Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, John_Harrison said:

If you had to chose between the G85 (with a speedbooster) and the XT2, which would you pick? I've fallen in love with the XT2, but I'm not sure I can justify buying it when I can get the panny for half the price. The IBIS in the G85 makes this decision even harder because I'm using unstabilized lenses. 

I couldn't decide either - so I got both!

8 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

why don't you just get a gh3 if all you need is good 1080 ?

I think that could be the way to go, it's gonna give me weather sealing, headphones, and the availability of a good aftermarket eyepiece / cup which I need. Or maybe a GH4 as I think they'll be getting cheaper very soon. Cheers.

3 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I still find it hard to believe 800 is the max usable ISO. Maybe its the noise reduction setting kicking in. If the video noise reduction is as aggressive as the jpg reduction I would set the thing to -5 

I only shot a few clips at ISO 800, those are just my first impressions. I will try to go out and shoot at some high ISOs today, with default NR and at NR -5. I haven't used Neat Video in a long time because my computer takes forever to process with that plug in. 

2 hours ago, dantheman said:

The g80 should not be that different from the gx85? Much depends on what you find acceptable, I have no issue to use 3200 iso on the gx85, even 6400 iso is usable for me.

I've shot at ISO 6400 with the Fuji, and faces looked fine, but large dark walls in the background could be distracting. So a lot depends on the subject matter, what you personally find acceptable... and some noise isn't even going to be noticeable if your story is interesting anyway. If anyone here has shot with the GH4, I would never shoot beyond ISO 800, if that gives any indication of my tolerance for artifacts. Actually, what I may be objecting to is not the noise itself, but the NR softening  detail. Anyhow, off to shoot some more! ?

@Inazuma If I have time, I'll try another grade without the oompa.

45 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think that could be the way to go, it's gonna give me weather sealing, headphones, and the availability of a good aftermarket eyepiece / cup which I need. Or maybe a GH4 as I think they'll be getting cheaper very soon. Cheers.

I'm giving mine away, but first you'd have to come to Vietnam. ?

I listed mine on Craigslist for $615.00 USD, but I may have to go even lower now. Not that anyone in Vietnam would even ever consider shooting micro four thirds. 

I just finished shooting the G85 from ISO 200 to ISO 6400, will be going home soon to check results. I shot two clips at each ISO setting: one at default NR, and one at -5. It is not a scientific test, for one thing, because I adjusted exposure with the aperture rather than doing it in a studio and adjusting light levels. Shooting with the Nocticron, apertures ranged from around f/1.8 at ISO 200 to around f/10 at ISO 6400. The lens starts to reach its sweet spot at f/2-f/4, then begins to fall off a cliff after f/5.6, and by f/8 diffraction is already destroying resolution. I'll try to upload the test in a few hours.

Thx for the test, even 6400 iso looks fine to me, shooting at max 800iso is just not possible in real world situations unless you always have a light kit with you or you only shoot in daylight but this camera, just as the gx85 handles high iso's better then the gh4 does and makes shooting at 3200 or 6400 iso a possibility if you have no other choice, even if you have to deliver that footage to paying clients. I personally never had found the need to use neatvideo on any of my panasonics.

10 minutes ago, tonysss said:

This is my first work with G80... (Sigma 18-35 , Tokina 11-16 ) 

Looks nice! It looks like you used 2 camera's, are both the g80? I see you use the 18-35mm, Can I ask what type of speedbooster you use and if you like the lens for wedding use? I did see some shots where the focus was a bit off, is it hard to focus, or judge focus? I might get this lens as well to shoot weddings but need to know if the autofocus is reliable to use when pressing the shutter button.

22 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Another GX85 ISO test. Should be the same as G85 from what I have read.

Do both cameras have the same sensor and processor? How to account for the smudged detail in my video? Perhaps because in this video, the tones are much brighter, so it doesn't appear as bad? Focus bad in my video? Noise is much more apparent in the darker tones I believe. Still, you can see the softening of detail here... help me, god! If you look carefully at the green of his cap, you can see the artifacts. I think if you're shooting high key work, the noise won't be as obvious. I did learn one thing from this video, however: next time I do a low light test, I'll change the shutter speed, not the aperture! Anyhow, now you've encouraged me to go out and find a model and try again. 

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Do both cameras have the same sensor and processor? How to account for the smudged detail in my video? Perhaps because in this video, the tones are much brighter, so it doesn't appear as bad? Still, you can see the softening of detail here... help me, god!

I think so. I'm not sure about the smudged detail but it could be the brightness I guess? Could also be that focus is slightly off as he moves around a little and you're shooting handheld. His face look more smudgy than his arm I think and isn't his watch a lot crispier than his glasses? I don't know. If you look closely at my video on iso 6400 you can see that it's a little more smudgy on the temples than in the face. 

Nice footage though and NR at -5 sure makes a huge difference!

4 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

No sharpening. That's just the contrast adjustments.

Okay. Nice work. I think the focus may have been off on mine. I used pinpoint AF in manual focus mode, and hit the AF lock. I confirmed focus with peaking on his glasses. Could the AF be that messed up? In the field test I posted the other day, I used the same method for at least half the shots, and it didn't miss once. But this was low light... I mean, I was shooting at f/10 for the ISO 6400 shots. I'll go out and try again. Thanks!