. 

I rented the 16-35/2.8 for the 9 day shoot then got the 24-70/2.8 for a couple reshoots and i could tell a difference. Maybe I got a "bad" copy from lensrentals.com or I need to find out what kind of uv filter they put on the 16-35.

1 hour ago, Thomas Hill said:

Fun little camera... Don’t forget the CineLikeD hack. 

Yep, In Their Eyes, the horror flick that's in post now, was shot almost entirely handheld with Sony ibis and the 16-35/2.8. I had the A7iii attached to a dual hand grip bar thing that helped me keep it as steady as I could, especially during movements.

The next one is a thriller with a good ol' criminal mastermind/hacker spying on people and will be 85% or so locked-down shots made to look like hidden camera footage, which is why I'm thinking a $500 4k shooter like a gx85 or g85 or (after Andrew's latest) e-m10iii will do the job just fine. Finding an office for the primary location is a much bigger hurdle than deciding on a camera.

But in general, I'm a firm believer that the cameras available now are more than good enough for whatever we can dream up in the low-budget indie world. And I haven't even explored BM and ML Canon raw like you have.

Don't want to hijack the thread so feel free to holler at me via dm.

On 10/5/2018 at 5:12 AM, mercer said:

It’s also the form factor. The GX85 is more of a rangefinder shape and the G85 is more DSLR shapes. Also the G85 has a better build quality. And it comes with CineLikeD and CineLikeV.

Hey Glenn, I imagined the G85 to have that solid GH5 buit. I went to a store to observe my 8bit dream camera again. Having been using the GX85 for quiet a while now I was a bit shocked (strong word, so a tiny little bit so) how much less quality like it felt to hold in hand compared to my GX85. Maybe I tricked myself by too high expectations. GX85 is a marvel to touch, just if its body was only a bit higher and the EVF as good as on the G7. Well, guess I gonna go to the store again and check out the G85 another time, again:)