Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/26/2017 at 3:06 PM, jase said:

I second that. Although I can only speak for the GX80, the colors look WAY better with -2/3 exposure. One should not take the camera's LCD to judge exposure, it looks quite dark, but on the computer much better and there is plenty of room to lift the mids if needed. I think from now on I will always shoot with -2/3 except in low light.

UPDATE : I confirmed in my test that and research online that the cine curves white point are at 90 ire (90 % zebras). Anything below that 90 IRE fits in the curve and above that the s-curve/highlight compression kicks in and causes weird distortion in color. 90% white point roughly falls in the 2/3 -1 underexposure range so we were on the money

also cinelike d has no highlight compression at the top of the curve so it makes sense as to why the highlight and color clippings looks weird. The 90 ire rule applies to cined as well

@webrunner5 Thanks for pointing me in the direction of dvxuser man. @Inazuma Thanks for being my best critic.

I went ahead and purchased the Leeming LUT today and shot a quick video out in my neighborhood. In usual Jon style, I just color balanced by eye. I did not expose to the right, but will definitely do so the next time. I'd been using all kinds of LUTs for several years, it was tons of work, the colors were never to my satisfaction, which is why for the past couple of months I'd been working at getting the best results I could from Standard profile. But it was still too contrasty and the colors were off. I did no grading at all on this video, just the third clip, I raised midtones by four in FCP. I dropped a LUT on it and sent it on its way to YouTube. So, this LUT accords well with my philosophy in life, which is to do as little as possible :) . Safari seems to be adding an orange cast to my skin which I swear is not there in the master file (except when I pass through the darker parts of the alley).

52 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@webrunner5 Thanks for pointing me in the direction of dvxuser man. @Inazuma Thanks for being my best critic.

I went ahead and purchased the Leeming LUT today and shot a quick video out in my neighborhood. In usual Jon style, I just color balanced by eye. I did not expose to the right, but will definitely do so the next time. I'd been using all kinds of LUTs for several years, it was tons of work, the colors were never to my satisfaction, which is why for the past couple of months I'd been working at getting the best results I could from Standard profile. But it was still too contrasty and the colors were off. I did no grading at all on this video, just the third clip, I raised midtones by four in FCP. I dropped a LUT on it and sent it on its way to YouTube. So, this LUT accords well with my philosophy in life, which is to do as little as possible :) . Safari seems to be adding an orange cast to my skin which I swear is not there in the master file (except when I pass through the darker parts of the alley).

Wow, that LuT is a Big improvement color wise. Maybe you are a touch on the darker side, but better safe than sorry on that part. Well done.

Glad you are able to take advantage of his LuT. That guy is a real asset on that site. He is a wiz kid I guess LoL. Really nice to see your neighborhood.

DVXuser is a killer place for information. A lot of talented people on that site. And I have never seen a angry post on there. Pretty amazing for that alone.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Matthew Capowski said:

@jonpais Thanks for sharing the gimbal video.  Did you just manually set the focus before shooting?  @webrunner5 I saw Paul write in a post somewhere that the results are supposed to be darker (to preserve some aspect of the image) but the brightness can be pulled up in post.

Some shots were manually focused, others I used touch or tap to focus. Now, I'm pretty much using touch focus all the time, but I still check to make sure it's sharp in playback before moving on. I made the mistake of editing the video at night, so it did turn out way too dark, I'll be uploading a new one soon. BTW, I just got a RodeLink wireless mic, it works much better for me than the Rode VideoMic Pro. I'm also using a GorillaPod for vlogging outdoors, much simpler to work with, more versatile, and requires no balancing. ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Andrew, I had the chance to use the e-m5 Mark ii this week and I was blown away by the IBIS. IMO, compared to the GX85, it was Night and Day. Also I really enjoyed the organic color and feel to the Olympus footage but it did lack the resolution I am looking for in a second camera. I already have 1080p Raw with my 5D3, so I see no reason to have 1080p as the only option in a 2nd camera.

I know you've been using the e-m1mkii lately and seem pretty fond of it. Does your opinion still hold true between the em1mk2 and the G85?

I agree with your recent ponderings between the GH5 and em1mk2... at least from the footage I have seen.

Also, I think the e-m1mk2's Raw burst feature could be beneficial with the 5D3 for short B-Unit close ups. With similar lenses and a little practice, I'm fairly sure I can get the two to match.

Now since the body only G85 has been discontinued, there is a slightly smaller price gap between the two, so I'm curious what your feelings are today after using both cameras for the past few months.

Hey Glenn, @mercer, you must put Andrew at @Andrew Reid, so he can recognize your question better. I´m also very interested

in that question :) I takes quiet some practice to get smooth movements other than tilts n pans and 3 feet push ins with the GX85.

I´ve been practicing quiet a bit and it is kinda edgy. Using it with a cage and a rubber band, which helps a lot.

26 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Glenn, @mercer, you must put Andrew at @Andrew Reid, so he can recognize your question better. I´m also very interested

in that question :) I takes quiet some practice to get smooth movements other than tilts n pans and 3 feet push ins with the GX85.

I´ve been practicing quiet a bit and it is kinda edgy. Using it with a cage and a rubber band, which helps a lot.

Yeah the GX85 is good for steady locked down shots, if you don't mind the floaty look. And you can do some slight pans and tilts. I am looking for something better than what I did in this GX85 video... but if I have to, I can definitely be happy with this. With the e-m5mk2, my results were better than this...

• 2 months later...

I've seen quite a lot of people in here combating the idea of turning down the contrast level in the g85 profile. I will however say that since I am moving from a BMPCC (partly because of battery life and slow motion), that the overall image coming from the g85 seems much more contrasty by default than the GH4, I think the high contrast can sometimes make the video look way too videoish and harsh, so I did some research. I will never change the fact that shooting at a low contrast will increase noise, but I'd personally rather have to clean the image a bit than to be locked with a very high contrast image. 

I found this video of someone grading a low contrast profile with good, smooth looking results. It will not look good out the the box, but with a lut or mindful color grading, the options of the looks are much better. I know that this is an 8bit camera, but I believe, that as long as you aren't overly optimistic with your exposure, you will come to a more cinematic result, with more natural highlights and a balanced picture. :) 

Looking at the Gh4 footage before grading will show what I mean about the lower contrast out the camera. 

Cheers!

Well, with grading you're going to put a lot of contrast back in the bitch. The problem is, that leaving your contrast alone, you really need to be careful about your highlights, because nothing says 'video' as much as blown out highlights (and overly sharp footage, iffy colors, overly vivid saturation, very deep depth of field, aren't really helping you to sell a filmlook to the audience either). So manage your highlights and leave toning the contrast down to a more advanced grading process in post rather than the in-camera one. As EOSHD Pro Color for Panasonic has shown, this gives you better tonality/nuances in your color. LOG is the real deal, with simple picture styles/profiles... be a little more cautious. Been hearing a lot of good things about Nikon Flat, though. Probably that works well because its color is pretty thick 'n sweet to begin with, so it's not really trading anything in to get a tiny bit more apparent dynamic range out of a high contrast scene. Panasonic color has gotten better over time, but it's still very thin, it should have a label with 'handle with care' on it. Especially at the higher sensitivities where it really seems to favor orange/greens.

Really hope they're going to get into sensor advancements soon where every pixel can be read out individually with a sensitivity from say ISO25-1638400. Keeping all that information, no blows, no crushes! Except the crush you have on that new tech that blows you away! :grin:

8 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Hey guys

Just got the G80 (well, two of them actually).

When using the WiFi feature to record/monitor, the camera's screen turns off after a minute and I'm unable to bring it back on. Is there a way to stop this??

No. That is, not unless BTM_Pix has a workaround. ?