Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, dantheman said:

Would the same apply for the 0,71 ultra? Do you know what the reason is why there is a sensor shift only on cropped lenses but not on full frame? 

The 0.71 should work fine 

As far as the xl is concerned Since the sensor physically moves during ibis you end up shooting the extreme corners of the lens which causes the weird vignetting

Max Yuryev's complete review of the Olympus OMD E-M1 Mark II. Some of his conclusions: much lower bit rates than advertised, unreliable AWB, no real flat profile, no center weighted or spot metering in video mode, dynamic range limited, worse low light performance than the G85, can't trust the AF-C, audio preamps the worst he's ever heard.

47 minutes ago, jonpais said:

lower bit rates than advertised, unreliable AWB, no real flat profile, no center weighted or spot metering in video mode, dynamic range limited, worse low light performance than the G85, can't trust the AF-C, audio preamps the worst he's ever heard.

Don't forget, the moire.  That's still there too.  Yeah, all the issues of my EM5II, 'cept the new Oly shoots 4K.

Weird thing is, even with all those flaws on my EM5II, I still use that camera the most; learned to work with the video limitations.  Luckily, I've found the pre-amps to be decent enough and acceptable when combined with a sennheiser ew100 wireless kit.

I think I'll be in the market for the EM1MII a few months down the road as my next doc starts...if/when the price drops.  Not because it's the best, but because Olympus models seem to appeal to me for ergos.  If the IQ was wildly inferior I wouldn't consider it, but I do find the image acceptable.  And that IBIS is crazy.  So we'll see.  Oly or Pany at this point.

21 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Don't forget, the moire.  That's still there too.  Yeah, all the issues of my EM5II, 'cept the new Oly shoots 4K.

Weird thing is, even with all those flaws on my EM5II, I still use that camera the most; learned to work with the video limitations.  Luckily, I've found the pre-amps to be decent enough and acceptable when combined with a sennheiser ew100 wireless kit.

I think I'll be in the market for the EM1MII a few months down the road as my next doc starts...if/when the price drops.  Not because it's the best, but because Olympus models seem to appeal to me for ergos.  If the IQ was wildly inferior I wouldn't consider it, but I do find the image acceptable.  And that IBIS is crazy.  So we'll see.  Oly or Pany at this point.

Everyone knows or should know, there's much more to a camera than image quality alone. The menus, ergonomics, lens ecosystem and even style. If I were to choose a camera costing $2,000 or less for image quality alone, I'd purchase a Fuji, Sony or even a BMPCC. The reason I choose Panasonic is because it's extremely easy for me to use (I actually have the X-T2, but I end up shooting more with the Panasonic). And if Olympus works for you, great.

35 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Everyone knows or should know, there's much more to a camera than image quality alone. The menus, ergonomics, lens ecosystem and even style. If I were to choose a camera costing $2,000 or less for image quality alone, I'd purchase a Fuji, Sony or even a BMPCC. The reason I choose Panasonic is because it's extremely easy for me to use (I actually have the X-T2, but I end up shooting more with the Panasonic). And if Olympus works for you, great.

Indeed.  It suits my run/gun doc stuff quite well.  Pany does as well, but the Oly feels more comfortable for the long haul.  Of course, the gx85 is cheap too.  Best value for $ I can think of right now.  

--And I do like shooting stills on the Olympus and the X-pro2.  On the other hand, I took out the Fuji the other day for some motion picture shooting just for the heck of it, so it must be growing on me.

On 3/13/2017 at 5:22 PM, fuzzynormal said:

Indeed.  It suits my run/gun doc stuff quite well.  Pany does as well, but the Oly feels more comfortable for the long haul.  Of course, the gx85 is cheap too.  Best value for $ I can think of right now.  

--And I do like shooting stills on the Olympus and the X-pro2.  On the other hand, I took out the Fuji the other day for some motion picture shooting just for the heck of it, so it must be growing on me.

I'm shooting a documentary right now with 2 GX80 (mostly school-type events), and other than the EVF being difficult to focus with and no punch-in magnification during recording, they are great, small, unobtrusive tools and I like the image quality.  The clients and teachers have commented on how they forget that I'm there most of the time and I can fit an entire mobile recording studio including two tripods, a monopod and audio stuff in a backpack with lots of room to spare.  The Olympus does have better IBIS, but the GX80 is pretty good too unless you are using a wide lens (distortion wobble) or move jerkily.

I switch between the Voigtlander 17.5/42.5 combo, the PL15/1.7 + Olympus 75.1.8, or the Panasonic 2.8 zooms depending on how much space I have, light, or how fast things are moving.  I've been really considering replacing the Voigtlanders with the PL12/1.4 and PL42.5/1.2 as it is so much easier to ensure focus with the back button...  but then I look at the images.

• Administrators

Not watched Max Yuryev's video but it seems like he craptalks the E-M1 II a lot in it.

The 4K picture is superb. Moire? Is he talking about the 1080p?

The dynamic range is also very good with the flat picture profile.

Worse low light than G85 - again doesn't correlate to what I see at all.

Can't trust the AF-C - well you can't on anything.

As for the codec I guess he doesn't understand how VBR works and hence a lot of other cameras with a H.264 codec.

This camera has a ton of positives -

Very good image quality in 4K.

Nicer feeling body than the GH5, feels better built as well.

Best rolling shutter and best stabilisation performance on the market.

Ergonomics for video work nicely even though it's primarily a stills camera.

Superb colour

Superb skintones

Excellent codec

Very big EVF

Amazing battery life

Amazing stills features like 60fps RAW bursts at 20MP and very good AF (for stills)

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Not watched Max Yuryev's video but it seems like he craptalks the E-M1 II a lot in it.

The 4K picture is superb. Moire? Is he talking about the 1080p?

The dynamic range is also very good with the flat picture profile.

Worse low light than G85 - again doesn't correlate to what I see at all.

Can't trust the AF-C - well you can't on anything.

As for the codec I guess he doesn't understand how VBR works and hence a lot of other cameras with a H.264 codec.

This camera has a ton of positives -

Very good image quality in 4K.

Nicer feeling body than the GH5, feels better built as well.

Best rolling shutter and best stabilisation performance on the market.

Ergonomics for video work nicely even though it's primarily a stills camera.

Superb colour

Superb skintones

Excellent codec

Very big EVF

Amazing battery life

Amazing stills features like 60fps RAW bursts at 20MP and very good AF (for stills)

To be fair, he does point out most of the positive points you mention in his video. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I have purchased a Panasonic G85 with few different lenses like PL 42.5mm Nocticron f1.2, PL 15mm f1.7, Pana 7-14mm f4.0 and Pana 12-60mm f3.5-5.6

I am taking great photos after learning extensively about photography and manual settings in general but trying to get good at video. Have a major Europe trip coming up and was wondering what the recommended go to video settings recommended post production before LUT's should be applied? Which model to capture videos in, focus settings etc? Planning to shoot in 4K 24fps. I am looking at getting the final video to look cinematic. Thanks!

2 hours ago, technoguy said:

Hi. I have purchased a Panasonic G85 with few different lenses like PL 42.5mm Nocticron f1.2, PL 15mm f1.7, Pana 7-14mm f4.0 and Pana 12-60mm f3.5-5.6

I am taking great photos after learning extensively about photography and manual settings in general but trying to get good at video. Have a major Europe trip coming up and was wondering what the recommended go to video settings recommended post production before LUT's should be applied? Which model to capture videos in, focus settings etc? Planning to shoot in 4K 24fps. I am looking at getting the final video to look cinematic. Thanks!

Try to use everything manual, like you do in stills.

Natural all -5 gives you a nice image with great skin tones out of cam.

If you want to color correct further, try Cine D.

Avoid autofocus, and the "focus hunting".

Try to manual white balance each scene with a grey card.

Try to keep 180° rule, specially in fast scenes or if you are doing slow motion in post.

Keep camera steady. Use tripod.

Camera movements is a plus. If you can use a fluid head, slider or glidecams.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Thanks Grimor. Was using Standard with -5 Noise Reduction, -5 Sharpness, -2 Contrast and 0 Saturation and manual focus with Zhiyun 3 Axis Crane. Will try it with Natural. Should I make Contrast and Saturation -5 as well? Can colour correct or post LUT's be applied on Natural, Cine V and Standard modes?

20 hours ago, Grimor said:

You always can ad contrast and saturation in post.

Try to get your image you want out of the cam for color correct as less as posible. 

Rule number one in my book. I hear many talking about codecs breaking up under extreme grading, but I've watched dozens upon dozens of grading tutorials by experienced colorists and have yet to see any do an 'extreme' grade. The cameraman should be getting as close to their vision in camera as possible, and the best cinematographers don't want the colorist messing around with that.  I don't even like photos where it's obvious that everything was done in post, they just look phony.