Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

27 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I didn't notice. Your model was better than mine.

Haha, I the guess the tripod has some value after all ;) Love the IBIS though! 

If you look closely at my video the focus is on the forehead and cheeks while the nose and chin is slightly off. It may not matter but it would have been a better test with a smaller aperture. 

It's great to see other people test/footage and compare them to our own. To learn from each others "faults" and discuss these things is very valuable to me. Thanks for sharing!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
50 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

If you look closely at my video the focus is on the forehead and cheeks while the nose and chin is slightly off. It may not matter but it would have been a better test with a smaller aperture. 

It's great to see other people test/footage and compare them to our own. To learn from each others "faults" and discuss these things is very valuable to me. Thanks for sharing!

Do you think it makes sense to turn NR all the way down to -5? In my shots, it seems to increase detail a touch, and I didn't see a huge increase in noise.

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

Do you think it makes sense to turn NR all the way down to -5? In my shots, it seems to increase detail a touch, and I didn't see a huge gain in noise.

Yes, I would say so. I didn't see more noise in your youtube video with or without NR, and I agree it's looks a tiny bit crisper. Most of the recommendations I have seen is either -4 or -5 on NR. I have been using standard 0, -5, -5, 0 for a while and it works well for me. I could probably lower the saturation at times I suppose. 

9 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Yes, I would say so. I didn't see more noise in your youtube video with or without NR, and I agree it's looks a tiny bit crisper. Most of the recommendations I have seen is either -4 or -5 on NR. I have been using standard 0, -5, -5, 0 for a while and it works well for me. I could probably lower the saturation at times I suppose. 

Do you raise shadows at all?

11 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Fredrik Lyhne I think the third picture is the most pleasing, it has the softest contrast, the most flattering for the man's face. 

Nr 1 is 0/0, nr. 2 is +3/-3 and nr 3 is +5/-5. I think the settings were 0, -5, -5, 0 in this test. I've read so many times about people warning about using h/s. It may not increase DR to me it looks like it can be useful if you want a less contrasty image. Keep in mind that the more you lower h/s the more saturated your image gets.

I prefer image number 2 because I think the skin looks a little bit better. I don't think there is much in it and it also comes down to how you grade your files. Give it a try and see for yourself if you think there is anything in it?

I'd say a good idea to have the same compatibility as the requirements for the Video Assist 4K: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59010 . They gave me one of these with the camera: http://panasonic.net/avc/sdcard/product_lineup/index.html . So UHS-I U3 Class 10 R95W90 as a general rule is a solid purchase that you can put to good use. I've been a fan of SanDisk since the GH2 era when Kingston, Transcend etc let me down, the SanDisk Extreme Pro did it all!

The VA4K requires UHS-II cards, the G85 is compatible with UHS-II but doesn't need them, and UHS-II is way more expensive, so why bother?

I will second the suggestion of Sandisk Extreme Pro cards. Just make sure to buy from an authorized dealer so that you get a genuine card, there are a lot of fakes out there. And get the newer versions which are marked U3, they actually perform the same as the original U1 version, but some cameras will perform a check for the U3 designation, and will refuse the U1 cards, even though they're more than fast enough.

I personally like the compatibility. I already have some Lexar UHS-II 64GB ones, so I can use it with just about everything cross platform and what comes out next. Of course they'll get much cheaper over time once there's more competition and the standard actually gets to be the standard. Like I said, UHS-I U3 Class 10 R95W90 you should consider a solid purchase though.

On 1/4/2017 at 5:22 PM, Fredrik Lyhne said:

I tried again this morning, this time at ISO 1600, Standard, Sharpening -5, NR -5 and contrast at 0. I made sure the subject was in focus this time. :) ISO 1600 is perfectly fine. So I am a happy camper. Not sure if I'm going to stick with contrast at 0 though, because I think in contrasty lighting, I can save some of the shadows a bit by turning contrast down just a touch. More tests tomorrow morning to confirm. If some here think determining which settings are best for you with the GX80/85 or G80/85 is confusing, wait till we're confronted with the gazillion options in the GH5. Just looking at the spec sheet this afternoon was starting to make my head spin!

5 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Some new settings I came up with building off of my experience with the GH4. Let me know what you think everything is straight out of camera...the most I did is convert the footage from 0-255 to 16-235

Like it, but found it a bit "Teal & Orange"  (as with LPP Tetrachrome or Osiris Luts.)

How do you get those colors straight out the camera?

Could you share yours settings?

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

I tried again this morning, this time at ISO 1600, Standard, Sharpening -5, NR -5 and contrast at 0. I made sure the subject was in focus this time. :) ISO 1600 is perfectly fine. So I am a happy camper. Not sure if I'm going to stick with contrast at 0 though, because I think in contrasty lighting, I can save some of the shadows a bit by turning contrast down just a touch. More tests tomorrow morning to confirm. If some here think determining which settings are best for you with the GX80/85 or G80/85 is confusing, wait till we're confronted with the gazillion options in the GH5. Just looking at the spec sheet this afternoon was starting to make my head spin!

Cool! Post the test when it's done?