Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

You mean on the G85?
Anyone know how it looks nest to the GX85?

I know there's plenty of GX85 footage floating around, but here are a couple videos I shot handheld a while back...

This was shot with a Minolta 28mm and a Cosmicar 25mm TV lens. I colored it with FilmConvert but it ended up a little more saturated than I had planned...

And here is another one I shot using the Monochrome L setting. I used a Rokinon 12mm cine lens.

23 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

You mean on the G85?
Anyone know how it looks nest to the GX85?

EDIT:
Might be a Potato Potaato type question.

Kidzrevil l is right, they both share the same 16MP sensor with no AA filter. The G85 has a chunkier body and OLED EVF, an SD card slot separate from the battery compartment,  an AF/M mode lever on the body, it's weather sealed and has mic input and mic level adjustment as well as the choice of luminance levels 16-255 or 0-255. It also has CineLike for a flatter profile if you like grading footage. The G85 has a fully articulating screen. The IBIS is second gen, some people had problems with that at the beginning, but cameras shipping now have firmware update. Choose the GX80/85 if you want something pocketable.

40 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@mercer that looks INCREDIBLE ! Which c mount lenses do you reccommend ? i know nothing about those type of lenses

I have a set of Cosmicar TV lenses at f/1.9, a couple Kern Paillard, a couple Fujinon TV lenses, a Meopta Openar 20mm and I have two Angenieux but the ones I have won't cover the G85 sensor. C-mounts are tricky for coverage. With the GX85 and G85 and GH4 opens up a little more usability due to the extra 4K crop, but to be safe you will want to keep your c-mounts at 25mm focal length or more so they won't vignette. Canon makes an old TV-16 25mm f1.4 originally used for their Scoopic 16mm cameras. 1" Television or TV c-mount lenses will usually just cover the sensor with a 12.5mm lens, but every c-mount is different. I did extensive research and trial and error to know what will work or not. The other issue with TV lenses is that a lot of them will not fit into a c-mount to micro 4/3reds adapter so some will need a little modification. Others won't have that issue. If you stick with lenses made for S16mm or 16mm cameras at 25mm or above they usually will fit in the adapter. There's also a cheap made in China lens called the Fujian that sells brand new for 20 or 30 bucks with a c-mount adapter that is a pretty cool little lens. But it's an effect lens at best. If you want quality look for either Zeiss Jena Tevidon lenses (Matthias has a great review of them) Fujinon, Kern or one of those canon. Vintage lenses for video has a review of the 13mm Canon on a BMPCC... I don't think that lens will cover the G85 but it will give you an idea of IQ of the 25mm.

• Super Members
29 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

where can I find the link to get more info on c mount lenses that work on m43 ? I seen a switar with swirly bokeh before and was blown away @mercer

I think there is a pretty decent thread here on the forum somewhere.
There is a great group on Facebook (Vintage lens for video).
There is also a group called C-Mount for m4/3 but I left the group after one of the moderators spread hateful propaganda against minorities.

Ive used a lot of cool c-mounts but mostly on s16 (close to the gh4 crop).

Here are some tests Ive made with various C-Mounts.

Kern Pailards

Zeiss Tevidon

Cheap Crap

C-Mount Zoom

• Super Members
1 minute ago, kidzrevil said:

that look is incredible @Mattias Burling it almost looks diffused, just the right amount of sharpness !! I like the distortion at the corners it reminds me of how full frame lenses render on full frame cameras. I gotta look more into these dude this is an incredible find

Pretty affordable since they are DDR and therefore quite cheap in former Soviet states. Im going to Riga in a few weeks.... :)

Yeah, there was a whole thread on here:

Pretty much specifically catered towards he BMPCC, but you get the idea. I personally quite dig the Kiev 16U set as seen on:

Check out: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Objektive/3323/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ssn=artemstore&_ipg=200&_dmd=2&_sop=16 , Artem usually rocks very nice sets and lenses like it.

At one point I was thinking about getting a Russian friend to organize me one of these to try out: http://shop.zenit-foto.ru/kinoob-ektivy (the 'cheap' originals, not the http://www.lumatechinc.com ones), maybe buy the whole bunch if I liked it. But I haven't really been using the BMPCCs that much these days. They should really do a BMPCC Mark II.

@Cinegain i am loving the look of these ?

It looks like it covers the full width of the sensor and for some lenses they go a lil more towards the edges hence the vignetting. Either way there is a strong look to these lenses I can see me rocking out with these. Thanks for the link if you have some more please post ! These seem like a great alternative to lumix lenses and speedbooster setups

16 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@Cinegain i am loving the look of these ?

It looks like it covers the full width of the sensor and for some lenses they go a lil more towards the edges hence the vignetting. Either way there is a strong look to these lenses I can see me rocking out with these. Thanks for the link if you have some more please post ! These seem like a great alternative to lumix lenses and speedbooster setups

Yup most are fast lenses and a lot have declicked apertures.

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

Most of those were shot with the G7, except the last one which was with the BMMCC.

Yeah, there are some ultracheap ones you can play around with, but as mercer said, they're more toy/effect lenses...

CPgQXOt.jpg

I've noticed some 'APS-C' C-mount with green rings have appeared on AliExpress. Curious what those are about. Maybe just the same as the non-green ring APS-C covering ones that did rounds like two years ago. There's a bunch of stuff listed here: https://rocksphoto.aliexpress.com/store/group/Camera-Lenses/701997_500545195.html . Though, I guess you can't beat the classic/quality vintage ones. But I wouldn't really know where to begin either. Guess it's the same with anamorphic. It's a completely different world you can get lost in.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Max Yuryev does a comparison of IBIS between the a6500, EM1 II and G85. Link here.

Hi, Thanks for that link. Very informative video by Max.

Almost seems like he didn't turn on the IBIS on Sony when the footage from all 3 cameras are compared side by side. Not sure if Oly IBIS is that much better or Sony IBIS is almost as good as non existent. Hmm..