Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, rooney111 said:

Hi, Thanks for that link. Very informative video by Max.

Almost seems like he didn't turn on the IBIS on Sony when the footage from all 3 cameras are compared side by side. Not sure if Oly IBIS is that much better or Sony IBIS is almost as good as non existent. Hmm..

I have both the GX85 and the A6500 and I find them to be equivocal. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, mercer said:

Damn autocorrect... equivalent. 

Is it actually equivalent? If you are right, then Max is wrong. If Max is correct then you could be border line wrong or Max had a bad copy because he literally says Sony 6500 IBIS is nowhere comparable to rest of the two.

2 hours ago, rooney111 said:

Is it actually equivalent? If you are right, then Max is wrong. If Max is correct then you could be border line wrong or Max had a bad copy because he literally says Sony 6500 IBIS is nowhere comparable to rest of the two.

In any case, I would never walk and shoot with any of these cameras without a gimbal, unless I were intentionally going for an agitated look, which I do on occasion. 

7 hours ago, rooney111 said:

I'm probably wrong, I'm not questioning the man's integrity, just sharing my experiences with both cameras...

I didn't do a side by side, but with the GX85 there are times when I still have to concentrate on keeping it steady, I didn't have to do it with the A6500. I only used a 28mm with the a6500, so maybe that made the difference.

As Jon wrote, I wouldn't walk with either of them, but you can do some side shifting and panning with both. You can go a little faster with the GX85, due to it's better rolling shutter.

Sony only uses 3 Axis IS when using non natives, vs full 5 axis when using non native on M43 body.

You can do walks with just handheld, ninja walk, trained arm and warp stabilizer works wonders, not as good as gimbal (especially for long distance) but close enough

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Sony only uses 3 Axis IS when using non natives, vs full 5 axis when using non native on M43 body.

You can do walks with just handheld, ninja walk, trained arm and warp stabilizer works wonders, not as good as gimbal (especially for long distance) but close enough

I'll have to read about it again, but before buying the a6500 I took it that when using an OSS lens, the body does 3-axis and the lens handles two, but when using a non stabilized lens, the body does the 5-axis... but I could be wrong. 

Found this diagram that explains Sony's 5-axis...

IMG_0869.JPG

7 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

It should be the same regardless, only 5 Axis with Sony lens, well that my experience with A7SII A7RII, less stable using adapted Canon lens than Sony native

On the Sony site it states it is more optimal with a native lens that has OSS... just as Dual IS works better with Panasonic.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

On the Sony site it states it is more optimal with a native lens that has OSS... just as Dual IS works better with Panasonic.

True, but then again IS on the A7 seems weak to me, not sure about A6500  Olympus is definitely the most stable now that I got e-m5 ii to play with.

48 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

True, but then again IS on the A7 seems weak to me, not sure about A6500  Olympus is definitely the most stable now that I got e-m5 ii to play with.

Did you make an optimal primes joke earlier and deleted it? ?

Actually, in your earliest post on the topic, I thought you were specifically referring to the a6500, when you actually wrote just Sony... and I can only speak for the a6500. 

I've never used an Olympus but from what I've seen, the IBID does look excellent. I will admit, I was tempted by the E-M5 mkii after seeing John Brawley's video last summer.

Hey to you all! This is my first post here so...be nice to me! :) I have a Nikon D5300 and i only use it to record video. I have two kit lenses 18-55 and 55-200 and two primes 28mm F2.8 series E and 50mm 1.8 series E (i never needed more glass to be honest so i didnt invest in other altough i was thinking on buying the sigma 17-50 2.8). I love the image that this camera can produce (i use Flaat_11) but it is a NIGHTMARE to use it while filming....grrrr. Im thinking about getting a G80/G85. So my question is: as long as i want to keep my primes (i like the seres e) is it worth it to buy with the kit lens (12-60)? (im going to sell the zooms and the nikon body)  What you guys think if i buy a focal reducer Nikon-M43 and use it (in the future as well) with only Nikon glass? Thanks in advance guys.

For anyone who's interested, I posted a very short test of the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 on the Lumix G85 over in lenses.

Edit: The more I use this camera, especially with stupendously great lenses like the Olympus 75mm, the more I'm realizing I really have little to no dissatisfaction with it whatsoever: it delivers good color and very pleasing skin tones right out of the box, the EVF is large and bright, it's compact as heck, the 4K images have little to no moire or aliasing (for the most part)., it's very customizable, and it is a bargain for what it is. My biggest complaint is that the clicky buttons are much too shallow, and don't give adequate feedback when I'm pushing them to change white balance, ISO, etc., and that the AE/AF-L button is too close to the EVF, so whenever I want to back button focus, I have to move my eye from the EVF in order to press it. The title of this thread should be 'is there any need to get a GH5 for video?'.